PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new 07 XLV

Tow Daddy
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm new to this site.

I currently have a 04 LSV and looking at going to the XLV my questions is?

Is the XLV a boat that you can Ski behind?

My LSV is nice but need a bigger boat.

Thanks for imput

Tow Daddy

Ian Brantford
08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
I have a 2005 XLV. This is definitely not a boat that is appropriate for skiing! It's too heavy and deep-hulled to make a small wake below 30MPH.

Tow Daddy
08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
How about at 33mph and with the wake plate down?

thanks for your imput

WBCowboy
08-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Tow Daddy,

I asked this same question about a month ago and everyone said that the XLV was to big. But they all also said to go down and test drive the boats and also see if your dealer would let you ski behind the boat. If you slalom from what i was told by alot of people the XLV is not the boat. I hope this hleps.

Tow Daddy
08-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I would test ski behind if my Dealer had one.

Thanks for the info

Ian Brantford
08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
What I should have said that 30MPH is the speed at which I stop worrying about how many cottagers have me in their gunsights. :-)

Between 30 and 35, I'd still say that the wake is too big for skiing. However, I'm not a skier, and I've never actually been towed at all at that speed. So, if you can acquire first-hand knowledge in a test ride, that's better. I would still assume that' it's not the right boat until then, though. Note that there is no D-Drive version of the XLV.

... or easier: are there ANY skiers here with an XLV?

Where are you located? Maybe there is an XLV owner near you who'll take you for a pull. I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Ian

JoeTechie
08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
FYI - the 06/07 LSV IS a bigger boat than the one you own. Not by much, but 10" longer and 2" wider, and the storage areas are larger. I actually think there is as much seating room in the new LSV as the XLV because of the rear facing lounger. I'm also not a fan of Play pen bows.

Curious - why the need for the larger boat ? Also if you have lots of people / stuff on ANY boat, the wake is going to be larger, less ski friendly. No matter what the hull size is.

-J

Tanners
08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Too Big for Skiing? What's up with that? People ski behind 33-foot Sea Ray Cruisers and 16-foot pontoon boats. It might be too big for skiing if you're a tournament skier but if you're out there to have a good time this is a great boat. I know, I have one.

My sons and I ski behind it and love the bigger wake. I taught 2 people how to ski behind it last week. Trust me - this is a great boat.

Mine does have the biggest engine available and I emptied the ballast bladder and kept it planed out well while skiing. We had the perfect-Pass set at about 22 MPH. This combination worked great.

16-person capacity means that the 6 of us that were on it all week last week were always comfortable. The cooler in the floor is one of the best ideas I have seen.

We are not tournament skiers though and I can't speak for them. But as for having a great time and being comfortable - this is a good choice.

WBCowboy
08-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Tanners,

That is sweet to hear, I posted the same quistion but no one got back to me about skiing behind a XLV. They just told me its not a good idea cuz of the boat size. I am glad someone post that has a XLV and who has skied behind it also. You just helped make my mind up between the SLV or the XLV. Thank you very much.

Danny