PDA

View Full Version : Knife & Mask

Woody929
05-07-2017, 04:10 PM
I know it was mentioned here already, but I can't stress the importance of a dive mask and dive knife enough.

A few years ago, the tube rope got tangled around the drive shaft. I spent over a hour going under the boat and pulling the rope out (without a knife or mask). This is what sealed the deal for me for always carrying these 2 tools on board.

Now fast forward to yesterday. While cruising across the lake at 26 mph to go eat at one of the local restaurants, the boat slowed dramatically, and I could tell we had something in the prop. I immediately shut it down, and knew I was going to have to get wet. I donned my mask and jumped in. What I found was a long blue rope tangled around the drive shaft. I pulled up on the line that went into the abyss, and wound up pulling up someone's anchor they abandoned.

Luckily I had my dive knife on board. In about 20 minutes, I was able to cut the rope off of the shaft, and get to dinner and a cold beer.

I would like to thank Russell for circling like a shark and calling me 'Scuba Steve'. On the bright side, I now have a 28lb anchor to sell.

russellsmojo
05-07-2017, 04:46 PM
I was providing supervision because you had a knife out. Could not have completed the job without me. Haha! Where is the scuba Steve photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stazi
05-08-2017, 06:13 AM
I always have a mask on my boat. Good idea on the dive knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JASONZ
05-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Everyone needs to have a mask & knife on the boat. It will save your day!

trayson
05-08-2017, 12:07 PM
I always have a mask on my boat. Good idea on the dive knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went one step further and got a floating knife... it was cheap.
https://www.linder.de/pics/products/_zoom/169311_zoom.jpg

Stazi
05-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Good old Mora knife! [emoji106]

GregInKS
05-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered them on amazon because of this thread.

uniwarking
05-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Any specific models recommended on the mask and knife. I need to get these items added to the list!

zabooda
05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
A friend some years back just about messed up his boat because he didn't have a mask and knife. It was a Memorial Day weekend and he just got his new surf boat and at the campfire on the first night I told him the most important items to have on the boat and I mentioned the knife and mask. The next day, we took his boat out and I showed him the river features and the water was at high flow (approx. 8mph) and he decided to take the kids tubing. Well, he managed to get the rope caught in the prop and it happened upstream from the navigation buoys. We were basically dead in the water as he attempted to undo the mess at the prop to no avail. We headed to the first buoy and he had a choice of doing nothing and hope we go around it, starting the engine and attempt to limp away from the buoy or attempt to push off from the buoy. The last two options would have possibly done some damage to the boat. He got lucky and missed the buoy by about two feet and later he got a knife from a passing boater and got the rope free. He still talks about it to this day.

yearround
05-09-2017, 04:50 PM
goggles and knife have certainly been used by myself. i wish i could say that it will never happen again, but it certainly will. I did just buy a cheap floating knife from Ebay for $6. if too cheap i'll go for some upgrade.

sivs1
05-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Any specific models recommended on the mask and knife. I need to get these items added to the list!

As far as the mask goes, just ordered a dive mask off amazon with good reviews. The knife I have used is the cheap Multi-tool Cabela's sells, I have a few on the boat at all times and they are sharp. Another thing I might suggest is a piece of hose, I'm not one to get claustrophobic, but trying to hold your breath, cut away rope that is tangled in so many ways and not cut yourself the last thing you need is having to come up for air.

bjrow
05-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd never have to bother with such till our last time out, too many posers onboard not enough doers! Wakeboard rope wound itself around the prop just as I switched off. So lots of holding ones breath and fumbling around, got it unwound eventually. Had a knife but visibility was quite poor so a mask is definitely the way to go. Like the tube idea for the snorkel, will get that sorted during Winter.
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.

GregInKS
06-01-2017, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered them on amazon because of this thread.

Man am I glad I did! Yesterday with 8 kids on the boat for a bday party I got the raft tow rope in the prop...
Water was cold, not clear, and I had never done that before.
Long story short I got it out using the mask and it's was the best mask I have ever used!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065NYXWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There was actually a storm coming and nobody else on the lake... This thread saved the day!
I was able to get us on our way in about 10 dives. I will be getting a piece of hose like sivs1 talked about to make it easier next time.

Thanks!!!

Stazi
06-01-2017, 07:55 AM
[emoji122] happy story ending.

Woody929
06-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Great to hear!