PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Assault 310 carb, cracked block rebuild

eml0130
07-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Short story is I have a ~4" long horizontal crack in the block below the port exhaust manifold. No water in oil, compression is good as well. My question is can I get a 4 bolt main 5.7L Chevy long block out of a truck and tear it down to the short block and build it up new gaskets, etc and all of the good parts from the indmar engine that is in the boat?

The longer version is the prior owner did a JB weld repair job done that just started to leak, prior owner said no issues ever with the boat and the repair was sanded down and repainted to match the block so I didn't see it until it started to slowly leak. Upon sanding off the paint gray epoxy was there not bare metal. I called out the previous owner and he said that it must have been there when he had it meaning it had held for years prior to selling, but who knows, seemed like an honest guy when I bought it. For now I'm going to repeat the repair to keep it on the water and carefully monitor it, if the crack does spread and trash the block I'm into a new short block anyways so for a 17 year old boat I'm going to try.