PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Leak

SkiBoy
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
My 99 Outback LS has a small amount of Tranny fluid leaking from the underside of the transmission. Anyone have an idea apart from the front seal failing? I will have the boat in the water for another 6 weeks. So far the amount of fluid is constant. A little when cruising, a bit more under the stress of a ski run. I put a towel under the spot where it leaks and it isn't an alarming amount. My question is it okay to continue the way I have been,and moniter the leakage? Any chance of major transmission damage? I know a new one runs around $1,600. Thanks , Allen

CT Skier
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I just bought my Moomba and I have detected no problems thus far, however, my '83 MC had a tranny leak (blown seal) and so long as I kept the fluid level within operating limits I had no issues.
I would definetely get the tranny checked as soon as possible however-the leak may be a symptom of a larger problem...

Sean

SkiBoy
01-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I took it in for winterizing and had the front seal replaced. It was leaking too much fluid to just keep filling it up. I skied more than 40 hours on it after the leak was first noticed, but I feel better now that the seal is new. I also had the prop alignment checked and it was within specs. I had thought that maybe the tranny was causing the screeching noise I reported about earlier. That turned out to be an extra piece of packing rope that was stuck in the shaft ring! It was causing the shaft to rub against the brass nut. No serious damage except a little scoring of the shaft. I won't let that happen again.

mtfboaz
09-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Hello. Did you have the front seal or rear seal replaced. I am told the rear seal can be replaced without removing the transmission.

Thanks