PDA

View Full Version : Floating boat lift

mikenehrkorn
06-05-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm getting ready to put in the boat lift that I picked up last fall.....any tips / tricks for getting the lift off land into the lake? I've seen the use of inner tubes, plastic floats, sections of pvc pipe, etc., but just wondering what would be easiest for myself and college-age son to get it in.

TIA

mmandley
06-05-2017, 11:04 AM
PVC pipe works great they built mine on land by water the lifted the back put a pipe under it lifted the front rolled right into the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
06-05-2017, 11:29 AM
use two dolly's and some floats

5:00
06-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Built one with a relative and hauled it in with a boat and rope as well as pushed it. We didn't have enough people to lift it. It was pretty huge as it was made for a deck boat.

mikenehrkorn
06-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Here is my thinking as of now - any feedback on how well this might / might not work?

The lift is about 100' from shoreline and it has two wheels - one in the center on each side, so was going to use the wheels to get it to the water's edge. I was going to purchase a few tractor tire inner tubes and place one under each of the four sides and float the lift to the needed location. Since we have a lot of muck and the footing is real bad near the lift location, i was going to move it there and then just let the air out of the inner tubes to lower it into place.

Hoping it works as easily as it sounds... :)

zabooda
06-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Can you use a boat (not saying the Moomba) as the floating device, tie down the boat to the lift mechanism, crank the lift all the way down causing the lift to be suspended by the boat, move the boat/lift into position, raise the lift to lower the lift legs to the lake bottom and untie the boat.

mmandley
06-05-2017, 12:14 PM
On mine the used an air compressor to fill the air tanks then capped the fill hose this made the lift buoyant

jmvotto
06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/101_0283.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/101_0283.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/jmvotto/media/101_0283.jpg.html)
should work no problem you will just have to adjust it when it hits the ground, with long 2 x 4 , or 4 ft pry bar.

also steer clear when the air is let out as it will go fast to the bottom.

Chipsybg
06-06-2017, 11:00 AM
On mine the used an air compressor to fill the air tanks then capped the fill hose this made the lift buoyant

Same here!

BobP
06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
If you have a really mucky bottom, might be a good idea to submerge some wood pallets at the leg locations, even if they have a big pad. This will make it much easier to take out in the fall.

mikenehrkorn
06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Can you use a boat (not saying the Moomba) as the floating device, tie down the boat to the lift mechanism, crank the lift all the way down causing the lift to be suspended by the boat, move the boat/lift into position, raise the lift to lower the lift legs to the lake bottom and untie the boat.

We have an old row boat that should do the trick.....that just became my first option -- thanks!!!

If you have a really mucky bottom, might be a good idea to submerge some wood pallets at the leg locations, even if they have a big pad. This will make it much easier to take out in the fall.

Our muck is terrible, so I will definitely being do this as well.....thanks for the heads up!