PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Battery

Clamcakes
07-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Anybody have a battery explode?? Got my boat out of storage late April to summerize. Checked on the batteries and noticed one of the caps was on the outside of the battery box and lying on the carpet!! Was thinking 'what the heck' why is the cap there. Took the battery box cover off and saw that the battery exploded sometime over the winter. Glad they were in battery boxes as my amps are mounted inches away from the batteries.

I will say I got my money's worth out of this battery as I was going on the 6th summer on this battery. I'm assuming with the battery being old and my ProSport charger on it, that it couldn't keep a charge anymore and exploded. Piece of advice if you don't have your batteries in battery boxes, go get them in ASAP.

Stazi
07-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Whoa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
07-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Either it was hydrogen generation with an accompanying spark or the specific gravity of the battery was low enough to allow the liquid to freeze and cracked the case. Was the boat stored in freezing temperatures? The other scenario would be over charging and the damage IMO would have been much worse.

Clamcakes
07-06-2017, 07:29 PM
We didn't get a freeze this past year (live in North Texas). Boat sits in a covered storage (all sides covered except bow). Damage looks pretty bad to me, top completely exploded. Glad I have the batteries in boxes.

blackout_58
07-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Experienced the same exact thing 2 years ago during winter storage after 4yrs. What I found out was that during the trickle charge one of the liquid cells dried out and subsequently overheated and exploded similar to yours. I had to clean the seats thoroughly as I got lucky and found it the following day. To your point, yes this can and could continue to happen after multiple years of use.

zabooda
07-06-2017, 11:31 PM
I've talked to a lot of people who have ruined perfectly good motorcycle batteries with a poorly operating trickle charger. The Battery Tender is all I will use. Many chargers don't have the circuitry to control the voltage thus cooking a battery.

5:00
07-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I always remove my batteries for the winter. I got one of these and it has been working flawlessly. Auto senses what it is charging, built in overcharge protection, can charge different types of batteries at the same time and a ton of other features. You name it and it will charge it. I think I paid about $80 two summers ago so either their list on the site is high or prices went way up.
https://no.co/g4

https://noco-thenococompany.netdna-ssl.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1440x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/G/4/G4-6V-12V-4-Bank-Automatic-Car-Battery-Trickle-Charger-Maintainer-PT01.jpg