PDA

View Full Version : Possible Boomerang coming to family; questions though

dfroster
05-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Had a 1989 Supra comp and 1999 ski nautique in my family growing up. Bought outboard powered boats on my own after that. In the market for an inboard for my my family now...teaching my kids and for me to get back into skiing regularly again. Anyway, looking at a decent 1998 boomerang. Two issues: 1.) no hour gauge. Is that common for moombas to get shipped without one? Current owner estimates 400 hours. Test drive the boat. Motor runs very nice. Turns very easily. Sat at idle for about 5 minutes and opened the engine box to find a small amount of water below. Figured that was normal. 2.) However, after pulling boat out and and checking below again found lots more water. Unscrewed plug and about a gallon poured out. Owner said water enters though where the steering shaft exits the boat above the swim platform when that area is submerged. That area was under for about a minute before boat came out of water. So, is that a known issue with the boomerang because of the shaft exit design or could there be a worn gasket in the housing box? Seems strange water would not enter through that area when launching. Really like the boat. So, Boomerang owners please provide input. Many thanks to all.

skiyaker
05-23-2017, 08:23 AM
are you sure the water isn't coming in the shaft stuffing box? Ask the owner if it's ever been repacked. That boat wouldn't have a dripless shaft but it would be easy to tighten the box a little and see if it reduces water entry or at least visualize the stuffing box when the boat's in the water to look at the drip rate. That boat makes an awesome slalom wake and is a lot of fun. Kind of like a canoe with a huge engine. Oh- and make sure the stringers are solid especially if it's had that much water in it.

sandm
05-23-2017, 10:46 AM
buddy has one. loved driving it. one of the smallest wakes I have seen.
agree with skiyaker on all of the above. prob. the shaft box. I would have it checked. also second the stringers.

in regards to hours meters you are looking at a 20 year old boat. personally I would rather have one with 1000hrs than 400 as that 400hr boat has sat a LOT. seals dry out and can create more issues. once a boat is that old, expect small issues and wouldn't worry about the hours.
other nice thing is that if you do need an engine, they are easy to replace.