PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder An Option! Really???

s281cheddar
06-10-2017, 02:42 PM
So, I was just made aware that my depth finder and water temp not working - on my brand new boat mind you - is not working due to the "option" not being installed!? Apparently it's not only just a different "ducer" either, it's a whole system??? Now please don't get me wrong, I love my boat. I love the people who have gone above and behind from moomba, cause my only dealer within 100 miles SUCKS balls!!!! But my question is, am I being to petty about this??? I mean how many of you would pay over 60k for a new surf boat, and think to ask if it has a depth finder or the "Depth Finder Option"??? I know I can do an after market system, but I mean come on. I have the 2017 autowake system, but apparently not the depth finder system installed? Has anybody had this part installed? What were the costs if so? I mean, seriously. I'm shocked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supra790
06-10-2017, 11:17 PM
The helix was designed to get people a good surf boat without all the bells and whistles so the price point would be low....maybe that's why it was optional? I'm not sure but it's just a possibility

2016 Supra SG 450

rdlangston13
06-11-2017, 07:23 AM
It's optional across the whole Moomba line. I know because we had to add it when we were building out 2017 Mojo.

s281cheddar
06-11-2017, 10:00 AM
That's wild to me. Has anyone had it added after delivery. Why someone wouldn't want a depth finder amazes me.

That Guy
06-11-2017, 10:54 AM
It's all about keeping prices in check. And honestly I'm sure there are many people who have never had a depth finder on their boat or wouldn't even bother looking at it while out on the lake, so they don't see the need for it. It was an option on my last new boat in 2015 and on this boat, I've always added it for peace of mind.

zabooda
06-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Only reason I use a depth finder is to go in places where people with depth finders don't go. I'm a smooth water fanatic. When I got my boat, the depth finder was next to the shifter and totally useless so I swapped with the voltmeter on the dash. They are easy to put in if there's a spot already set up on the dash.

Catman
06-11-2017, 08:46 PM
I feel the same way I order my Craz and it came in with no Finder I called the dealer and they couldn't believe it wasn't standard equip when purchasing perfect pass but they ordered me a new thru hull mount and a transducer from sc for about 130 bucks and popped it in easy fix they didn't even charge me for it

SorryCharlie
06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
For me it seems this would be a basic part of a boat. The problem is not the lake I spend most of my time on, it's the lake I don't spend time on. I look at the depth finder all the time.

5:00
06-20-2017, 11:17 AM
The best thing to do is build the boat on the Moomba site. It shows everything as far as I can tell. I remember that was an option while looking on the site.
Our transducer came unglued and I had not fixed it yet from last season. The first ride out she wanted it fixed so she could relax. I didn't care too much mostly because I know the lake pretty well. Not everyone knows their lake or might like to go to new places so I can see the need for it.
Of course we compromised and I fixed it before the next outing.

Cody
06-21-2017, 09:15 AM
I think an option like this should be standard, especially on the newer boats. After all, it's built into the display, right?

s281cheddar
06-21-2017, 09:18 AM
I think an option like this should be standard, especially on the newer boats. After all, it's built into the display, right?

Exactly my point. 60k for a boat. I never imagined I'd have to ask if a depthfinder was an included option. I mean is the steering wheel also an option. Now my dealer wants almost $500 for the triducer.

Cody
06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Exactly my point. 60k for a boat. I never imagined I'd have to ask if a depthfinder was an included option. I mean is the steering wheel also an option. Now my dealer wants almost $500 for the triducer.

You can find it cheaper online I'm sure and it's not hard to DIY.

s281cheddar
06-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Searched online with no luck yet.

s281cheddar
06-21-2017, 09:51 AM
I used to be a marine tech so not to worried about the simple swap.

zabooda
06-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Find out who manufacturers the Moomba depth finder and model number and look on line.

russellsmojo
06-21-2017, 06:02 PM
So, I was just made aware that my depth finder and water temp not working - on my brand new boat mind you - is not working due to the "option" not being installed!? Apparently it's not only just a different "ducer" either, it's a whole system??? Now please don't get me wrong, I love my boat. I love the people who have gone above and behind from moomba, cause my only dealer within 100 miles SUCKS balls!!!! But my question is, am I being to petty about this??? I mean how many of you would pay over 60k for a new surf boat, and think to ask if it has a depth finder or the "Depth Finder Option"??? I know I can do an after market system, but I mean come on. I have the 2017 autowake system, but apparently not the depth finder system installed? Has anybody had this part installed? What were the costs if so? I mean, seriously. I'm shocked!

Call your dealer. Yea it's an option but gotta think they can help out. Seems like somewhere in the ordering process if built or in sales conversation if stock boat the depth finder should have been discussed.

s281cheddar
06-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Find out who manufacturers the Moomba depth finder and model number and look on line.

Did that. No luck.

s281cheddar
06-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Call your dealer. Yea it's an option but gotta think they can help out. Seems like somewhere in the ordering process if built or in sales conversation if stock boat the depth finder should have been discussed.

They are complete idiots. I have recorded convos of them constantly changing stories when questioned on work. Even contacted Skiers Choice directly on issues with local dealer. Complete waste of time. I'd go outta state before going back to my local dealer!

996scott
06-22-2017, 02:07 PM
I totally agree with you. A 60K boat and the depth finder is not standard? Pretty stupid.

Isaguel
06-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Come on, this should be standard on a v-drive, with a fixed prop shaft. If I see its getting shallow I am watching the depth like a hawk. I get really nervous when depth starts reaching 2 ft. It should not be an option to not have it.