PDA

View Full Version : Going nuts trying to pick out the appropriate amps!

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Just picked up new towers and cabins. The towers are Rockford pm282-w 8" rated at 200 watts per (100 rms) at 4 ohms and the cabins are Rockford 0652 Primes rated at 100 watts per (50 rms) at 4 ohms. I've been looking for the appropriate amps to pair these with but I'm starting to get more confused the more I look. I'd like to run two amps, one for the towers and one for the cabins. I also have a sub I wouldn't mind throwing in the mix. Anyone have any specific product recommendations? Thanks.

Zk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
07-03-2017, 06:53 AM
First choice, Wet Sounds HTX-2 for the towers = 150W rms, HTX-4 for in-boats = 110W rms to four or 75W rms if you have six.

Second choice, Kicker KXMA400.2 for the tower = 100W rms to each, KXMA400.4 for the in-boats = 50W rms to each.

Depending on the woofer, you could go HTX-6 or Kicker KXMA800.5 for the in-boats and woofer.

Stazi
07-03-2017, 08:12 AM
I went with MLA's Kicker option. Only difference is I went with Kicker 400.4 bridged for the towers, and Kicker 800.5 for in boats and sub. The rear pairs of the in boats (4speakers) are wired parallel to two channels and then the 2 bow speaker are off the other 2 channels, and of course the sub has its own channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Okay so I do have the six cabins, does it matter which are wired parallel to the same channel? Does it subtract from the total wattage or just the wattage of that channel? I think I'm going to go the kicker route. I have an event this week will the Boss r3002 run the towers efficiently til the kicker set arrives?

Stazi
07-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Those Boss amps are total garbage. I just ran the rear pairs together as they are situated close together, then I adjusted the gains so that rear pairs on one channel, and the bows sound equal.

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Those Boss amps are total garbage. I just ran the rear pairs together as they are situated close together, then I adjusted the gains so that rear pairs on one channel, and the bows sound equal.

I don't have any local retailers that sell audio, other than Walmart. Whatever I order today will not be here by Thursday therefore I need to buy something to be able to use this weekend and return once whatever I choose comes. Walmart is my only option and they have the Boss r3002, some sound is better than no sound.

Zk

sandm
07-03-2017, 09:44 AM
therefore I need to buy something to be able to use this weekend and return once whatever I choose comes.

As a Walmart manager, I do take offense to this sentence...
pay for upgraded shipping to have them on time or take a portable speaker...
one of the reasons goods cost more and why some retailers are going out of business. you wouldn't do this to your local stereo shop.

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 10:04 AM
As a Walmart manager, I do take offense to this sentence...
pay for upgraded shipping to have them on time or take a portable speaker...
one of the reasons goods cost more and why some retailers are going out of business. you wouldn't do this to your local stereo shop.

Did not ask for your opinion. Thanks.

Stazi
07-03-2017, 10:20 AM
You run more chance of damaging a speaker by pushing it too hard without enough wattage. So getting that boss amp to power those towers may end up damaging them as those amps are always way underrated for what they claim. I would just not waste the time and money getting a cheap amp, just for this event. Just suck it up and wait for the right amp to arrive.

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 10:36 AM
You run more chance of damaging a speaker by pushing it too hard without enough wattage. So getting that boss amp to power those towers may end up damaging them as those amps are always way underrated for what they claim. I would just not waste the time and money getting a cheap amp, just for this event. Just suck it up and wait for the right amp to arrive.

What sub are you running with that kicker?

Stazi
07-03-2017, 10:45 AM
12" COMP RT

MLA
07-03-2017, 11:17 AM
With 4 tower pods, a 2 chnl is likely going to get you more wattage for the money and can be easier to wire and is easier to tune compared to a 4 chnl amp.

It does but doesn't matter which in boats get paired. I like to retain stereo and wire port mid and aft on one chnl and then STBD mid and aft on other chnl. Bow pair each on their own. Same way whether it's a 4 chnl or 5 chnl.

In a pinch any full range multi chnl amp will drive the tower speakers for you.

Just to clarify. My options listed above was based solely on wattage and dollars and had nothing to do with a difference in quality, performance or reliability. I run both with zero hesitation.

Zkdk3000
07-03-2017, 12:22 PM
With 4 tower pods, a 2 chnl is likely going to get you more wattage for the money and can be easier to wire and is easier to tune compared to a 4 chnl amp.

It does but doesn't matter which in boats get paired. I like to retain stereo and wire port mid and aft on one chnl and then STBD mid and aft on other chnl. Bow pair each on their own. Same way whether it's a 4 chnl or 5 chnl.

In a pinch any full range multi chnl amp will drive the tower speakers for you.

Just to clarify. My options listed above was based solely on wattage and dollars and had nothing to do with a difference in quality, performance or reliability. I run both with zero hesitation.

Beautiful! Thanks!

Zk

sandm
07-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Did not ask for your opinion. Thanks.

did not ask if you asked.

pretty shitty thing to do to buy with the intention of using and returning and advertising it online. speaks volumes to your ethics...
you wouldn't do that to MLA's business as if you did he would be out of business and not able to offer outstanding advice but I guess it's ok to do it to a nameless faceless conglomerate of a business.

if you do end up going that route, may your speakers blow. karma is a bitch don't ya know......

Zkdk3000
07-04-2017, 09:12 AM
did not ask if you asked.

pretty shitty thing to do to buy with the intention of using and returning and advertising it online. speaks volumes to your ethics...
you wouldn't do that to MLA's business as if you did he would be out of business and not able to offer outstanding advice but I guess it's ok to do it to a nameless faceless conglomerate of a business.

if you do end up going that route, may your speakers blow. karma is a bitch don't ya know......

Don't you have some shelves to stock? Take a hike bud.

David Analog
07-04-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't have any local retailers that sell audio, other than Walmart. Whatever I order today will not be here by Thursday therefore I need to buy something to be able to use this weekend and return once whatever I choose comes. Walmart is my only option and they have the Boss r3002, some sound is better than no sound.

Zk

THIS ^^^^. This is not okay! Ethically as wrong as it gets. Once that retailer has a returned product, it is an open box, it is used, and can never be sold as new again. Now that product must be sold at a deep discount and costs the retailer considerable money. The transaction cost hard dollars plus human resources as it had to be processed twice. The real cost to the retailer might be several hundred dollars. That's just outright theft in my book.

sandm
07-04-2017, 10:07 AM
nope, I work on the logistics side. if I was in the store side, I would try to make sure there were no boss amps to buy until sunday to avoid the sell and return. heck, at $50 for that amp, buy it, use it, and keep it for another project. used that same amp to replace an old school soundstream reference series in a truck I sold in march. never know when you'll need a cheap amp to sell with something.

it's not ok to do this and you're going to do what you're going to do but if the amps you are waiting to ship show up and have been previously installed and returned for the same reason as someone was waiting for wetsounds, bet you'd be pissed.

good luck with whatever you do as it's your morals/ethics. I know there are others on here that are thinking the same thing just not typing it.

edit: thanks david. as a prior store owner, you get it....

Zkdk3000
07-04-2017, 10:29 AM
I'll make sure to take an extra hard look in the mirror tomorrow morning, thanks fellas.

MLA
07-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Hate to dog pile, but even as large as a retailer walmart is, its not a fair practice to make a return in this manor. Keep the amp or wait till the amp of choice can be sourced.

johnjack11
07-11-2017, 08:28 AM
You run more chance of damaging a speaker by pushing it too hard without enough wattage.

jmvotto
07-11-2017, 08:44 AM
think this thread ran its heated course for the holiday weekend.