PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Cuts Out

TimGT3
08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Here are the symptoms, let me know what you think:
2006 Outback

1) when I hit the master radio switch, it takes about 3-6 seconds for the radio to work (this is normal, I am assuming)
2) sometimes (oh, maybe 10% of the time) it doesn't turn on at all and I have to toggle the switch on and off a time or two before I get power.
3) when radio is on without engine running, turning on the bilge pump cuts the radio.
4) When the radio cuts or doesn't turn on immediately, the light on the switch, as well as the radio faceplate backlight, slowly dims in and out without any audio
5) the last time this happened, I hit the seek button on the faceplate and the radio kicked back on.
6) I have never turned the radio master switch on and not had power to the switch light

Normally I keep the radio unit on and use the master switch to turn everything on/off then control it all with the driver mounted control. Am I doing this correctly or do I need to use the on/off function on the unit as well / does the radio reset thus requiring a function button to be pressed? The circuit reset button doesn't seem to help in this case, but then again, when the above condition occurs, I'm touching just about every button/switch that I see. BTW, why are the circuit reset buttons out in the open right next to the switches? It is that common to need to hit them?

If this sounds like some kind of issue (possibly a deeper eletrical glitch), I am going in for my 30-hour service soon and will have the dealer attempt to duplicate and resolve it. Just got off of a week-long lake vacation which put 10 hours on bringing the total to 27. Most of our time was spent running open-water sets at 22 off @ 30 mph. Very happy with a 3.75 gal/hour average.

lowdrag
08-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Just a guess but it sounds like you possibly have a loose ground or power wire somewhere. Have your dealer check it like you planned.

The reset buttons pretty much act like a fuse that you can use over again. They should only need to be used if you have a short or something other problem that pushes the amperage past their rating. As far as where they are mounted, I can't say I'm that fond of having to see them on the dash, but it's not really that big of a deal. It is convenient though to have them mounted next to the switch they work for. It makes things a little easier than crawling under the dash and looking at the labels on the breakers like the Supras have.

zabooda
08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I would say the stereo has a low voltage condition based on your stereo cutting out ( protective circuit cutting out for the 3-6 second delay) and the dimming of the lights. Check the positive and negative wires for good connections.

Put a voltmeter on the positive lead and recreate the conditions. The voltage should remain above 10.5 volts except for large loads such as starting. If the voltage drops below 10.5 volts, I would check the toggle switch,look to relocate the power lead or check the load that is creating the problem. The bilge pump may be the culprit by pulling too much current (impeller jammed). The breaker 'should' trip in that case.

Sounds like a load or connection problem. Trace the positive lead back with the voltmeter until the voltage doesn't drop.