PDA

View Full Version : Best V-drive suitable for Slalom/Wakeboarding...Outback V?

cmathis
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi,
Looking to purchase in the next month or 2. I've settled on Moomba, but I started with a simple purchase of the Outback, but I've moved on to the Outback LS, and now to the Outback V. Still wondering if Direct drive isn't my best choice, but I do want room for passengers. Have small children/inlaws :)

I need a 50/50 ski/wakeboard boat. All will be strictly recreational, but I do want a good slalom wake. I'm thinking the Outback V with a wake plate might be the ticket. Anyone slalom a good bit with the Outback V?

By the way, when will we be able to start ordering '07 models?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Smrtz
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi Craig.

Based on what you are saying your needs are, I would definately agree with you that the outback V would probably be your best bet. Throws a really good wake for wakeboaring and also with the wakeplate it will give you a great slalom wake as well.

Best thing you can do is go test drive them both to make sure.

Cheers
Jay

JC_N_NC
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
We bought our Outback V the last week of June and I can tell you it is a great all around boat. We have pulled wakeboard, slalom, tube, beginner skiers, barefooters, even someone on a barefoot step off last week and it has been great all around. It took a little bit to get the right ballast, speed, and wake plate to get a good boarding wake. The thing I like about it is the storage. I have two wakeboards, one slalom, a set of beginner skis, two tubes, all the ropes and all of the Monster Tower attachments stored in the lockers beside the engine.

If you're going to do it make sure to get a V. You will not be sorry.

Now, will I buy a Moomba again? It's still early but I'd probably say no at this point. I have not had anything major with the boat but the enterior has minor issues. Seams not lining up on the vinyl properly, snaps for the cover coming out (more than once), A little too much rattle in the tower when boards are on it and you're going down the lake.

I think another $5000-$10,000 would get you a much better boat. (More than $5,000-$10,000 worth - for all that would say that of course it would).

We love our time on the boat and are going 3-4 times a week steady, so make sure the boat suits your usage and you can't go wrong.

Smrtz
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
those small issues you have had Im not sure how that is worth an extra 10,000 to you? like I could see the actual structure of the boat affecting your decision Like what boat would you put up against the outback V and say "this boat is 10,000 more and its better because...

Im just curious

Jay

cmathis
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
As long as I can get a soft wake for slalom out of the V I'll be happy with it for now since we're on a budget. I'm guessing you would just put the wakeplate all the way down for slalom. Again, we're not looking for competitive skiing, but I'm sick of I/O wakes and want a step up from that. I've been behind a direct drive a few times, but never a V wake.

Craig

YellowMoomba0
08-09-2006, 02:25 PM
After price (including Perfect Pass) and all other important features are considered, If you still have not decided, then definately take your ski and get dealer to pull you behind both.

Good Luck

tarkus70
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I'll take the small things that can go wrong for 10k less than other 'brands" if I paid more for my boat and still had the same trouble I'd be pissed. Oh and I'm talking about someone who knows Three of my friends bought another "brand' and they are having " little things" with there boats. if you count fly wheel and bell housing and motor mounts little things for 70k boat. As always Just my $0.02

Scott

JoeTechie
08-10-2006, 09:34 AM
To Answer the original poster's question:

The V-Drives do not and cannot create a ski-tournament level wake (or lack thereof). However, at 32mph+, wakeplate down 85-90%, half a tank of fuel, and a person in the bow, the wake flattens out to near nothing. I'd rate it above any I/O wake I've seen. My old 19' outboard was a touch better, but only barely.

The Outback V is a slightly smaller, lighter boat than the Mobius LSV, so the wake will be smaller.

If you are only skiing 50% of the time - get a V-Drive. The overall enjoyment and usable space will overrule any comlaints about the wake in no time.

The '07 boats should be avaialable for order sometime in Sept I think.

Enjoy, and post pics when you buy the new toy.

-Joe

cmathis
08-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the input. I have settled on the V, I've just got to get a good price on an '07. Just had a dealer quote me $39,000 to order an 07. That was with Wakeboard package, performance, etc. I know the price is going up a bit for 2007, but from the configurator, that's going to be around MSRP, or above. Guess I'm going to have to shop around a bit.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Craig

Smrtz
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Hey Craig,

The best thing you can do is to wait for the boat shows this comming spring. That tends to be where the best deals happen. lots of incentives direct from SC.

Good Luck!

Jay

cmathis
08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I'm getting that impression. I was hoping to go ahead and grab something now since it stays pretty warm down this way through October and we could at least get out and do some crusing. The dealer I spoke with says he could get me an '07 as early as mid-end September, so I was going with that. Might just have to wait for show incentives.

Craig

cmathis
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
One more quick question............should I just split the difference and go with a Outback LS (with cage) since it's a little larger (make a better wakeboard wake), but is still direct drive? I'm guessing that the LS can produce better slalom wakes and decent wakeboard wakes. Just a though?

I keep second guessing myself :)

Craig

Smrtz
08-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey Craig....

Dont leave such a big investment to chance take your board and ski down to the dealer...have them take you for a rip in all the models you want... It's what they are there for. As far as Im concerned the V drive configuration is just so much nicer for having people in the boat as opposed to the big hump in the middle but, like I said its something you have to decide based on experience..!!

Let us know how it turns out

Jay

Dave A
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Craig,

I bought a 2005 Mobius LS because my wife said she loved to slalom. I am a recreational slalom skier, but have just started to enjoy it more. I really enjoy the wakeboard. My LS makes a good wake, with front and rear ballast, but, I would gladly give up the little bit better wake my LS has for slalom for the extra room and the better wakeboard wake. I have about 100 hours on my boat and i would say 70% of the someone being towed hours are me. My kids are too young and the rest of my family too old. I take my friends, but in a DD boat, if you are slaloming, you really limit the amount of people on the boat to 4 max. 1 Driver, 1 observer and 1 skier and 1 person in the bow, and that effects your wake. Wakeboarding with the tower, you can fill the boat, because the rope doesn't interfere with the rear seats. That being said, I wish I had known better when I bought my boat. Don't get me wrong, I have never had a single problem and I have always wanted a DD boat, but V-Drive would make the family ski/tube/wakeboard experience a little better.

Wakesurfer
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Craig,

I agree ask the dealer to ski behind both. I had the same dilema and got the 2006 Outback V; fantastic wake for skiing, much better than a 21.5" DD. I run the slalom course with it and the wake is not an issue. It starts getting realy good at 28MPH. Make sure you get the Adjustable wake plate. its a must!

Wakesurfer
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Craig,

I agree ask the dealer to ski behind both. I had the same dilema and got the 2006 Outback V; fantastic wake for skiing, much better than a 21.5" DD. I run the slalom course with it and the wake is not an issue. It starts getting realy good at 28MPH. Make sure you get the Adjustable wake plate. its a must!

cmathis
08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm with ya! Dealer should have new 07's in a month or so and we're gonna go up and try them out. I'm gonna try the outback and the outback V. I'll probably end up the V since I'm the only skier in the family. I think the V will fit in nicelly with us. I'll keep everyone posted.

Craig

cmathis
08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, we ordered an Outback V this weekend. Should be here by the end of Sept. Got it loaded with 3 color gel for $37,700. I think we got a great price with pretty much every option we'd need. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Craig

EricNCSU1204
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I too cannot decide on which would be better, a V-drive or a DD. One thing I could use some input on is, the further back on the boat you are pulling a slalom skier, the more they tend to jerk the back of the boat as they go ack and forth across the wake. My question is, with a DD, you feel no pull , when towing from the center pylon. How bad can you feel it pulling from the pylon on a V-drive? I too will plan on using mine 50/50 for slaloming and wakeboarding...

JC_N_NC
08-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Eric,

I noticed the NCSU so I take it you're located here in NC. Go to your local dealer (Grandpa's here in Greensboro) and ask them to take you out on it. We have slalom skiers off of the pylon and own a V drive. With a 200lb+ skier at 15 off on the course at 31mph we don't hardly notice it.

Add the added space and the V is a no brainer. A friend of mine has a 2004 Outback DD and he was in my boat the other night with his 14 year old son and he was saying that our wake was much better than his DD and that the boat had a ton more room. Also with the pylon being on the DD your back seat is lost. We can slalom with the boat loaded if we're out with another family. With the DD you have to get everyone in front of the engine.

For my son (12 yrs old / 105 lbs) we use the tower to get him up on the skis. Since you're pulling more up and forward than on the pylon it makes it MUCH easier for a new skier to get up.

If you're looking for an outing let me know. Maybe we can get out. We board/ski every Saturday as a family, and I have a group of 4 guys that go out at least once a week at night time at either Oak Hollow Lake or Belews Creek.

JC

EricNCSU1204
08-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey, thanks for the advice man. Yea we actually went out to the boat show at the NC state fairgrounds and I talked to a few guys from Grandpa's.. really nice guys, not like normal salesmen. We decided the Mobius LSV would be my best deal for what all I want.. could get a 2007 loaded out for about $40k... too bad i am in the process of buying a house... so the boat will have to wait at least a year so i can still save enough to put at least 50% down or .. gasp.... pay cash... or.. if I am lucky, I could find a nice used one,, will just have to see when the time comes.

As for the outing... one of my good friends has an '01 Outback he's got decked out.. we were actually out on falls lake, north of raleigh till about 9 this evening... thats seems to be the wakeboarding spot around here.. not as many tubers and such... anyways, i'll quit rambling now... if you''d like to join us out there one day, I think we are gonna go to the wakeboarding tourny they are having out there in 2 weeks... boat spectators only,, no watching from the shore....

Take care, and preciate the advice

- E

.. oh yea... I am located here in Raleigh

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
09-02-2006, 11:38 PM
One thing I have noticed with my 06 Outback V for the optimal slalom wake... The Trim plate is a MUST and take 15' off the line and you are GOLDEN!!!

MOOMBA OUTBACK V = BOOT MUM OV'A BACK
A BUCKO TO MAMBO = MOOMBA OUTBACK

YellowMoomba0
09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
I got the DD for price and because I mainly ski the course. I noticed one added benefit to the DD. It keeps people out and on their own boat. Its the "Cheez-its" of ski boats.