PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots-Bad!

KarMobLSV06
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I wipe of my new Black 2006 Mobius LSv every time I take it out of the water. I put a nice coat of Maguires Carnuba wax on it in May right after I picked it up from the dealer. Then we went on a 5 day houseboat vacation when the boat had less than 50 hours on it and it stayed in the water, it was Norris Lake so the water was clean. When we puilled it out we tried to wipe it down and it had water spots that wouldn't wipe off. i thought no big deal I'll break out the Carnbuba wax and the orbital buffer and that will take care of it. Well, it didn't. No matter how much i buffed it the water spots won't come off. I had a black 1983 Ski Supreme that I kept immaculate by doing the same maintenance routine to the gelcoat.

Anyone have a cure for water spots that now have a coat of wax over them!?

We're going to the lake this weekend with Nautique owners-I can just hear them now!

qb12
08-11-2006, 08:47 AM
You can use 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 vinegar. This will remove the water spots but you will have to apply some wax after. (kind of nasty)

Babes also makes a product called babe's spot solver. It really works well and then you can use their other product called babe's boat bright and it give's a awsome shine.

You can buy their products direct from them at babesboats.com

db

smokedog2
08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I like aero 303. It is likely lime.

SD2

Rugburn
08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Aero 303 works on waterspots? Wow, truely magical stuff. I just got my first bottle of it last week for my seats, never considered it on the hull. I too have a black boat and I get waterspots in the groove running down the hull. Ill give it a try.

KarMobLSV06
08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I have some Aeor 303 I bought for the vinyl. I'll try it and let you know how it works.

SD2 I think you are right it looks like it could be lime, I've never had that happen before, is it the water at Norris or do you get it a Rocky Fork too?

Smrtz
08-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Im gonna have to try that too.. those friggin water spots make cleaning the boat an all day thing instead of a 2 hr job..

Thanks for the insight guys!!

Jay

smokedog2
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Plan B for Rocky Fork was a lime quary. Never been to norris but that is my bet

zabooda
08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Vinegar works well. It happens alot around where I live because of the yard sprinkler systems and most hand car washs here provide that service.

seanpatsdad
08-14-2006, 09:30 AM
karmoblsv06
The lake I ski on is very hard water.I started using a product called Boat Bling Hot Sauce.It really works great and will not stip your wax off so no re applying of wax is needed.Here is the web site.WWW.BOATBLING.NET.Just my .02.
John

qb12
08-14-2006, 09:48 AM
seanpatsdad, I have tried that stuff and it does work well. I just cannot stand of the smell of that stuff.

db

Smrtz
08-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I cant believe how well the vinegar and water works on these water spots. Last time I had to scrub forever to get them off and with this I just wiped them away..
Completely rewaxed the boat afterward it looks awesome!

And environmentally friendly to boot!!

Cheers

Tanners
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Me too. I just got back from Norris Lake on Saturday and washed it down only to find horrible water spotting (I also picked up a case of swimers ear - but that's another topic)

I tried waxing all day Sunday, no luck. I went to the dealer today and he recommended a product that he didn't carry. I stopped a the grocery and FOUND the answer

SCRUBBING BUBBLES for FIBERGLASS SHOWERS and TUBS

This is pretty strong stuff so I was careful to do the following;

- I set up the hose and my "Mr. Clean", "No-Spot Car Wash" so I could rinse it off immediately with the de-ion water
- I sprayed on the Scrubbing Bubbles and let them soak in for about 30 seconds
- While they were soaking, I washed the overspray off of the trailer
- I took a clean sponge and rubbed gently
- Rinsed VERY well with the "Mr. Clean" De-ion water
- Dried the area immediately using a no-lint drying towell (synthetic chamois)
WATER SPOTS ARE GONE!!!
- Waxed it down

Remember - you have a coat of good wax under those water spots so the scrubbing bubbles wont' get to the glass if you're careful

seanpatsdad
08-15-2006, 02:45 AM
qb12
the smell does get your attention.
John

qb12
08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
seanpatsdad,

the smell does get "everyone's attn..

the last time I used it there was a south wind probably 15mph or so. the people in the boat got their eyes burned but the funny thing was about the time I was cleaning some scary looking family was walking behind the boat and a little boy said "mom something smells like your kitchen".

I thought I was going to fall down laughing.

I am still a big advocate of babes boat products.

KarMobLSV06
08-16-2006, 03:54 PM
I tried the Aero 303 first, too much effort. It left streaks unless you buffed the heck out of it.

The water and vinegar solution worked great!! I couldn't believe how easily the solution got the lime water spots off the boat. I had to go over some areas twice, probably beacause I had a coat of wax over the spots too. Didn't have time to wax it before our weekend trip, but the boat wiped down fine after the trip-no waterspots. I'm getting another coat of wax on her tonight.

We also had an outbreak of swimmer's ear hit the family after returning from Norris.

Another helpful hint, if your wake plate stops working, check the fluid. Having fluid in the wake plate system really helps its performance-it will work then!

I don't see how you could run a 2006 Mobius LSV without the wake plate. I have to use it all the time to keep the boat from bouncing even at 22-24 mph.

Thanks for all the advise. The boat was shining for our weekend and no smart comments from Ski Notquite owners.

KarMobLSV06
08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I tried the Aero 303 first, too much effort. It left streaks unless you buffed the heck out of it.

The water and vinegar solution worked great!! I couldn't believe how easily the solution got the lime water spots off the boat. I had to go over some areas twice, probably beacause I had a coat of wax over the spots too. Didn't have time to wax it before our weekend trip, but the boat wiped down fine after the trip-no waterspots. I'm getting another coat of wax on her tonight.

We also had an outbreak of swimmer's ear hit the family after returning from Norris.

Another helpful hint, if your wake plate stops working, check the fluid. Having fluid in the wake plate system really helps its performance-it will work then!

I don't see how you could run a 2006 Mobius LSV without the wake plate. I have to use it all the time to keep the boat from bouncing even at 22-24 mph.

Thanks for all the advise. The boat was shining for our weekend and no smart comments from Ski Notquite owners.

Tanners
08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey Karmo...

"Ski NotQuite" - I like that one. Do you have any for the Master Crafters or the Malibu-ers?