PDA

View Full Version : Prop Coupler bolts loose??

jskrantz
05-03-2017, 11:53 AM
2002 Mobious V

Just checking over stuff this year and the 4 bolts for my prop coupler are loose. Looking at it closer the bolts are actually too long and starting to grind the housing. I am going to replace the bolts but im surprise their all loose. Should they be? What is the torque on those and is there anything special I should be cautious of or can I just put four new bolts in and go?

kaneboats
05-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Not sure the torque specs but you can definitely replace them with new stainless bolts and nylock nuts. It is likely your coupler was replaced at some point with on that is not as thick at the collar thus the bolts are too long and should have been replaced at the time. This likely would have been at the time of a shaft replacement.

You can try to call Elbert's and see if he can give you a torque spec but I doubt you will get your torque wrench in there anyway. His instructions give a spec for the coupler itself but not the coupler bolts.

http://elberts.com/driveshaft.pdf

http://elberts.com/system.htm

You should definitely do a shaft alignment while you are changing out your bolts.

jskrantz
05-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Makes sense, I have seen pics of some couplers that are much thicker so that could be why. I came across a couple threads about the shaft alignment which are good but I didn't plan on going through all this for these bolts lol. Hopefully it specs out when im measuring, I really don't want to move me engine

gregski
05-03-2017, 06:32 PM
They work loose and need to be checked as part of regular maintenance. I learned the hard way. The clearance is tight. I had a washer under the bolt head that hit the housing above. The bolts in your picture do look to be one size too long.

kaneboats
05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Hopefully it specs out when im measuring, I really don't want to move me engine

Nothing too it. Do the alignment. You might find that your bolts don't vibrate loose when you have everything aligned. :o

jskrantz
05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Found this nice write up on this site about the alignment. But damn!!! fought and fought it still fighting!! Looks like I am going to have to move the front mounts also. I can get the coupler to slide in just about perfect but when it comes to measuring up there is a gap from 6oclock to 12oclock mostly at the 3oclock position. Unfortunately it seems like the fronts need slide over just a little bit. I don't know how common it is to have to move the front mounts??

DOCDRS
05-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Bolts are in backwards. 30 ft lbs is the torque. Your nylocks look rusted are they stainless