PDA

View Full Version : Keep tunes playing when stopping/starting engine?

tgilders
05-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Hi guys, first post. I'm a brand-new Moomba 2017 Mondo owner and love the boat. We just started using it (Gun Lake, MI) and one simple thing is such a downer. After a run of surfing or whatnot, I do the right thing and shut the engine off while we switch riders, but shutting the engine off turns the radio off immediately. The radio will come back on automatically in about 30-45 seconds, but what a buzz kill to be listening to tunes and having a good time, and all of a sudden.. no radio. oh, just wait.. it'll be back on.

Is this normal or am I missing a setting or procedure?

Is there a way to start/stop the engine, while keeping the tunes playing in a stock boat?

Thanks!

rdlangston13
05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
You will neee to rewrite the power for the radio to an acc switch. This is one of the things I'm going to do when I put the stereo in the new boat. Hate when the tunes cut on and off when starting/stopping the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
05-23-2017, 02:17 PM
You will neee to rewrite the power for the radio to an acc switch. This is one of the things I'm going to do when I put the stereo in the new boat. Hate when the tunes cut on and off when starting/stopping the engine

Can you share a writeup when you do this? I'd definitely like to do the same...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

supra790
05-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Me too

2016 Supra SG 450

sivs1
05-23-2017, 02:45 PM

I have a Stereo Switch on my dash. I can have all power off and as long as my battery switch is in the on position 1, 2 or 1 and 2 I can have tunes playing. Figured this would be pretty standard on at least Supra's.

rdlangston13
05-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Sure but it's fairly straight forward. Just need to find the power and ground for the stereo and run them to the battery, then find the turn on wire for the stereo and run it to an acc switch and from there to the 12V power wire you ran to the battery

Pound
05-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Hinojosa, Just have Rinker's do it when they do your 20hr service. That's what I did. Upgraded my ballast at the same time.

RC_Hinojosa
05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Hinojosa, Just have Rinker's do it when they do your 20hr service. That's what I did. Upgraded my ballast at the same time.
Nice! What ballast did you go with? 1140s or Enzos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Pound
05-23-2017, 04:27 PM
<Hijack>
i just had them install 1100's. Seems to have done the trick, but i'll tell ya, they don't fill all the way. Some % of the bag is under the forward divider and under the rear seats. which the divider prevents the bags from getting 100% full. Enzo bags (or ideally custom bags) would be best. But again, the 1100's seem to do the trick as I am able to surf ropeless now (and for reference, i'm a shade over 200 lbs, w/a crappy CWB Ride surf board).
We're about 95% sure we're going to Lake Belton this weekend... ever been? Should be a great place for you to get that beautiful Craz up to.
</Hijack>

OP, yes, it's easily fixable. either thru your own effort or a few bucks thrown at your dealer.

BrettLee3232
05-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Not sure if this helps or not but when I upgraded my stereo the installer made it so it doesn't shut off with the engine. Not sure what he did but it doesn't shut off. I don't have a stereo switch either.

MLA
05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Just to clarify, you are not actually rewiring the "power" or constant B+ for the head unit, but rather the red switched turn-on/ Two different circuits.

If you have an unused toggle/rocker on the helm, find the red switched IGN to the head unit and relocate it to the output of the toggle/rocker. It should be pre-wired with B+ to it already, just find the output.

That Guy
05-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Yeah MLA is correct. This is one of the first things I did on my boat. I just moved the power from ignition to the empty Aux switch above the radio. This headunit takes forever to power up, so annoying. But I did the same on my last boat to avoid any music interruption.

The_Robo_Fighter
05-23-2017, 06:53 PM
I installed a blue sea "add a battery". By isolating the starting circuit my stereo is unaffected by starting the engine. Added benefit is the protection of my starting battery from parasitic draw ensures I never have a weak/ dead starting battery. Kit was very easy to install. Only had to purchase 2 battery cables from autozone. 25639

MLA
05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
The blue sea add a battery kit a great system, but totally out in left field and not at all related to the ignition key turning on/off the head unit. On almost all boats, the key switch is supplied by the main cranking battery, off the starter main post. Installing the add a battery kit will not change this.

RC_Hinojosa
05-24-2017, 07:32 AM
<Hijack>
We're about 95% sure we're going to Lake Belton this weekend... ever been? Should be a great place for you to get that beautiful Craz up to.
</Hijack>

Haven't been to Lake Belton, I have to check it out. We'll be spending the long weekend doing some camping at Rocky Creek in Somerville and hopefully some riding if it ain't too windy.

The General
05-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Is this an issue on the Pro as well? not really a problem but if its such an easy fix, I'd prefer to have the dealer take care of it before delivery.

moombahighrider
05-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Is this an issue on the Pro as well? not really a problem but if its such an easy fix, I'd prefer to have the dealer take care of it before delivery.

Yep, fixed mine last night. There is an acc switch with wires available to connect it to.

mattsask
05-24-2017, 10:06 AM
I always switch my key from run straight to acc or whatever that position is on the left. That way you can turn the engine off without getting any music interruption.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

moombahighrider
05-24-2017, 10:07 AM
I always switch my key from run straight to acc or whatever that position is on the left. That way you can turn the engine off without getting any music interruption.

So you are able to turn it to acc quick enough that the music stays on?

mattsask
05-24-2017, 10:09 AM
So you are able to turn it to acc quick enough that the music stays on?
Yes, it stays on as long as you don't stop in the off position.

Pound
05-24-2017, 11:20 AM
^^^that only works for stopping the engine. when you restart it, the HU power is interrupted while engine restarting. Also, i think it's good practice when restarting the engine, to pause on the "run" position for a few seconds before hitting the starter, so that the trim tabs and controller can go thru it's pre-start checks before firing up the motor. Some people have had issues w/the tabs getting out of sync w/the computer and causing issues, and this may avoid that. ...but this delays the HU from turning back on in a timely manner. Rewiring to a separate ACC switch is the best option (IMO).

WildH
05-15-2022, 09:43 AM
^^^that only works for stopping the engine. when you restart it, the HU power is interrupted while engine restarting. Also, i think it's good practice when restarting the engine, to pause on the "run" position for a few seconds before hitting the starter, so that the trim tabs and controller can go thru it's pre-start checks before firing up the motor. Some people have had issues w/the tabs getting out of sync w/the computer and causing issues, and this may avoid that. ...but this delays the HU from turning back on in a timely manner. Rewiring to a separate ACC switch is the best option (IMO).

Anyone have a picture of the wires needed to be moved? Have a 2022 with dual batteries and would like the stereo to stay on as well.

Does the simple acc switch stop still kill the audio when cranking over the starter?

996scott
05-15-2022, 01:51 PM
not sure if this helps but.....
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33069-Stereo-wire-to-acc-switch-Help

WildH
05-15-2022, 08:07 PM
not sure if this helps but.....
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33069-Stereo-wire-to-acc-switch-Help

Good info. Thanks.