PDA

View Full Version : Still Struggling... /LSV Setup Help

NoleAlum
07-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Everyone

Still struggling w surf wave for a year, even after upgrades and getting frustrated so could use some additional advice. Had it dialed in once with 5 adults and a kid but can't replicate with less people. Know others have small crew so any help would be appreciated.
SETUP:
1100's in rear
Factory 400 in belly
750 Fly-High IBS in bow
Suck gate on 2nd level of gunnel
Verified 10.5 or so mph
PROBLEM:
Wave looks decent but short pocket and not much push, especially further back.

EXAMPLE:
3 adults with daughter surfing regular. Port almost full, starboard 75-80%, belly and IBS full. 2 adults on surf side and played around with wake plate. She has new board and can surf ropeless all day behind friend's boat but could only go until she made 1st cut and would fall off. Know everyone says bow weight will give more push but have 750 and moved one adult to bow and she still struggled. I surfed goofy with similar last week (both rears full) and no push.

Like I said had great one with more adults but can't seem to replicate. Is hull that sensitive? Pictures below are when it was great.

More speed? More weight? Less/more list?

Thanks in advance for help.. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/2c38c1d56ccec361c803904b658655b0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/cbf20e0cae27da5285ac80c6f6a02e99.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JoelFett
07-03-2017, 06:44 AM
I fill everything full, put suck gate all the way at the back, plate at 25% and have people sit on surf side. I have gotten some good waves with that.

Stazi
07-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Buddy has same boat (2010 LSV) and we run plate all the way up. Suck gate sticks out 90 and as far back as possible so the blade is under the first letter of LSV that is closest to the front. We run everything full except non-surf side rear at 50%. Then an extra 400lb bag on surf side seats and everyone sits as far back and on surf side as much as possible. Sometimes if crew is only 2-3 we run another 300lbs across rear bench. His wave is the best I have surfed.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/fa170c4b3ae8e1e47d021608ac79e761.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/6beac3fc2780a2a13f93cc9b9cc0dcf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Woods Mobius
07-03-2017, 08:04 AM
I fill everything full, put suck gate all the way at the back, plate at 25% and have people sit on surf side. I have gotten some good waves with that.

This^^^. My '14 LSV really needs to list to get us the best wave possible. With 2 teenagers + 2 adults surfing regular side we go with:
1) Surf side 900lbs @ 100%
2) Non-surf side 900lbs @ 50%
3) IBS 500lbs @ 100%
4) Suck gate all the way back just below the bevel of the hull OR Manual Flow Plate at #2
5) Wake plate Down
6) Extra adults on the surf side corner (with one on the locker cover all the way at the end of the stern)
7) 10.5mph

For surfing goofy, we run the same but 0.5 mph slower and the non-surf side at 0% (the non-surf side swim platform is literally out of the water). We ran this set up all day yesterday and it worked great. One of my sons is heading home this morning so I'll replace him with an extra 650lbs bag under the surfside seat :). Good luck, and I hope you can dial it in and get some good sessions in for the 4th!

russellsmojo
07-03-2017, 12:42 PM
I don't know your boat but why wake plate down? I run mine pretty much up.

Sp8
07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/jsp8/image_zpsntqqy3va.jpeg

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/jsp8/image_zpssza0ugcy.jpeg

My set up is pretty similar to yours. When we only have two or three in boat, i add 540 bag up in the bow on the surf side. Also favor more bodies on surf side. My gate is a little further forward, but we have had good luck further back also...this is just the best for us. I run 11.2 now with wake-plate mostly up. Rest of my set-up is in the signature.

Good luck!!!

JoelFett
07-03-2017, 10:19 PM
This is my wave on my 2015 with the suck gate and all bags full (1100's in back and hard tank plus 500 IBS in front.) 11.2 mph with plate at 25%ish.

Please forgive the flailing man impression, Fell out after a 360. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170704/fdbe45c00466ee8280adffa85e7b12ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rca
07-03-2017, 11:47 PM
I've got a 2011 LSV with basically your setup. I like a huge wave with lots of push (I'm a big dude). I run the bow full, ski locker full, 1100 on surf side full and 1100 on non surf side about 70% full. We usually run at 10.2mph and wake plate all the way up and the suck gate on.

My wave will look like yours in the picture of your daughter if I forget to put the wake plate all the way up.

Here's goofy with just me in the boat setup as above.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/nsdhusband/4B42822B-3B0E-4633-83D3-5226DF27FBD1_zpsf6kcjmzn.png

North Woods Mobius
07-04-2017, 01:57 PM
When we're only 3 or 4 on the boat (like this weekend) and only a 500lbs IBS, I tend to put the few extra bodies in back where I need them most and compensate with the wake plate down. With more folks in the boat I can throw someone up front and go with the wake plate up.

With twin boys in college and a competitive high school swimmer, it's getting harder and harder to have all 3 of my boys join us for long weekends at the lake, so I gotta find new ways to set up my LSV :)

I don't know your boat but why wake plate down? I run mine pretty much up.

costanza
07-04-2017, 06:06 PM
This^^^. My '14 LSV really needs to list to get us the best wave possible. With 2 teenagers + 2 adults surfing regular side we go with:
1) Surf side 900lbs @ 100%
2) Non-surf side 900lbs @ 50%
3) IBS 500lbs @ 100%
4) Suck gate all the way back just below the bevel of the hull OR Manual Flow Plate at #2
5) Wake plate Down
6) Extra adults on the surf side corner (with one on the locker cover all the way at the end of the stern)
7) 10.5mph

For surfing goofy, we run the same but 0.5 mph slower and the non-surf side at 0% (the non-surf side swim platform is literally out of the water). We ran this set up all day yesterday and it worked great. One of my sons is heading home this morning so I'll replace him with an extra 650lbs bag under the surfside seat :). Good luck, and I hope you can dial it in and get some good sessions in for the 4th!
Mine is similar to this one... 1100 surf side full, non surf side 50%, Ibs 750 full, wake plate all the way down (never have much luck with it all the way up like many, and speed is at 11mph. Suck gate (I'm using nauticurl - it works well) and have it above bevel as far back as it goes. If I put it below bevel I find wave is not as good... Wave is pretty good - good enough for my 10 year old daughter to stick 360's now!!! Proud papa!!

Jeepers
07-07-2017, 01:30 AM
Like everyone said wake plate up. I run mine at 50%. Increase your speed to 11.2 - 12 ='s more push. I have an 08 LSV with no IBS, 580 in center locker & 1100's on each side in the rear. Play with your gate either up or down. When you're at surf speed you want the top of the gate slightly out of the water to create turbulence on the gate side of the boat. Push and length are more important than height. More speed gives you more push, center/bow weight gives your more length.

Jeepers
07-07-2017, 01:35 AM
now that I look at your first picture, your gate is on the wrong side of the boat. The gate should always be on the opposite side of the surfer. Port for goofy and starboard for normal (left foot forward). This angles the boat at is moves through the water lengthening the convergence on the opposite side of the wake.

trayson
07-07-2017, 03:09 AM
Do you have the stock swim platform? If so, it could very likely be digging into the wave which actually makes the wave less clean and takes away push (in most of our opinions that have made custom ones) and obviously if the platform wasn't an issue, why would ALL the manufacturers have gone to the shape of surf platforms...

My platform is only as wide as the tie down loops and tapers in to match the contour of the wave coming off the rear corner of the hull. it also has a smooth bottom with no lip that digs into the wave.

http://i.imgur.com/qBBKAeN.jpg

contrast that to the OEM platform. Note, this was when I was building it before I rounded the corners of my surf platform to match the contour of the water coming off the hull. so you can see how much my OEM would be digging into the wave by looking at the above pic vs. this one.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_kz7WRTkWXI/VDhvPMFrW9I/AAAAAAAAUiE/mPjziJzcVlI/s800/20141010_142437.jpg

NoleAlum
07-07-2017, 08:58 AM
now that I look at your first picture, your gate is on the wrong side of the boat. The gate should always be on the opposite side of the surfer. Port for goofy and starboard for normal (left foot forward). This angles the boat at is moves through the water lengthening the convergence on the opposite side of the wake.
I do have suck gate on opposite of surfer. It looks like a little rooster tail but think that is from swim platform. To Trayson's point I have stock platform and think it is cutting into wave. May be a project this fall....

Jeepers
07-07-2017, 08:59 AM
I do have suck gate on opposite of surfer. It looks like a little rooster tail but think that is from swim platform. To Trayson's point I have stock platform and think it is cutting into wave. May be a project this fall....

That's odd. I have the stock platform as well. What prop are you running?

moombahighrider
07-07-2017, 09:59 AM

I never changed out my stock platform on my 08 lsv and had a rockin wave on both sides. Sure, the platform cuts into the wave a touch, but it's not your issue for now. Focus on other areas. I know for my lsv, I had to list the boat big time to get the wave I wanted. Make sure the wakeplate is in the correct position, i.e.- mostly up (which allows the stern of the boat to sink down into the water and the bow will be up more). This will help with push/ height of the wave. I used to run my lsv plate about 3/4 the way up.

I can't remember what speed you said you are going but faster speeds produce a longer wave and less push. The opposite for slower speeds.

Isaguel
07-08-2017, 10:47 AM
What lowers the wave reduces push:
Faster speeds lower the wave
Front weight lowers the wave
Wake plate down lowers the wave

Raise wakeplate all way up.
Empty front ballast to only 20%
Set wake plate all way up
Deploy opposite side surf tab to 90%
List the boat by filling opposite rear bag to 80%
Don't surf, just watch wave.
Drive slow, 8.5 mph and increase speed until you get a nice curl. It'll be very tall, tons of push but short, then start adding front ballast weight to lengthen it. Watch that you don't make the wave too low. Then try surfing it.
This setup will change depending how many passengers you have.
I'd say do this every time you go out as it'll always be different depending on how much passenger weight your carrying.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk