PDA

View Full Version : OBD2 Port

SorryCharlie
06-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Do these boats come with the ability to read error conditions?

mmandley
06-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Yes
But it requires a special connector and software. It's a scanner like your car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
06-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Boats do have OBD but not the standardized OBDII

trayson
06-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the code readers are pretty much specific to the marine industry and tend to be prohibitively expensive. The cheapest one I found was hundreds of dollars. It just didn't make sense.

And for the newer boats, the display screens tell you the error codes and descriptions anyway, so it's reading it's own codes...

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 10:25 AM
These are basically truck engines, wonder what the reason is for leaving something east like a OBD@ off? so you're captive to the dealer?

MLA
06-07-2017, 11:09 AM
These are basically truck engines, wonder what the reason is for leaving something east like a OBD@ off? so you're captive to the dealer?

If you know why we have OBDII on light duty vehicles, you will understand it was not left off of boats. OBDII was federally mandated. Even prior to OBDII, you could still purchase an aftermarket scan tool and interface with OBDI on quite a few of the auto maker's system. However, some, most were the imports, kept their protocol proprietary. With that said, there is nothing preventing you or anyone from purchasing the software/cable and interfacing with your MEFI engine system. You are only restricted by your wallet.

trayson
06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
MLA is correct. I'm pretty sure that I have MEFI 5 on my CAT 340 ETX engine. so that means for "only" $500, I could get this:

https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefi5scan.asp

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
MLA is correct. I'm pretty sure that I have MEFI 5 on my CAT 340 ETX engine. so that means for "only" $500, I could get this:

https://www.obd2allinone.com/mefi5scan.asp

Federally mandated or not, I can read the code on my truck for $20 and have a general idea of what the issue is.

You're in luck, it's down to $350 ;)

trayson
06-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Federally mandated or not, I can read the code on my truck for $20 and have a general idea of what the issue is.

You're in luck, it's down to $350 ;)

$20 = economies of scale/supply and demand. :-( Just like the availability of Marinized parts for our engines...

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 12:16 PM
$20 = economies of scale/supply and demand. :-( Just like the availability of Marinized parts for our engines...

Tell me about it, fuel pump $800 :???:

sivs1
06-07-2017, 12:27 PM
I just replaced the alternator in my car. $1,350. as everything become more complex, more tight, more regulated the costs will just continue to climb.

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 12:36 PM
I just replaced the alternator in my car. $1,350. as everything become more complex, more tight, more regulated the costs will just continue to climb.

Damn, what kind of car?

sivs1
06-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Mercedes Benz. Autozone had a rebuilt one for $300, I opted for the dealer special with unlimited mile warranty. Besides, no way I was going to try it myself, there's hardly any room to even change the battery.

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Mercedes Benz. Autozone had a rebuilt one for $300, I opted for the dealer special with unlimited mile warranty. Besides, no way I was going to try it myself, there's hardly any room to even change the battery.

Looks like Moomba's and Mercedes are in the same category when it comes to repairs.

How are you liking that XD, is that the Diesel?>

sivs1
06-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Looks like Moomba's and Mercedes are in the same category when it comes to repairs.

How are you liking that XD, is that the Diesel?>

Same day dropped $600 on a new PDM for the Supra. My 2006 LSV was so easy to work on, the rear lockers were huge and I could easily get into the engine compartment and move around. With the newer boats it seems like they are re-configuring space to maximize cabin area and somehow condensing engine/rear locker areas.

The XD is great, such a well built over built truck. Getting close to 10,000 miles and boy have I used it. Yes, it's the Diesel, feels just right power wise. I had a Ram 2500 and with 850lbs of torque was just overkill for my needs.

SorryCharlie
06-07-2017, 01:14 PM
That's my dream truck, gotta pay for the boat first, plus pay for the fuel pump. Bet the torque on that truck is a dream.

kaneboats
06-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Put front brakes and rotors on the Suburban the other day. No special tools or funky heads like some cars. Just bolts, etc. Super easy. Then changed the oil and filter on Sunday. Don't even have to use my ramps. Just put a cardboard down and slide under there. Done in under 10 min. I like things that you can reach.

SorryCharlie
06-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Amen brother, I hate the way you have to contort yourself to work on a boat, getting to old for that.

Darter
06-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Amen brother, I hate the way you have to contort yourself to work on a boat, getting to old for that.

That's what direct drives are for. ;)

SorryCharlie
06-09-2017, 10:59 AM
That's what direct drives are for. ;)

They take up to much cockpit space.