PDA

View Full Version : Water comes out of 2nd side drain when I stop

slopland
07-21-2017, 02:13 AM
New to Moomba's and V drive's in general (always had a pontoon). I have 3 holes in the aft of the boat. Two on the starboard and one on the port. I know two of these are for the aft ballast bags, what is the 3rd one for? I have noticed that after we travel and I throttle down to idle, water will come out of that hole. Is this the drain for the engine cooling water??

Thanks,
sorry if this is a dumb question.

JoelFett
07-21-2017, 02:30 AM
Bilge pump. Getting that extra water out after a long run. Likely from either a small leak in the cooling lines somewhere, or an excessive shaft seal drip. As long as it only runs for a little bit after stopping, you'll be fine. If it's constant or quickly repeating, you might want to look into it, but it sounds like it's just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

slopland
07-23-2017, 09:15 PM
I paid close attention this weekend. If we sit for 2 hours, I notice about 1/4" water at the middle plug. The bilge pump does not come on. If we tube (10 minute runs approx) the bilge pump automatically comes on for about 10 seconds and some water comes out. I would estimate about 2 cups at the most. When my kids take a nap we run for about an hour straight to keep them cool. I typically do not get to plane and run about 18 mph. When we stopped I timed it and the bilge stayed on for about 2 minutes and pumped out water constantly. I have noticed it coming on when I stop after a short run, but it stays on for maybe 5 seconds and a small amount of water is expelled. What do you think. Do I have a problem?

Thank you much for your comment!

zabooda
07-23-2017, 10:50 PM
What Joel said is the probable cause. It leaks worse when under way. Take a look while underway and take the tools needed to tighten the gland nut and just maybe tightening may work. If not, the gland nut will need to repacked. See Youtube as it isn't difficult.

gregski
07-24-2017, 12:46 PM
What Joel said is the probable cause. It leaks worse when under way. Take a look while underway and take the tools needed to tighten the gland nut and just maybe tightening may work. If not, the gland nut will need to repacked. See Youtube as it isn't difficult.
Do the newer boats have a gland nut? They went away from them to the "dripless" system (starting in 2006?), but I'm not sure what the current system is.

rdlangston13
07-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Do the newer boats have a gland nut? They went away from them to the "dripless" system (starting in 2006?), but I'm not sure what the current system is.

Correct, a 2012 Mojo should have a dripless shaft seal so if it is leaking it may need to be replaced. Check all the ballast lines from where they come in on the bottom of the boat all the way to the bags, all trace out your raw water cooling lines and make sure you see no drips anywhere

slopland
07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Correct, a 2012 Mojo should have a dripless shaft seal so if it is leaking it may need to be replaced. Check all the ballast lines from where they come in on the bottom of the boat all the way to the bags, all trace out your raw water cooling lines and make sure you see no drips anywhere

What is the best way to do this? Run the boat for a while, stop and let the engine cool?. Also, the dripless shaft seal I assume is around the prop shaft where it enters the boat into the transmission?

rdlangston13
07-28-2017, 01:51 PM
What is the best way to do this? Run the boat for a while, stop and let the engine cool?. Also, the dripless shaft seal I assume is around the prop shaft where it enters the boat into the transmission?

make sure you get the bilge dry and put it in the water and have someone drive around at idle while you inspect everything would be how i would do it.

kaneboats
07-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Yes, then if you don't find anything start filling ballast bags one at a time and inspecting.

Mjhknox
07-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Yes, then if you don't find anything start filling ballast bags one at a time and inspecting.

This is my bet on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoelFett
07-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Look for this... this was from my stbd rear ballast as it passed by the engine on the way to the pump. The source of my similar issue. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/e2ca4cd4880dc63d2b10a3519ed10201.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

North Woods Mobius
07-29-2017, 11:39 AM
I had a similar problem with my ballast hose from my rear port locker ... I was wondering why my bilge pump kept running until I realized that my bag wasn't filling up! I opened up the locker and saw this :mad:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/25af36ed176567119769a26313dd6510.jpg

A quick trip into Ace hardware in town for one of these guys had me back in business an hour later!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/67da15a13dbb2a8fc665ea47aaf75c8a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

supra790
07-29-2017, 10:24 PM
When you come to a stop the water in your bilge comes forward to where the pump is located ( if you have 2 bilge pumps. I have one at the transom and one towards the front)

2016 Supra SG 450

Stazi
08-05-2017, 04:27 PM
My boat was doing this more and more and I thought maybe the shaft packing was leaking. Nope....lower fill/drain fitting on my port side bag was working it's way out and leaking water out of the ballast until it completely yanked free today. Had to glue those bitches in with PVC cement when I got home. Not coming out again, now. So my suggestion, check the fittings on you ballast bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slopland
08-23-2017, 12:48 AM
I greatly appreciate you all taking the time out to help me. I will check that this weekend!

Stazi
08-23-2017, 08:55 AM
I fix my leaking bad issue, but I still get that momentary squirt of water that comes out when I come off plane after surfing or wake boarding for a while. It's not as bad as before because I don't have a massive water leak. But it still is kind of intriguing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigOrange
08-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Just wanted to chime in .... very similar issue and thought it will be something that I address in off season. Noticed that after a session where ballasts are used I'll end up with ~2 to 3" of water in bilge that I have to remove the t-plug to drain once boat is on lift. Under of the rear ballast bags are pretty wet so I hope it is just a fitting issue. I upgraded bags at the beginning of season and did not use the PVC cement as suggested by many on the site (Wakemakers said that it wasn't a requirement).

BigOrange
08-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Update went out today with major water leaking from ballast bags as fittings were popping out. So count me in for the pvc cement once the off season arrives.