PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Outback V

practically_A_G
07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Hi All,
I am new to the forum and new to Moomba boats, previously been riding around in my cousins Mastercraft X series. I am looking to get my first boat and the outbacks are right in my price range. I just had a couple questions before I went ahead and purchase one just because I am excited.

The one I am looking at is 4 hours away and the description is not the greatest.
Description from the add: "Outback V. Has 200 hours. Built in ballast system. Excellent condition."

Do the '12 Outbacks V...

1. Enough stock ballast weight to surf?
1a. If I need to add some extra weight, which bag brand do you all prefer?
1b. What location do you add them? lockers right next to the motor?
1c. What size? 500lb? 750lb?

2. Is the Moomba cruise good enough or is PP worth it?

3. Did the outback come with the flow system? If not I'll just get a wake gate of some kind.

4. Is there anything I should look for on a 200 hr boat?

Ed_Geary
07-12-2017, 11:22 AM
I have a 2009 Outback V and can help with some of your questions. My boat has 220 hours.

1. best with a minimum 750 lbs in each rear corner. Stock 400 in front is fine. It is possible to surf with the stock 400's in the corner.
a. Fly High
b. my boat - rear corners, ski locker is fine for me. Some folks put weight up front.
c. see 1
2. Perfect Pass Stargazer should be your choice
3. I think any surf system is an option
4. Lake test it and make sure everything works - if it has the Gravity III, fill and empty all bags.

By the way - I prefer the wave the Outback puts out better than the MC X I rode in.

Where are you located?

practically_A_G
07-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks Ed! I am located in ND/MN border.

I was looking at the wake makers upgrade, since it sounds like it replaces the existing ballasts. Then I wouldn't have to worry about opening up the lockers to fill and empty the ballasts. Does that sound correct? https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and-moomba-750-rear-upgrade.html

So the Moomba cruise sucks?

Ed_Geary
07-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I honestly can't state an opinion on the Moomba cruise, I've never used it.

I just love the PP because of the GPS. Keeps the speed right on and always constant. I have had nothing but PP in both my Moomba's

Wakemakers has some great ideas on ballast systems. They will work with you on a personal basis.

I highly recommend you open the lockers and visually check that the bags are empty every time you beach or trailer the boat.

kaneboats
07-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Some swear by the Moomba cruise, especially when they run in rivers with current as they can set speed relative to flow. With GPS you can only set speed and might need a couple of different settings to offset the current flow.

aquavette
07-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Moomba cruise works great for me.

In terms of surfing:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?29283-ANYONE-surfing-an-Outback-V

practically_A_G
07-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Going to check it out this weekend, they are asking 30k. It comes with extra ballasts, cover, & trailer. is that a good deal, bad deal, ok deal?

Ed_Geary
07-14-2017, 11:04 AM
30K for a 2012? I think that is a very good deal. I'm selling my 2009 for 27K.