PDA

View Full Version : Blower not working, trips breaker when turned on

slopland
06-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Hey all, I searched but could not find anything addressing this.
I have a 2012 Moomba Mojo 2.5 with 100 hours. The blower will not turn on and when the switch is turned on, it trips the fuse breaker. Does this mean I need to replace the fuse or does this mean I have a loose wire/failed blower?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

5:00
06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Disconnect at the blower and turn it on again. If it doesn't trip you are looking at a new blower most likely. There is no load so it isn't a perfect answer but at least means you have no short before that point.

zabooda
06-19-2017, 11:20 AM
If you find it is the blower, check inside the housing for debris that may have locked it up.

slopland
06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Disconnect at the blower and turn it on again. If it doesn't trip you are looking at a new blower most likely. There is no load so it isn't a perfect answer but at least means you have no short before that point.

Sorry for the noob question but when I disconnect from the blower, I'm disconnecting one or two wires? Do I just leave them loose or connect them to complete the circuit?

Thanks in advance.

stevemarich
06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
one wire would be enough to tell if it was the blower or not, if your breaker pops with one wire disconnected, the problem is downstream.

slopland
06-20-2017, 02:06 AM
Will do this weekend. If it does not trip, does that mean its battery side/fuse? If so, where can I order a fuse?

Also, maybe related, maybe not, my depth gauge works but shows ---. Is this a transducer problem?

Thanks for all the help!

moombadaze
06-20-2017, 08:51 AM
replaced 3 blower motors on my 2013 LSV. water would get into the blower motor and rust it causing increased resistance causing the breaker to trip.

simple replacement

stevemarich
06-20-2017, 09:08 AM
If it does not trip with the blower wires disconnected, then it's the blower motor, chances are that is what it is, moombadaze is spot on with what usually happens. Not sure on your depth gauge, I see that same --- a lot ,every depth gauge that's been in 3 different new boats , the only time they seem to read is when sitting at an idle,

06-20-2017, 11:23 AM
My depth was off and on last year. I found the thru hull transducer had come unglued which is a common problem. Check for that. Not sure if yours is thru hull. I epoxied mine in again this season and it has been rock solid so far.
Your breaker is probably fine most likely.

slopland
06-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Thanks a ton for the replies! Very helpful community here! We are heading up this weekend and I will take a look at both of these.

I am having trouble finding a schematic of where the blower is. Can someone show me a pic or describe where it is in the engine?

Thanks,

stevemarich
06-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Should be at the very back of the engine compartment , zip tied to one of the black hoses

06-23-2017, 10:25 AM
I am having trouble finding a schematic of where the blower is. Can someone show me a pic or describe where it is in the engine?

It should be between the engine and transom down low. Usually a white round housing attached to a 3" black flexible hose leading to a vent. Something like this.
https://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/594002.jpg

slopland
06-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Man thank you! I'll look again this weekend when we go back to the lake. Thanks for all the help.

Also, I'm looking to buy an engine repair/parts manual so I can learn everything possible about it. Can someone point me to that and/or recommend literature that will help me? I'm good with truck engines but not boat. But, this being a GM block and basically a truck engine, I'm mostly familiar, but don't want to miss anything.

Thanks,

slopland
10-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Finally checked this. The blower fan was hard to turn by hand. It loosened some as I turned but still had a lot of resistance. Can I take it out, WD40 or grease it, or is it time to replace?? If so, where is a good place to purchase this?

slopland
10-08-2017, 11:48 PM
And does anyone know the size blower? I found them on Amazon.
3"or 4" for a 2012 Moomba Mojo 2.5 Indmar Assault 333.

stevemarich
10-08-2017, 11:57 PM
I would save the headache and just replace , should be a 3" , but I can't say that for 100%, the spare for my 17 is a 3" , but it was leftover from the last boat

slopland
10-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Thank you! I would pull the old one but I'm 2 hours away! Ill guess and hope for the best!!

stevemarich
10-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Ya , my boat is still at the dealer , so I can't look at mine , not sure if they would be the same or not being different years, i would go with 3" , good luck

KnoxMojo
10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
When in doubt, open all your rear hatches for a bit and leave them open while cranking.

gravity
11-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Looks like the Nautique steering thruster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

New Guy
11-15-2017, 11:18 AM
When in doubt, open all your rear hatches for a bit and leave them open while cranking.

Won't work vaporized fuel sinks that is why the blower is in the bottom of the compartment. With that said the likely hood of a explosion on a EFI engine is slim to none. Its not like a carb engine where the fuel is getting atomized in the open to the engine compartment.

flienlow
02-16-2019, 06:29 PM
replaced 3 blower motors on my 2013 LSV. water would get into the blower motor and rust it causing increased resistance causing the breaker to trip.

simple replacement

Where was your blower motor located and how did you access it?

nelswhytry
07-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Where is the fuse located for the blower fan?
2013 LSV