PDA

View Full Version : Marine remote.

Leirhiht
07-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Finally got my tower speakers installed, I had to buy a new head unit and now I can't use the remote next to the throttle or at the back of transom.
Is there a way to retro fit mine to this Kenwood head unit I just got or will I have to buy new Ken wood remotes.

I Got a 08 mobius and it came with that oval shaped remote not even sure what brand it is because it is rubbed off. Think they were standard on most moombas. Any ideas?

gregski
07-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Those original remotes are Aeware and were made to work with Kenwood head units. It should just work if everything is wired correctly.

Leirhiht
07-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Those original remotes are Aeware and were made to work with Kenwood head units. It should just work if everything is wired correctly.

Hmm so is there a plug that goes into the head unit or is it wired to the existing harness some how? We didn't see any extra wires except for one we took out of The old Kenwood which looked like a aux cable. The new Kenwood headunit has a circular female connector with about 10 or 15 holes for pins

gregski
07-11-2017, 11:44 AM
On the wiring harness there is usually something for "steering wheel remote control" or similar, that is the wire to connect to. I don't know what color wire Moomba used from the remote so you'll have to trace that back.

MGX
07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
On my 06 LSV the remote does not work. Is there anything in particular I should look at first before I try and tear it all apart?

Leirhiht
07-11-2017, 02:21 PM
On the wiring harness there is usually something for "steering wheel remote control" or similar, that is the wire to connect to. I don't know what color wire Moomba used from the remote so you'll have to trace that back.

Who do you think would be the best person to contact to find that info out? Aeware, skiers choice, or Indmar? Kenwood is trying to sell me a whole new HU

sivs1
07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
The HU regardless of brand must have the Steering Wheel Compatible option in order for the remotes to work.

gregski
07-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Who do you think would be the best person to contact to find that info out? Aeware, skiers choice, or Indmar? Kenwood is trying to sell me a whole new HU
Trying to figure out the wire in the boat? If it were me, I'd crawl under the helm and follow it from the remote and figure out which wire it is, then I'd go under the head unit behind the seat and find that wire. Short of DIY, a competent installer could do this, otherwise you'll have to contact Skiers Choice as they'd be the only ones who know what they did.

Like sivs1 said, you should verify that your HU has the steering wheel remote input but I believe it's fairly standard.

Leirhiht
07-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Trying to figure out the wire in the boat? If it were me, I'd crawl under the helm and follow it from the remote and figure out which wire it is, then I'd go under the head unit behind the seat and find that wire. Short of DIY, a competent installer could do this, otherwise you'll have to contact Skiers Choice as they'd be the only ones who know what they did.

Like sivs1 said, you should verify that your HU has the steering wheel remote input but I believe it's fairly standard.

Yes that is what I plan to do this weekend. Boat is 30 miles from house, I was just trying to get an idea. HU definitely has steering wheel controls. Hopefully I can trace that wire down. I'm skeptical though because the old HU didn't have steering wheel controls.

Broke Pilot
07-12-2017, 10:49 AM
The factory Kenwood head units and those rectangular/round sided remotes run off of a 7-8 pin cable. Black, should run up he drivers side of the boat. It has a barrel connector on both ends. If you can get behind the head unit it'll be pretty obvious.

Which new head unit did you get from Kenwood? Only their marine series can use the newer remotes. And since he new remotes can do way more than the old ones they require running a new cable that has more pins like was mentioned earlier.
On my 06 24SSV I put a new Kenwood kmr-m318bt head unit (finally have Bluetooth, no CD player, it's just a media hub) and the KCA55MR remote with the 7 meter cable. Works fantastic. Unfortunately the remote requires drilling a bigger hole on the back of the boat. Totally worth it though.

Leirhiht
07-12-2017, 11:19 AM
The factory Kenwood head units and those rectangular/round sided remotes run off of a 7-8 pin cable. Black, should run up he drivers side of the boat. It has a barrel connector on both ends. If you can get behind the head unit it'll be pretty obvious.

Which new head unit did you get from Kenwood? Only their marine series can use the newer remotes. And since he new remotes can do way more than the old ones they require running a new cable that has more pins like was mentioned earlier.
On my 06 24SSV I put a new Kenwood kmr-m318bt head unit (finally have Bluetooth, no CD player, it's just a media hub) and the KCA55MR remote with the 7 meter cable. Works fantastic. Unfortunately the remote requires drilling a bigger hole on the back of the boat. Totally worth it though.

That's the same headunit I bought. I didn't see a barrel connector with that many pins coming from the remote. I only saw this wire on the old head unit that I suspect is what ran the remote...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/Leirhiht/20170712_101652_zpsi2330gcv.jpg (http://s934.photobucket.com/user/Leirhiht/media/20170712_101652_zpsi2330gcv.jpg.html)

gregski
07-12-2017, 12:31 PM
That's the same headunit I bought. I didn't see a barrel connector with that many pins coming from the remote. I only saw this wire on the old head unit that I suspect is what ran the remote...

Those white, oval, Aeware remotes use a single wire (serial IR protocol). The fancier remotes Broke Pilot is talking about have a display, etc and use a 7 pin cable.

Broke Pilot
07-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I guess moomba used a different factory remote than the supra. Sorry