PDA

View Full Version : Y'all wear helmets?

stx.dead.I
05-30-2017, 10:53 PM
I have been debating on getting a helmet for the last couple weeks now that I'm starting back up again.

I used to ride a lot and remember vividly crashing hard while trying to land my first 360. I came down on the lip of the wake facing away from the boat caught my heel hedge and blacked out. I remember having a headache for almost three days and it's really slowed me down.

Do y'all wear helmets when going hard or trying new tricks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kidder522
05-31-2017, 12:02 AM
With a wreck like that, why not wear a lid. Anything to save your brain is a good thing. Splash it up with some decals and you will add the cool factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
05-31-2017, 06:43 AM
Always when I wakeboard and snow ski for that matter.

stx.dead.I
05-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Next question then, do y'all think it matters if I go with a cheaper bike helmet or neeed a wakeboards specific

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Darter
05-31-2017, 10:09 AM
The only real difference with a wakeboard helmet is ear protection. Keeps the hard water pressure off the eardrums.

I don't ride hard or do much in the way of aerials yet, but as I'm practicing more, I'll just be donning a skate helmet. The only real problem with a bike helmet is the shell isn't very thick, so it's more susceptible to damage.

5:00
05-31-2017, 10:16 AM
I wear a helmet now but only after a bad crash and concussion. I set up the boat wrong and had a big wake with a small wake beside it. I added a bit of speed also. I cleared the wake with a 70' rope, landed on the wake properly but spun on that little wake, caught the back edge of the board and just sh!t whipped backward. Knocked the board off of my feet (first and only time). I was seeing stars and I didn't put my hand up to let the driver know I was fine because I wasn't sure.
So yeah I wear a helmet now for wakeboarding.

trayson
06-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Yes, I wear a helmet wakeboarding. I've had plenty of headaches and it just makes sense. I wear one snowboarding too.
I even found a good sticker for it at a ski show.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG_20160924_125323_zpskbsrj8jm.jpg

Now that I've bought the foil board, I DEFINITELY wear a helmet for that. In fact, I bought a larger size helmet that I can lend to others in the boat if they want to try the foil. It's kinda selfish for me to be the only one that has a helmet available to them. The spare helmet was $28 shipped on sale. That's nothing. People spend more than that on beer.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Attach0_2_zpsi1qxvctb.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG955189_zpscybbg1ah.jpg

kaneboats
06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
People spend more than that on beer.

What? Now that sounds crazy.

06-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Glad to see you wearing it with that board. That pic says it all. You never know where the business end of the foil is going to end up. I would even consider a hockey helmet with a cage since there are no bindings?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/IMG955189_zpscybbg1ah.jpg

Darter
06-01-2017, 02:21 PM
I would even consider a hockey helmet with a cage since there are no bindings?

Just last weekend I fell off my surfboard, came to a rest, and the board floated by rather quickly and hit me in the forehead. Small hit, but it was enough to leave a bump on my head!

It doesn't take much.

flienlow
06-01-2017, 04:20 PM
I have a nice harry Potter scar from Wake surfing years ago. Nosed the front in, and the board went straight in the air. When I surfaced the fin came down and knocked me Bat S#!t silly. It was Crimson tide too. There was blood everywhere and I was unconscious in the lake bleedin like a stuck hog. Got stitched up and was drinking beer 3 hours later. Needless to say, I always wear a lid now. Call me a nerd, whatever.... I dont care.

06-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Damn, never heard of a hard core wake surf injury before!

trayson
06-01-2017, 05:12 PM
I'll admit that I don't wear my helmet surfing... But I've never taken a fin to the face either! Yikes!

td_in_nc
06-03-2017, 08:11 AM
After rupturing an ear drum from a fall I really like having a helmet with ear pads. Trying to learn 360s jumping the wake greatly increased my appreciation for helmets as I kept landing bad and would smack the back of my head against the water. If nothing else it is a security blanket for me now.

MMPRES
06-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure there's no documented evidence that states it's any safer or provides any added protection. When it comes to obstacles involved (sliders/rails) that's a whole different beast and helmets would definitely be justifiable. But when it comes to wake riding, momentum is momentum, and it can be damaging when it comes to an abrupt stop. I've ridden a wakeboard for 15 years and have experienced some serious falls (bruised ribs, busted eardrum, head laceration, board exploded underfoot and been generally knocked silly), but luckily haven't blacked out to date (knock on wood). Other than the cut on my head from the board running into me, I can't say that a helmet would have been any more beneficial.

With that said, if it makes you feel safer, all the more power to you. Although, be aware, if others see you in a helmet, they're going to expect something impressive behind the boat. ;)

zabooda
06-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all.

moombahighrider
06-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all.

100% agreed

06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
With that said, if it makes you feel safer, all the more power to you. Although, be aware, if others see you in a helmet, they're going to expect something impressive behind the boat. ;)

Haha too funny. I have thought that also. I am thinking other boats are looking at me and saying "when is he going to do something good, he has a helmet on"?

I will take the something over nothing as well. There is some padding there, not much but I will gladly take it. Once concussed you are more susceptible so I do what I can.

trayson
06-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure there's no documented evidence that states it's any safer or provides any added protection. When it comes to obstacles involved (sliders/rails) that's a whole different beast and helmets would definitely be justifiable. But when it comes to wake riding, momentum is momentum, and it can be damaging when it comes to an abrupt stop. I've ridden a wakeboard for 15 years and have experienced some serious falls (bruised ribs, busted eardrum, head laceration, board exploded underfoot and been generally knocked silly), but luckily haven't blacked out to date (knock on wood). Other than the cut on my head from the board running into me, I can't say that a helmet would have been any more beneficial.

I've ridden a motorcycle for many years and crashed on my motorcycle a handful of times on the road and on the racetrack... None of my crashes involved any kind of head impact, so I'm sure that I don't need a helmet when I ride my motorcycle either...

I just wear a helmet wakeboarding and wakefoiling so that people think I can do impressive things...

cp8rker
06-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Both my kids wear one. Two reasons. The first is we have the chrome one that is reflective and you can see them in the water better and we have had two concussions last year

trayson
06-30-2017, 12:54 PM
After 2 ear slapping crashes in a week, I ordered ear flaps for my helmet.

07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Crashed my stand up Super Jet this weekend at about 50 MPH. Not sure why I was going that fast in light chop. I was wishing I had my helmet on and some ear flaps for that one. luckily the right side of my face kept the rest of me from being hurt.

cp8rker
08-01-2017, 06:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/947fcf2c1fde3d96d26a28c40deeb145.jpg

Let our guard down and went wake boarding without our helmet. Best wake ever off of our Craz. Need to work on the landing. My kids will always were the helmets now

Poison
08-01-2017, 06:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/947fcf2c1fde3d96d26a28c40deeb145.jpg

Let our guard down and went wake boarding without our helmet. Best wake ever off of our Craz. Need to work on the landing. My kids will always were the helmets now

Did you catch a fin or something? Jeez that looks painful.

cp8rker
08-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Did you catch a fin or something? Jeez that looks painful.

cp8rker
08-01-2017, 06:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170801/da1c6643e64be2da6380f0e39143dc15.jpg

Couldn't figure out what he hit seeing it was a face plant. Doctor said it looked like a sharp edge. He stayed in the bindings

08-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Damn that's crazy. I wonder if there was something in the water? Small chance.

Paxton
08-02-2017, 12:27 PM
I think I may have caught the back side of the board when the front size caught an edge. That is the only way I could see getting the cut. Lets just say from now on I will wear my helmet that was actually in the boat when that happened.

08-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Scorpion? Hard to tell, it all happens so fast.

Fastest1
09-04-2017, 12:59 PM
I have been in and around boats and various dragged items all of my life.

This weekend started out with my Son kneeboarding. We had a few guests in the boat with no experience. First ride my Son pops up after a mild crash with a gash just like the one above. He wasnt even aware of it though he did feel the impact. Off to the hospital and 3 stitches later in the forehead. We are baclk on the water inside of 3 hours.
Back in the boat. My Sons's friend gets on the kneeboard, crashes and pops bleeding in the back of the head. It is a smaller gash and the guy wants to continue. The guests are now losing faith in what used to be a simple and safe sport ;-). Fortunately nothing else goes wrong and even the guests get a few turns and all but 1 were successful getting up and having fun with no further injuries.
Though the friend stopped bleeding with a little direct pressure. I was scared to take him to the hospital. 2 kids, same day, different times with cuts in the head. I am sure I would have to explain that to CPS or someone ;-) That was joke btw.
I might be a little more open minded in regards to helmets.
I am used to seeing or having been in some pretty horrific cartwheels and crashes with no bleeding. Plenty of soreness and stiffness.