PDA

View Full Version : Boat storage

Davpmars
05-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone,

I don't have a carport to park my boat under and each time it rains it is getting wet through the cover. This then requires that I remove the cover and dry everything out. Should I be worried about how many times the boat is getting wet?

Sometimes I don't even put the cover on because I know it is going to get damp and I'm just going to have to take it off and dry everything out.

Thoughts? What do you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pipeliner07
05-24-2017, 12:29 AM
I just pay the extra money and put it in indoor storage protect your investment it's well worth it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
05-24-2017, 12:30 AM
I pay $145mo for indoor storage. 13' manual door 30' deep with electrical in the unit. Facility has a bathroom, outdoor shower & car wash (never used it).

Money well spent!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
05-24-2017, 01:41 AM
Get a really good cover. We've seen some pretty bad interiors on this site with cracked vinyl from year round water and sun. I've kept my boat outside covered forever with no problems. The sun can be just as bad so more shade protection from the sun the better.

Darter
05-24-2017, 07:41 AM
I would definitely invest in the best waterline cover our there if I had to store in the elements. You will be able to keep water out and sun off the hull.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lee
05-24-2017, 08:38 AM
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard

gregski
05-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Do you have good supports? The majority of the covers are "breathable" which makes them water resistant and not water proof. We find that ours sheds water perfectly and won't let any through but if there is a low spot that holds a puddle, then it will start seeping through. We keep adjusting the supports until no puddles are collecting and often have to just concede and just pull the cover to drain any little ones collecting during a rain storm. You can get waterproof covers but they don't breathe and will cause a whole host of other problems so I wouldn't consider them except for longer term storage after the boat is 100% dry.

twisters6
05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
My cover did not hold any water out when I first got the boat. I bought this stuff and it repels water like a champ now!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY4RE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Davpmars
05-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Do you have good supports? The majority of the covers are "breathable" which makes them water resistant and not water proof. We find that ours sheds water perfectly and won't let any through but if there is a low spot that holds a puddle, then it will start seeping through. We keep adjusting the supports until no puddles are collecting and often have to just concede and just pull the cover to drain any little ones collecting during a rain storm. You can get waterproof covers but they don't breathe and will cause a whole host of other problems so I wouldn't consider them except for longer term storage after the boat is 100% dry.

Truth be told, I didn't even know about the 2 supports that came with the boat. I recently found them and have been using them. I just figured that would help the problem but not necessarily resolve the problem. It rained last night and the cover was secured properly. I'm going to see if the boat is still dry.

Thanks for the help.