PDA

View Full Version : 2007 boat mate trailer

Patrick Sedlak
05-18-2017, 06:07 AM
I just bought a 2007 lsv from local dealer and realized after a few uses that the trailer bunks are loose and need to be replaced. How difficult of a job is it to replace the bunks? I assume the wood is treated, and it looks like Black indoor, outdoor carpet that covers the bunks. I have not replaced bunks before, appreciate your thoughts.

Stazi
05-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Easy job. Treated wood available from HD or Lowes, who also sell outdoor carpet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rorymulderrig
05-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Easy I did mine before the start of this season, I also changed to bunk wraps rather than carpet.

http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/marine-trailer-accessories/BunkWrapsII.php

take plenty of measurements before you remove the old ones

zabooda
05-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Use bunk wrap.

996scott
05-18-2017, 01:57 PM
I did mine last season. I bought the wood from HD and the bunk carpet from Overtons. The bunk carpet was much nicer than the outdoor carpet they sell at HD. Also bought new screws, washers, and staples to replace the old ones. It's not a hard job if the boat is off the trailer.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Deluxe-Daystar-16-oz-Marine-Trailer-Bunk-Carpet-12W-x-12L&i=71847

kaneboats
05-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Use at least "monel" if not stainless staples.

Patrick Sedlak
05-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Just got a quote from a local trailer repair shop to replace all bunks, $650? At that price looks like I will replace them.

4alkings
05-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Just got a quote from a local trailer repair shop to replace all bunks, $650? At that price looks like I will replace them.

Heck, for that price bring it by my house. I'll be glad do it :D

Stazi
05-19-2017, 07:11 AM
$650?! I would laugh in their faces. WTF?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5:00
05-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Easy job just time consuming.

kaneboats
05-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Yes and you really need the boat off the trailer. I just made them at home then took everything I needed to the river with me one day and swapped them out in the parking lot near the launch. Battery drill driver was great.

On my old runabout I just lifted one side at a time off the bunk with a floor jack and some 2x10's. Switched old for new and let her back down. Didn't want to try to lift a Moomba that way though.

trayson
05-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Use at least "monel" if not stainless staples.

What size staples?

kaneboats
05-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Depends on the thickness of your carpet. I think I used 3/8". The 5/16" would be OK for thinner carpet except for corners and stuff where you might be doubled up. Depends on how you fold/cut your corners when you wrap them.

trayson
05-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Depends on the thickness of your carpet. I think I used 3/8". The 5/16" would be OK for thinner carpet except for corners and stuff where you might be doubled up. Depends on how you fold/cut your corners when you wrap them.

I see specs for narrow/medium/wide crown on the various staple guns. That's the part I'm kinda confused on. Looks like the narrow crown staplers do 1/4" crown staples...

When I do this project I'm definitely not doing it with my spring loaded hand staple gun. And I'd probably have to do it at the dock, so using my air staple gun wouldn't work. I'd be tempted to throw down on the Ryobi 18v cordless one, but that only does 1/4" crown. I'm wondering if that would work.

kaneboats
05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Why wouldn't you measure them, cut them and cover them at home? Then take everything to the dock and switch them out after you off load the boat. Leave the scrap in a dumpster on the way home.

trayson
05-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Why wouldn't you measure them, cut them and cover them at home? Then take everything to the dock and switch them out after you off load the boat. Leave the scrap in a dumpster on the way home.

Because I obviously left my brain at home today. *facepalm*

You're 100% right. That said, I'd still be interested in knowing the crown staples that would be appropriate, even to do them at home as I sip on tasty beverages while running my air stapler...

kaneboats
05-19-2017, 04:13 PM
The correct staples are the ones that fit in the air gun. I have done bunks with a manual stapler. Not fun. If the ones that fit the gun are small just double or triple them up.

You could also consider using some glue under the carpet so less work for the staples to do. You never have to recover bunks-- they end up getting scrapped cuz you replace the whole thing so glue won't ever have to be scraped off.