PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate Trailer Bunk dimensions?

Prospersigman
06-26-2017, 10:18 AM
The port side 1st trailer bunk (at the bow/nose of the trailer) already needs replaced. I was under the trailer just checking things over the other day and noticed both of the lag screws were backed out about a 1/2". I got under there are tried to tighten them up but the screws would not grab.

I want to replace both the port and starboard side, but can't seem to find the dimensions? I assume 2'x6' treated wood, but not sure on how long it is and forgot to measure it.

Thanks for the help!

trayson
06-26-2017, 02:24 PM
The port side 1st trailer bunk (at the bow/nose of the trailer) already needs replaced. I was under the trailer just checking things over the other day and noticed both of the lag screws were backed out about a 1/2". I got under there are tried to tighten them up but the screws would not grab.

I want to replace both the port and starboard side, but can't seem to find the dimensions? I assume 2'x6' treated wood, but not sure on how long it is and forgot to measure it.

Thanks for the help!

As a short term "fix" you can do what I just did... replace the lag screws in question with new ones. As the lag screws deterioriate, they literally waste away from the threads first leaving a skinny almost threadless shaft. I was able to get some bite in the old holes just by replacing the screws. On one of them, I moved the bunk forward an inch so that the screws would be going into new holes.

I noticed all of this when I got my trailer to go home after a week of camping and having the boat in a slip. I was literally missing at least 5 of the screws! So I had to improvise a little to get it the 3.5 hour drive home, and then figured spending $10 on a handful of new galvanized screws would be good until I have the opportunity to replace all the bunks completely.