PDA

View Full Version : Tower issues

Suprahunter
07-21-2017, 07:44 AM
I have a friend with a 2013 LSV . It has a two point tower that folds forward. There are two black plastic knobs to loosen then it will fold. One of the knobs locked up in the thread insert in the tower base and came out with the knob. I need the knob and the insert to fix it . Has anybody had this happen ? Does anybody know who makes the tower ?

JoelFett
07-21-2017, 07:46 AM
No idea, but following to find out. My tower was close to doing this, I had to tap clean the threads when I finally got the knob out. Hoping to not have to do it again...

sivs1
07-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Does Roswell make the towers and racks for Moomba and Supra?

TJG
07-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Roswell makes the new towers, not sure how far back they go.

JoelFett
07-21-2017, 02:38 PM
2013-2015 LSV uses the same tower, if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Suprahunter
07-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Well Atlanta Marine was as helpful as always Cindy said she didn't even know who makes the tower but a minute later she told the counter man the name of who to contact at Xtream towers. They just wanted the owner to bring the boat. Its hard to believe how far they have gone down since Cindy took over. I called White Lake Marine in North Carolina what a difference they were more than willing to track down the parts for me.

Suprahunter
07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
The Saga continues . White Lake never contacted me back even after three more messages were left . I put it back in the hands of the boat owner. He went back to Atlanta Marine. Now Cindy knows all about this issue there are four more boats with the same problem she is getting parts for all of them. So why the deception? Why tell me they never heard of this problem only a day earlier? I never asked for or expected any warranty or consideration . I just wanted to BUY the parts. This is not my first dealing with Cindy I own three Supras. Too bad the closest dealer to me is the last place I would ever go for parts or anything else. For all you guys with the two point Extreme towers you have to put anti seize on the threads of the lock down knobs or they may seize up. Its not written anywhere and I doubt the dealer ever told the customer about it.

aerolland
07-26-2017, 08:52 AM
The Saga continues . White Lake never contacted me back even after three more messages were left .

I feel your pain... I have nothing constructive to add other than when I was buying my current boat, it was on consignment at White Lake. Overall they came through but it was a heck of a process to get communication. They would never call back when they said they would - both sales and parts - and other than service records, I found myself much more knowledgeable of the boat and what it needed than they did. The owner supplying parts was part of the sale and of course he did it though them, but it was painful during the whole ordeal. Unfortunately, I can't say I would recommend them.

Have you thought about drilling out the threads and inserting a heli-coil? That would be a permanent solution and eliminate the galling of threads going forward. I believe you can even get stainless inserts. To get the old insert off, I would soak it in PB Blaster overnight and then use heat if necessary with vice grips... Possibly will ruin the knob, BUT in a pinch you could put a standard fastener in place so you can get back out on the water while you hunt for the real knob. Also, have you tried McMasterCarr for knobs?

nelswhytry
07-26-2017, 11:49 AM
I had the same exact issue happen late last summer and it was a nightmare. Brought it to the dealer and for repair, they said they could not replace just the insert screw that came out (it would be unsafe) and that I needed to buy a new base for the tower at a cost of $600. Took 3 months to get the new base part. Then they couldn't get the bolt/screw out to remove the tower from the base. Then they decided it was ok to just replace the insert part and not the whole base. It was a complete joke to deal with. Hope you have better luck.

Suprahunter
07-26-2017, 07:43 PM
The insert came out of the tower base and is seized to the threads on the knob . This is a quick no brainier repair if I could get a dealer to order the parts. This is a common problem that could be avoided by putting anti-seize on the threads . Too bad nobody told the boat owners that its also not in the manual .

Suprahunter
07-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Finally got the parts from Atlanta Marine . The instructions say to run a 1/2''x 13 tap through the base to clean up the threads and the insert can be screwed in by hand.
Good luck with that. The threads on the insert are not cut deep enough to just screw in it wont even start. I had to recut the threads on the insert also . After repeated attempts and trial fits I finally got it seated and the locking pins secured . I was told that SC doesn't use the XTP tower any more . Probably for the best my experience with both Atlanta Marine and XTP has been a week of aggregation poor to no customer service and bad engineering. All of this was caused by not informing the customer that the tower knob threads have to be covered with Anti seize.