PDA

View Full Version : Engine Care

Engine Nut
08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
As director of Customer Service for Indmar, we see, hear and deal with engine issues on a daily basis. Occaisionally, engines experience catestrophic failures in the field. Failures such as connecting rods through the oil pan or engine block are rare but they do occur.

Sometimes these failures occur early in the life of an engine (during the first 20 hours) and can be related to defect or assembly issues from GM, the engine block supplier. These failures are not caused by the boat operator and although unfortunate are generally reteted as warrantable failures.

Other times, these failures occur on engines that are considered "broken-in". They may have 50, 100 hours or more of operating time. Almost all cases that we see of these types of failures can be related to improper maintenamce or lack of lubrication. It is imortant that the engine oil level be checked before each use and maintained at the proper level. It is not unusual for a marine engine to consume some oil. Consumption of a quart of oil every 18 to 20 hours is not out of the ordinary.

Please check your oil on a regular basis. A marine engine operates in a much more severe duty cycle than an automotive engine does and needs a little extra care.

Larry Engelbert
Director of Customer Service
Indmar Marine Engines

Buttafewcoe
08-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Good point, Larry.
I know of a few people that have bought boats, thinking the service intervals and general care of a boat would be the same as an auto. You know, change the oil and occasionally wax the hull, etc.
But, because they operate in water and are subject to high vibration and wave pounding, all linkages, fittings, mounts, etc, must be regularly checked for proper operation and tightness. A boat is an ongoing project, not a toy that is taken out and played with then put away.
Heck, the more it's played with, the more attention it needs!
Hope this helps
B

Engine Nut
08-13-2006, 06:27 PM
One interesting fact that we see is that the people that use their boats a lot have far fewer problems than the ones that only hit the water once a month or so.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Marine Engines

Buttafewcoe
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, Larry, you are right. On certain items like engine and drive train, not made to sit and be seldom used.
B

DaveM
05-29-2014, 09:55 PM
I just read your comments on oil consumption and I now feel much better about my 2013 330 hp Indmar. It uses about a quart every 25 hours. Within normal range I assume.

BamaMojo
05-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Great info.
Thanks!

2012 Mojo

Cigars n scotch
05-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I had never seen this thread and the info contained within so this is great that it popped up today. Good reminder to keep checking your fluid levels. I have to check mine today after it gets back from the shop.