PDA

View Full Version : Boat taking on water

smlski46
05-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Just put my boat in the water for the first time this year.
It is taking on water about as fast as the sump pump can pump it out.
Can't see the leak from engine compartment, leaks weather the engine is running or not.
Is there a seal on the prop shaft that could cause this?
Any other likely cause?
2005 Outback

5:00
05-17-2017, 03:13 PM
There are a few things that could cause it. Bad seal on the prop shaft is one of them. It could be a thru hull fitting, leak in cooling system, crack in exhaust outlet through transom, missing o-ring on drain plug(s), leak through surf system. Those are probably the main ones.
Maybe dry out hull and set boat in water. If nothing then run the motor. If nothing then go underway and check then.

sivs1
05-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Check all hose connections, could just be a lose fitting or even a hose was not replaced after winterizing.

JD14Mondo
05-17-2017, 08:20 PM
My boat was taking on water. Took it back to the dealer. On the trailer the dealer disabled the bilge pump and fill the bilge as high as possible without harming anything. Then watched to see if anything leaking out. Did not find my leak but thought it was good idea. Good luck locating it.

moombahighrider
05-17-2017, 08:36 PM
I had an issue last summer with my exhaust hose that connects to the thru-hull flapper. It wasn't seated properly and was letting water in at a pretty steady rate. Was hard to find and was worse underway so had a friend drive and crawled around with a flashlight to figure it out. I think it was always there but when I put the FAE on, it increased back pressure and started to come out more or pushed the connection beyond what it was holding previously. Ended up getting it seated further on the connection and was good after that but it took a bit to do.

Isaguel
06-10-2017, 02:38 PM
2 weeks ago, I noticed water running down my feet, opened the center cover for the plug, noticed like 8" of water, plugs were all in. Started throwing up seat covers and eventually found the front left ballast hose was disconnected and pouring in water. The guy who winterized it didn't connect it tight enough. Now I'm paranoid and check all the ballast hoses when I go out.