PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna members?

pat6969
07-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Long shot but is there anyone in the Kelowna area that would meet up with me for an hour and help me dial my boat in? I think it's good but frankly it's my first surf boat so I have no idea what is good and what's not. Let me know, I'll be there for 2 weeks starting Sunday. Thanks.

Hayden
07-20-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm a few valleys east (Invermere/Windermere), so not exactly close but definitely enjoying the sport. If you're ever in Columbia valley and looking to surf send me a message :cool:

pat6969
07-20-2017, 03:18 PM
That's a nice spot! We used to pass through there every year when our friends lived in Castlegar. Now it's Kelowna every year.

JHCMondo
07-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm in Kelowna but it's my first surf boat as well so not sure if i'm able to help.

Just keep an eye out for floating docks (1200 docks were destroyed or damaged), trees in the middle of the lake. Most of the debris should be gone but you never know.

Please don't surf close to shore or any docks as we are still in a flood situation. Surf in the middle of the lake and no one will care.

Also please don't get in the way of fire fighting aircraft filling up on the lake.

Other than that Welcome to Kelowna!

James

pat6969
07-20-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm in Kelowna but it's my first surf boat as well so not sure if i'm able to help.

Just keep an eye out for floating docks (1200 docks were destroyed or damaged), trees in the middle of the lake. Most of the debris should be gone but you never know.

Please don't surf close to shore or any docks as we are still in a flood situation. Surf in the middle of the lake and no one will care.

Also please don't get in the way of fire fighting aircraft filling up on the lake.

Other than that Welcome to Kelowna!

James

Thanks man! We usually head out to Kal lake to boat, I find the Okanagan choppy most days. I had a stern drive but bought the Mondo this year. I definitely would head to a spot where my wake doesn't pound into populated area's. East side of Kal is good for that since it's mostly cliffs.

JHCMondo
07-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks man! We usually head out to Kal lake to boat, I find the Okanagan choppy most days. I had a stern drive but bought the Mondo this year. I definitely would head to a spot where my wake doesn't pound into populated area's. East side of Kal is good for that since it's mostly cliffs.

There are a few spots where the water isn't as choppy depending on the direction of the wind.

Some times that "bay" between Peachland and the West Bank is pretty calm. Also around the corner from Rattle snake island as the lake makes a turn east towards Penticton.

Also if you go north of the bridge the bays north and south of Okanagan Lake resort are sometimes sheltered.

James

pat6969
07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
There are a few spots where the water isn't as choppy depending on the direction of the wind.

Some times that "bay" between Peachland and the West Bank is pretty calm. Also around the corner from Rattle snake island as the lake makes a turn east towards Penticton.

Also if you go north of the bridge the bays north and south of Okanagan Lake resort are sometimes sheltered.

James

Is there a decent launch on the west side, maybe on Boucharie road close to Westbank? Something with decent parking? Is that a good place to launch? We stay at my buddies place up in Crawford Estates so any recommendations would be appreciated. I hate driving all the way to Kal but the water is always glassy. I'd prefer to launch closer if I can find a good spot.

JHCMondo
07-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Is there a decent launch on the west side, maybe on Boucharie road close to Westbank? Something with decent parking? Is that a good place to launch? We stay at my buddies place up in Crawford Estates so any recommendations would be appreciated. I hate driving all the way to Kal but the water is always glassy. I'd prefer to launch closer if I can find a good spot.

There is a good boat launche by the West kelowna yacht Club. Parking is street parking and they allow vehicles with a trailer attached. You can do a sattelite view on google maps, it's off of Gellatly Road.

If you're in Crawford estates the closest and best boat launch is at the Hotel Eldorado. Lots of parking for vehicles with trailers at $5 a day. I think that is your best bet since it's literally a 10 minute drive from you and there is a ton of parking for only $5 a day.

James

JHCMondo
07-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Anyway if it's windy you may want to go to Kal Lake. Nothing much stopping waves from forming when the wind is up.