PDA

View Full Version : Enzo's vs. Lead

jbird
06-22-2017, 10:43 AM
My Mojo came stock with 900's in the rear and even though I can surf all day ropeless I'm thinking about upgrading. I was considering upgrading to 1450's (Enzos) but I really don't like the idea of losing all that storage space under the seats. I'm seriously considering placing a couple hundred pounds of lead or steel weights in front of each stock bag. Would this take up any less space under the seats than the Enzos? I know I'd never get to 1450 on each side but it might be a good compromise. Also, do you think I'd notice 400#'s of lead when I'm ripping around or trailering? Never used the stuff so any advice is appreciated.

rdlangston13
06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Following, we have the same plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
06-22-2017, 11:16 AM
do you have nose weight, start there..

smorris7
06-22-2017, 11:47 AM
My Mojo came stock with 900's in the rear and even though I can surf all day ropeless I'm thinking about upgrading. I was considering upgrading to 1450's (Enzos) but I really don't like the idea of losing all that storage space under the seats. I'm seriously considering placing a couple hundred pounds of lead or steel weights in front of each stock bag. Would this take up any less space under the seats than the Enzos? I know I'd never get to 1450 on each side but it might be a good compromise. Also, do you think I'd notice 400#'s of lead when I'm ripping around or trailering? Never used the stuff so any advice is appreciated.

You can add lead under the existing 900lb bags and lose NO additional space. You can easily put 200lbs under the bags on each side. Then if you need more then add a couple of hundred more in front of the bags. You will lose very little space. Most of your lead bags are less than 2 inches thick.

russellsmojo
06-22-2017, 02:34 PM
You might feel the weight trailering. Not really on water just cruising. That's like 2 extra people.

Prospersigman
06-22-2017, 04:12 PM
I just added 500 lbs of lead weight from wakeballast.com and I have the 1100 rear bags in my 2016 Mojo. I put 300 lbs under the port side rear bag and the other 200 in the nose on the port side under the bag up front and lost zero storage space. The bags do not take up any space, they lay almost completely flat...thumbs up on them!!

snyderaaron
06-22-2017, 06:27 PM
I got 500lbs this year and love it. Right now I have 150 placed underneath passenger seat starboard side and 350 on port side. This way when I Wakeboard I can move 100 lbs to the other side easily

rbeckner27
06-22-2017, 07:27 PM
I have about 600lb of lead in my boat mostly towards the bow of the boat. It takes up very little space, but I do notice it on the trailer, quite a bit more tongue weight and it can make getting the boat on and off the trailer a bit more challenging cause it rides the nose roller a lot more than with out the bow weight. I wouldn't say it's a problem but rather just something to be aware of when taking the boat on and off the trailer.

rdlangston13
06-22-2017, 10:29 PM
I was thinking 300-400 lbs split evenly under both rear ballast bags in our 16 Mojo

kaneboats
06-22-2017, 11:11 PM
I would never do this but I have the older LSV and can get a darn good wave with water ballast, people and a sukg8. If I had a Mojo I would probably consider it though. Then again, I trailer about 45 min. each way to the lake. If that is not a consideration then why not?

rdlangston13
06-22-2017, 11:12 PM
I would never do this but I have the older LSV and can get a darn good wave with water ballast, people and a sukg8. If I had a Mojo I would probably consider it though. Then again, I trailer about 45 min. each way to the lake. If that is not a consideration then why not?

We trailer 2 hours! Lol

kaneboats
06-22-2017, 11:16 PM
Single axle, baby! And equipment, etc. for 6 kids. Plus beer for me for a day (I do usually keep the cooler in the truck till we get to the ramp. Have a guy with a forklift to get it up over the gunwale for me just to be safe.) :cool:

jbird
06-23-2017, 10:18 AM
I just added 500 lbs of lead weight from wakeballast.com and I have the 1100 rear bags in my 2016 Mojo. I put 300 lbs under the port side rear bag and the other 200 in the nose on the port side under the bag up front and lost zero storage space. The bags do not take up any space, they lay almost completely flat...thumbs up on them!!

Don't you get tired of the boat listing all the time, whether surfing or not, with all that weight on the port side??

russellsmojo
06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Jbird I agree. It's work but I move mine around. Put it all on surf side when surfing but then distribute evenly when not. Takes 1 minute while water bags are draining to move around. Kids usually enjoy jumping in while I put up surfboard etc and move bags.

mmandley
06-23-2017, 11:55 AM
I've had 400lb of lead since the first season in 13.

With my golf cart batteries, stereo all on the same side my boat would list starboard when no one was in the boat.

I use the lead to balance the boat so it sits evenly in the water. I have never really noticed a big difference in the boats handling or performance.

Now this does cause a little concern for my tongue weight but I only have 160lbs in front of the sub on the drivers side.

Then I have 120lbs on the port side right in front of my bag and then the last 120 on the starboard side in front of that bag.

Trailering the boat doesn't seem any different, you just put the trailer in a little deeper is all. By bow rubbed the bow roller since day 1 so I don't think my lead is creating more of a problem there.

As Kaneboats mentioned, he needs a forklift to load his beer cooler. I used to have 3 or 4 strapping young men load those coolers LOL. Now its just me and the wife, I can manage to get it loaded. I take a case a day to the dock and by the weekend I am set LOL.

Pound
06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
David, you think there'd be any concerns about lead weight and getting thru the cut at at Bethy Creek?

Prospersigman
06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Don't you get tired of the boat listing all the time, whether surfing or not, with all that weight on the port side??

I leave the 300 under the port side bag at all times and I move the 200 from the nose back into the starboard rear locker when we are done surfing. We usually surf 1st thing early in the morning before it gets too busy. I start filling the bags when I pull off the trailer. Adults and kids surf, then I start to empty the bags and pull the lead bags from the front into the rear starboard locker. We usually hit party cove and hangout for a few hours have a few beers, have lunch, let the kids swim then do the reverse and surf around sunset time when the water gets smoother. It takes 2 minutes while the kids jump in, take a whiz, wife grabs me a beer etc. The 100 pound difference on one side doesn't cause the boat to list anymore then having all the heavier dads on one side of the boat and the wives on the other while cruising to party cove or wherever.

daoxxe
07-04-2017, 12:26 PM
we have the same plan.

KnoxMojo
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM
One could always remove the weight and place it in your truck bed or whatever while towing or if you are not going to be boarding or surfing. I am on a lift, I remove mine before hoisting the boat up. Bow weight is great on the Mojo and most boats, water type ballast bags sitting on top of everything, not so much.

mattsask
07-06-2017, 04:05 AM
Remove your rear panels and hide a couple hundred pounds on the floor directly under where your ballast pumps are mounted. You won't lose any storage.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

iwannagofast
07-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Following this thread also...

Is anyone in favor of the Enzos over adding lead? I see everyone giving opinions on where and how to distribute the lead but not much in favor of bag upgrades. Is everyone basically in agreement that lead is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

rdlangston13
07-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Following this thread also...

Is anyone in favor of the Enzos over adding lead? I see everyone giving opinions on where and how to distribute the lead but not much in favor of bag upgrades. Is everyone basically in agreement that lead is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

My issue with the Enzo's is that they take up all of the storage under the cabin seats and I need that space for stuff. Lead can go under the stock bags and you'll never know it's there

mattsask
07-19-2017, 12:28 PM
I run a combo of steel and enzo's. The water is super shallow in front of our cottage, so I'm only able to use steel/lead in the nose where it doesn't effect my draft.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

iwannagofast
07-19-2017, 01:42 PM
My issue with the Enzo's is that they take up all of the storage under the cabin seats and I need that space for stuff. Lead can go under the stock bags and you'll never know it's there

Are you pretty comfortable adding the lead under the rear bags at the back of the hull without issue? I'm not sure they would move much regardless but I would think this location would be least likely for them to move around. Thoughts?

snyderaaron
07-19-2017, 02:14 PM
I have 500lb of lead along with 1280's in the back. With the 10 bags i have i put two under each bag which gives me 6 bags to move. I usually put them on the surf side.

rdlangston13
07-19-2017, 08:54 PM
I don't think they would move much at all. The floor of the rear locker is slightly lower than the floor under the seats so they would sit down in there