PDA

View Full Version : Changed my first impellar

Rugburn
08-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Last night I changed my first impellar. Apart from being difficult to reach it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Reading the threads in here, the tip about bumping the motor over a few times after you have a the plate off worked well. It worked the old impellar out far enough for me to see it. I also discovered the top hose coming out of the pump at one time or another rubbed against the belt of the engine. Hard to tell if it leaks but it has a pretty decent gouge in it so its getting replaced anyway. I disconnected the bad hose and that gave me a spot to reach inside the pump push the old impellar from behind with a screwdriver and it popped right out. Even if I didnt have to replace that hose, I think I would use this method again. With the V drive its almost impossible to get any leverage once you have a hold of the impellar with pliers.

05mobiusxlv
08-10-2006, 01:36 AM
How did your old impeller look? How many hour's did your impeller have on it? Was your engine running a little warm? I think I remember reading that you are supposed to change them every 100 hours, is that right?

I have a new impeller sitting in my garage, but I have not got around to installing it yet. It's making me a little nervous. But its been to hot to work on it, and I have been using my boat every day. I have kept a close eye on my temp gauge lately, but I have never seen it over 170 degrees.

Rugburn
08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
The old impellar looked as good as the new one going in. I didnt change mine out last year so I figured it was time to do it. I had an impellar break apart on me in a Four Winns I used to own. That boat was never right after that, it always seemed to run a little hotter than it did before the impellar blew apart.

Changing the impellar also gave me a chance to familarize myself with a few things as Im going to winterize myself this year for the first time.

radryan
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Great tip on taking the water hose off to push from behind with a screw driver. I will use that on my next change. Mine was a bear to get off last time after an hour I decided to pull the whole housing and even then I had another couple of minutes of real effort befor it pulled.

scottman
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
haha, that impeller in the V drive almost made me wish I'd bought a direct drive. It's crazy hard to get to and once you get wedged back there you have no room to work. Got it though, boat is all winterized now...