PDA

View Full Version : Manually empty ballast bags, 2007 LSV

Patrick Sedlak
06-12-2017, 08:02 AM
On the lake yesterday & center ballast wouldn't empty. Was able to manually empty through bilge. Has anyone had to manually empty the rear ballast bags? If so how did u empty them? Don't want to get stuck on lake w/rears full & pumps quit. Would like to think of an option, makes me a little nervous.

mmandley
06-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Basically the pumps get air locked. They get an air bubble and won't prime.

When it happened to me on the rears I stood on the bag. It primed the pump.

If the pump stops completely just unplug the hose from the pump.

An option is get a couple quick release hose connections and put them inline of the drain pump then you can drain to bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Sedlak
06-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Helpful, thanks. The pump will fill the bag, just not empty it? Could this still be a priming issue?

trayson
06-12-2017, 12:42 PM
You have a couple of options. First and foremost, I'd check the fuses and/or do what mike said about the priming.

That said, it would be plenty easy to make up a connector on an over the side pump that you could connect to the fill or the vent line.

I have aerator pumps on my 3 big bags, and I have a reversible pump that does my side under the seat bag. When I plumbed my reversible pump, I put in a TEE valve that goes to a hose I can connect. At the other end of the hose is a fitting I can attach to one of my other bags should I have a problem where one of the pumps went out... It's obviously a lot of extra work and fittings for something that might never get used... But I think I did have to use it once, and I like to be over-prepared.

mmandley
06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Helpful, thanks. The pump will fill the bag, just not empty it? Could this still be a priming issue?

On your boat fill and drain are different pumps.

All the fills are T off 1 pump but each bag gets a separate drain

Another option get a PVC T valve install on drain line when you air lock just open it to bilge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk