PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump?

SkiBoy
08-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I have had intermittant losses of power while skiing. The engine sounds like it is not getting enough fuel. It bogs down and then starts up again. It does it a few times and then it is several days before the next episode. The impeller and temperature is fine, so it is not heat related. I smell excess fuel being burned off on startup sometimes. Could this be a fuel pump or electrical problem? It is a 99 Outback LS with about 500 hours. I don't recall having changed the fuel pump before. Thanks! Allen

tlrowe
08-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I had a similar problem last year. I thought the engine was not getting fuel for a second and then it would catch back up. I only noticed it while I was pulling someone, but not all the time. Turned out to be a problem with the prop. A couple of the blades were bent a little from something I hit. Replaced the prop and the problem went away.

txnx
08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
my problem was fouled spark plugs. cleaned them got a couple of days from it, but I will have to replace them when I have more time.

NH Moomba
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Mine experienced momentary loss of power at speed several times and when I described the symptoms to the local dealer, he didn't say a word - he handed me a new fuel filter/water separator which took about 5 minutes to install. He also sold me some isopropyl based dry gas and the problem went away. It seems that NH recently switched to 10% methanol gas and the stuff just sucks up water vapor. We had a very wet early summer and I did leave the tank nearly empty for a week. He said the methanol has been causing a lot of similar problems. Mine is a 2000 Outback LS with the MPI motor.

SkiBoy
08-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll let you guys know how it works out witht the fuel separator and dry gas. Allen

CWS_Kahuna
08-23-2006, 03:30 PM
You might want to check the fuel pump pressure switch. I thought I had a fuel pump problem but it ended up being this switch. You should be able to follow the wires from your fuel pump to the switch, mines located towards the back of the motor on my 2001 Mobius.

SkiBoy
08-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all of the info! I changed the fuel water seperator and added the isopropyl dry gas and after 15 ski runs.....no problems. I found some water in the old fuel filter (which was new this spring) when I emptied it into a bucket to inspect the contents.
This forum has been a real friend to me. Thanks to all! (I will try to find the fuel pump pressure switch today)

Allen