PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with cover

Davpmars
06-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Hey guys I am just curious to know if my cover is intended to be used while traveling to and from the lake on my 2013 LSV?

My cover is the one you place over the top, has Velcro on the sides around the tower, and has a ratchet in the back to pull it tight. In the end it secures around the perimeter of the boat just below the rub rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
06-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes you can tow with it. I wouldn't tow long distance or speeds much over 60.

If you plan to tow a lot I would get with Corey at Evolution Covers.

Tell him I referred you and your on the forum

kaneboats
06-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Yea, I think it's technically called a "mooring cover" as opposed to a towing cover but people do tow with them on. I have the snap on covers and tow with them on a couple times a year with no problems so far.

Birdman
06-06-2017, 12:05 AM
you can get quite a bit of scuffing on the jell coat if you tow it down the highway

Davpmars
06-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I've never towed with the cover on and then I saw a couple boats out last week with my same style cover flying down the highway. I don't think I'm going to do that but maybe I'll keep the cover on when I run it to fill with gas and stuff around town.

Stazi
06-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I never tow with the cover. It stretches the hell out of it, especially at the bow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rakkasan
06-20-2017, 04:43 PM
How bad does it scuff the getcoat? We've had a long weekend planned with family on Lake Martin for this weekend and the rain is everywhere. We've already been caught a couple times towing home from the lake in down pours. It sucks. Takes forever to get all the water out and days for just the seats to dry.

The drive would be about 2hrs and there's no way the boats not coming. If it's pouring the whole way I don't see us going above 60mph.

Does anyone see any major issues towing with the cover on.

Thanks Guys!!!

sivs1
06-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Have Snap Cover, tow with it on all the time. Have towed with it on for 5 hour drive, 3 hour drive and even 10 minute drive. I can think of three places where there is minor rubbing and I can easily buff it out with a rag after I arrive.

Would not tow with a cover as you mentioned though.

Rakkasan
06-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Have Snap Cover, tow with it on all the time. Have towed with it on for 5 hour drive, 3 hour drive and even 10 minute drive. I can think of three places where there is minor rubbing and I can easily buff it out with a rag after I arrive.

Would not tow with a cover as you mentioned though.

So sad :???:

stevemarich
06-20-2017, 07:42 PM
morning cover will defintly scuff the gel coat, I might have to look into the evolution covers as well, I always fear a cushion is going to fly out and hit a car, since I have followed boats that tow without a cover on and have dodged flying cushions, and with the unpredictable weather here don't want to get caught in a down pour without it on either

Patrick Sedlak
06-20-2017, 09:54 PM
I have a 2007 LSV with the original Moomba cover (I believe), several straps to tie down to trailer and rope that ties down in the back, covers to below the rub rail. We just took a 6 hour trip with no problem at all, no scuffs. Have also heard of seats, etc flying out of uncovered boats. After driving through a wicked rain storm, I did realize I needed to waterproof the cover though.

jbird
06-20-2017, 10:36 PM
For the guys with Evolution covers, are you safe to tow with them on without any risk of scuffing or wear on the boat? Or is the risk just reduced? I scuffed my 2005 XLV on a 30 minute trip down the interstate and swore I'd never tow with a cover on again. It's just not feasible to keep it under 60 on the freeway!

Stazi
06-21-2017, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't ever tow with a cover. Seen too many rip and also cause gel coat scuffing.

Rakkasan
06-21-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm not to worried about it ripping as were only going about 90 miles. Where does it rub the gel coat? Would it be fesable to cover those areas with a towel and have the towel between the boat and cover?

stevemarich
06-21-2017, 01:11 PM
for me the worst rubs are between the tower and the windshield above the rub rail , about a foot behind the tower to the about the gas cap ,and with the blade graphics it seems to be pretty hard on them as well, and a little along the nose area, the new covers seem pretty robust , im not to worried about it tearing either , it rides really well going down the hwy, just all the areas were the cover flops a little in the wind over time leaves some good dull spots.

moombadaze
06-21-2017, 03:24 PM
ive had two Evolutions covers, one on the 08 LSV -one time I was running late and was hitting about 80-85mph towing with no issues. my 13 LSV was black and blue and never noticed any rub marks on the gel.

Willyourun
06-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Evolution covers is booked till October. I can't find any others that have a pattern for my 2016 Helix. I've been told to wrap Saran Wrap around the rub rails to help keep the mooring cover from rubbing. I have a 4 hour drive coming up next week and I'm not sure what to do.

Rakkasan
06-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Evolution covers is booked till October. I can't find any others that have a pattern for my 2016 Helix. I've been told to wrap Saran Wrap around the rub rails to help keep the mooring cover from rubbing. I have a 4 hour drive coming up next week and I'm not sure what to do.

I haven't heard the wrap thing before but it sounds like a good idea.

Willyourun
06-21-2017, 03:43 PM
I haven't heard the wrap thing before but it sounds like a good idea.

They guy from Evolution Covers told me that. Nice guy.

Ironcross25
06-21-2017, 05:02 PM
I believe I have the same cover. 2 vents and 2 poles. sinches just under rub rail and ratchets in back. I have towed many times long distance at hwy speeds with no issues. I usually tow locally without unless its raining. I wax the boat twice a year and never noticed any scratches from it.

zabooda
06-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Nothing rocket science about Evolution covers but that area does have one of the highest labor rates in the country. Find a local boat cover maker and save some coin.

Moombers
06-22-2017, 09:28 AM
When I tow long distance I use shrink wrap. This is how I solve the strap rubbing the gelcoat

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Rakkasan
06-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the shrink wrap idea. Went to Sams Club yesterday and got an industrial kitchen food wrap. We went around the boat about ten times making sure all the gel coat was covered from about 4inches under the strap to up and over the top rails.
I'm not to excited about it but have no other choice as its pouring here and we're about to hit the road. I'll try and give an update when all's said and done.

The General
06-22-2017, 02:20 PM
I use the industrial shrink wrap as well. No issues so far and it works great for wrapping the tower to keep the bugs off.

mmandley
06-23-2017, 01:42 PM
The thing about Evolution covers is its 1 guy, just Corey unless he finally hired a guy to help him.

Evolution covers are hand made by the master himself, that's why hes booked out so fare all the time.

The Evolution covers have come a long way, on the 08 LSV I had I had an Evolution cover and never an issue at all.

On the Mojo I towed it to him from OR to have it fitted because the factory cover scratched the boat towing it 30 minutes home.

Corey putts padding all all the areas the cover touches so it wont scuff.

I have towed with the cover from OR to Lake Powell through huge rain storms and the only pace I had water was a little on the seats at the tower mounting spot.
The covers are water proof to a point, and shed water very well, but if water pools up from parking the boat then it will leak though the cover slowly.

Also the cover stretches, its very tight when you first install it, then loosens up over time but if you tow in the rain it will loosen up even more then tighten up as it drys.

A factory cover costs 650+ and Evolution is 900 so when you compare it like that the Evolution isn't that much more.

You can take it to a place and have them make you a cover but I would put my Evolution cover up against anyone's cover.

I wouldn't own a boat without a Evolution cover personally.

jrobb
06-24-2017, 01:16 AM
I will second mmandely i just had a new evolution cover built for my new boat. Cory lives about 20 min from me and he is the bes around. He won't hire others to make his covers because he is a perfectionist and he is proud of what he builds,and yes he is very busy as if last week he told me he was out to end of October for orders.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TJG
06-30-2017, 11:30 AM
This is very timely for me, as we're towing our boat up north this weekend. 4hr drive, half 70mph speed limits, half 55. Sounds like its best to tow uncovered, even if there is a bit of spotty rain in the forecast.

I'm also a bit concerned about cushions flying out. . . we have a 2017 Mojo, should I worry or just drive?

Stazi
06-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Cushions won't go anywhere. I towed my Craz 200 miles several times uncovered and had no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk