PDA

View Full Version : Ballast bag cleaning???

pat6969
06-26-2017, 03:19 PM
So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical? Also, do you guys take your bags out occasionally and run clean water through them to clean the stinky lake water out?

Kidder522
06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
I think it all depends where your drain line is sitting when the bag starts to empty. If it is higher than the lowest part of the bag, it wont empty. I just grab mine by the front of the bag and push all the water back for a complete empty. As for the smell, a bleach and water mix will clean and sanitize your bags for you. I always do this when I am about to winterize.

pat6969
06-26-2017, 03:52 PM
I think it all depends where your drain line is sitting when the bag starts to empty. If it is higher than the lowest part of the bag, it wont empty. I just grab mine by the front of the bag and push all the water back for a complete empty. As for the smell, a bleach and water mix will clean and sanitize your bags for you. I always do this when I am about to winterize.

Perfect. Thanks. I opened one of the extra filler caps on one of the bags and almost puked. Our lakes are a bit fishy smelling and get worse when it gets hotter.

5:00
06-26-2017, 04:02 PM
My bags empty at the rear. When they are getting close to empty I slow the boat and the the bow up forcing the water to the rear of the bags. It helps to get out a decent bit of water.

jmvotto
06-26-2017, 04:30 PM
So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical? Also, do you guys take your bags out occasionally and run clean water through them to clean the stinky lake water out?

Check valve on the bags only , should suck them flat,

little simple green to clean inside and out

DFTR Josh
06-27-2017, 09:21 AM
So, took my boat out this weekend (15 Mondo Surf) and noticed the bags don't empty 100%, maybe 25-50 lbs left inside. Is this typical?
Every boat I have had so far hasn't drained 100% and have to lift the bags, here during inspection you have to get the water out before leaving the lake.

Check valve on the bags only , should suck them flat,
I love this idea!

jmvotto
06-27-2017, 09:27 AM
https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html

pat6969
06-27-2017, 11:26 AM
https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html

So this goes on the discharge side? The hose that drains the bags?

996scott
06-27-2017, 11:43 AM
the check valves go on the vent line and they work really good. since putting these on my bags, they get sucked pretty flat.

pat6969
06-27-2017, 12:27 PM
the check valves go on the vent line and they work really good. since putting these on my bags, they get sucked pretty flat.

So if I understand this correct, the pumps fill and drain the bags from a hole in the hull, the holes on the side of the boat are vent holes? That is where the check valve would be installed? Just cut that line and install the valve?

996scott
06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
yes, if you have reversible pumps then they fill and drain from the hole in the hull. The vent line that goes out the side of the boat is where you put the check valve. You can just cut the hose and put the valve in. I put mine about a foot from where the hose goes out the side. You can call Wakemakers and they will walk you through it and make sure you have everything you need. Pretty easy job and I've had great results.

pat6969
06-28-2017, 11:41 AM
yes, if you have reversible pumps then they fill and drain from the hole in the hull. The vent line that goes out the side of the boat is where you put the check valve. You can just cut the hose and put the valve in. I put mine about a foot from where the hose goes out the side. You can call Wakemakers and they will walk you through it and make sure you have everything you need. Pretty easy job and I've had great results.

I guess that makes sense now as air won't be sucked into the bag from the vent as you're draining. Thanks for the info, I think I will do this.

pat6969
06-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Couple more questions. I see 4 vent holes on my boat, 3 SB and one port. Does this mean the hard tank and IBS have separate vents? Can I add a check valve to the IBS without harming the hard tank? What size are the vent lines?

996scott
06-28-2017, 01:29 PM
one of those is probably your bilge. Most likely you only have 3 for the ballasts but not sure. If you have a hard tank you will need to check with wakemakers and see if you can still use a check valve. It seams like I read somewhere that you only use check valves with bags and not hard tanks. I could be wrong on that.

pat6969
06-28-2017, 02:56 PM
one of those is probably your bilge. Most likely you only have 3 for the ballasts but not sure. If you have a hard tank you will need to check with wakemakers and see if you can still use a check valve. It seams like I read somewhere that you only use check valves with bags and not hard tanks. I could be wrong on that.

I read that as well, seems I could tin can the hard tank with a check valve. Thanks for the tips.

moombahighrider
06-28-2017, 06:50 PM
I read that as well, seems I could tin can the hard tank with a check valve. Thanks for the tips.

Wakemakers told me that the only way you would tin can the hard tank with a check valve is if you leave your pump on for an extended period of time while empty. (Obviously, we wouldn't do that because the impeller would fry). What do you guys think about that?

jstenger
06-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Wakemakers told me that the only way you would tin can the hard tank with a check valve is if you leave your pump on for an extended period of time while empty. (Obviously, we wouldn't do that because the impeller would fry). What do you guys think about that?
DO NOT add a check valve to the IBS piggybacked off of the hard tank. It can cause issues with the hard tank. Search the forum, and you will see. Plus, by the time the hard tank empties, the IBS will be flat anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

moombahighrider
06-28-2017, 08:04 PM
DO NOT add a check valve to the IBS piggybacked off of the hard tank. It can cause issues with the hard tank. Search the forum, and you will see. Plus, by the time the hard tank empties, the IBS will be flat anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, I have seen all that info and am well aware of the issue. I was just surprised that Wakemakers are saying it's okay if you keep an eye on it.

jmvotto
06-28-2017, 10:13 PM
So this goes on the discharge side? The hose that drains the bags?

On the vent. Don't use for hard tanks

jmvotto
06-28-2017, 10:15 PM
So if I understand this correct, the pumps fill and drain the bags from a hole in the hull, the holes on the side of the boat are vent holes? That is where the check valve would be installed? Just cut that line and install the valve?

Yes. I did mine close to the thru hull side to hide it but you can put it anywhere in line from the bag vent and line

For hard tank and ibs connected to it, someone came up with an air break with a tee and a one way spring valve off the hard tank to let air in after the ibs drained

I forgot who , since I don't have a hard tank I am not sure if the whole procedure