PDA

View Full Version : Having issues, help!!

Bean
05-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Hello I just joined the forum and this is my first post. Just want to thank everyone in advance. I have a 2004 moomba lsv I have been on the water the last 2 weekends with no issues at all, I went saturday and burnt almost a full tank of gas through it. Filled up Sunday and went back. Fired right up and ran fine for about 15 mins and then all of a sudden it just died. I was riding around 3200 rpm or so and it just lost all power and shut down. I messed with it and got it fired back up and it ran kinda rough until i revved it a few times and then started running perfect. I took off again and same scenario, made it a few mintutes and died again. It does the same thing every time but it will idle all day with no problems. I basically just put it in gear and let it go back to the landing and it ran perfect. Any ideas??

dusty2221
05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Vapor Lock. A cold bottle of water poured over the fuel filter will solve it for you.

Bean
05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I pulled the fuel filter off this morning and was gonna replace it. Will that fix it if I have unhooked the old one and putting a new one on it and is this a common issue?

dusty2221
05-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Just changing the filter wont prevent it. It is a common issue.

moombahighrider
05-02-2017, 10:01 AM
This doesn't sound like vapor lock to me. That only happens when the boat has been sitting and not running and the fuel lines/ pump gets hot and produces a vapor bubble. I have not seen vapor lock happen once the motor is running smoothly, like the OP describes. I would think changing the fuel filter is a good first step.

Bean
05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Yea I was actually running down river and it just died. I had been sitting or didn't shut it off or anything like that. Had been riding for maybe 15 minutes and it just started slowing down and shut off. It started back up but continued to have the same issues. To me it seems like that as long as you are not running at a high rpm the engine is getting enough fuel to keep it running as it should but once you give it gas and need more fuel once it burns out what's in the lines it dies. Turn the key on and let it fill the lines back up and go again. I could be 100% wrong but that's just what it seems like to me. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and see what happens but after that idk what to do. Maybe check fuel pressure?

dusty2221
05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Ah, I missed the already running portion! My mistake there, but be aware of vapor lock after coming to a stop and then it idling rough/dyeing when you are ready to roll again.

DOCDRS
05-02-2017, 12:33 PM
2004, is it carb or F.I. ? Sounds like a pump problem, check your connections

Bean
05-02-2017, 01:50 PM
It's fi. I disconnected the filter and turned the key on to see if it was pumping out of the tank and I'm not getting anything. There's a small pump right under the oil filter and it's sucking but I think there's another pump in the tank because when I turn the key on I hear it but I'm not getting gas out of the line. Should it be coming out with the filter unhooked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
05-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the tank fuel pump.

Bean
05-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I just checked the fuel pressure. I'm getting 30psi when I turn the key on. From what I was reading I think it supposed to be 60 but not 100% sure on that. How can I find out which pump it is

moombahighrider
05-02-2017, 10:12 PM
It's fi. I disconnected the filter and turned the key on to see if it was pumping out of the tank and I'm not getting anything. There's a small pump right under the oil filter and it's sucking but I think there's another pump in the tank because when I turn the key on I hear it but I'm not getting gas out of the line. Should it be coming out with the filter unhooked?

I don't think there is a pump in tank on that year boat. That didn't start till 2010 or so, I thought.

Bean
05-02-2017, 11:40 PM
You are absolutely right. I just took the whole dang floor out and there is not a pump in the tank. He's not the only one that's said that I've had numerous people tell me that so possibly some other models have it but mine does not have one. So with this information I'm assuming my fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine is the problem or should I look at the fuel pressure regulator also?

moombahighrider
05-03-2017, 12:15 AM
You are absolutely right. I just took the whole dang floor out and there is not a pump in the tank. He's not the only one that's said that I've had numerous people tell me that so possibly some other models have it but mine does not have one. So with this information I'm assuming my fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine is the problem or should I look at the fuel pressure regulator also?

Start with the fuel filter. Swap it out and let's see if it improves your situation. I would avoid replacing the pump unless you have to...

Bean
05-03-2017, 12:18 AM
I took the filter out and just connected the 2 hoses together and got 30psi, put a brand new filter in and checked again and got 30 again. Thought maybe my gauge was bad so went and bought a brand new one and checked it 2 more times. Dead on 30 both times

moombahighrider
05-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Drive it like you have it plumbed right now.

lee
05-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Can you blow through the old fuel filter?

Bean
05-03-2017, 09:39 AM
I didn't even try I took it off and replaced it. Does anyone know if 60psi is correct on the fuel pressure

zd215
05-03-2017, 10:27 AM
According to the Indmar manual, you should see at least 60PSI at keyup.

http://www.xstreamdata.net/hosted-pics/moomba/fuelpressure.JPG

Bean
05-03-2017, 05:36 PM
I changed the fuel, fuel filter, and fuel pump. Used 3 different gauges to check it and still has 30psi and doing the same thing

Bean
05-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Just done compression check. Had 180 on 7 cylinders and 120 on the other. I'm assuming that's probably my issue??

Bean
05-03-2017, 07:02 PM
I can't seem to find the fuel pressure regulator either. Any pics of where it's located

lee
05-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Have you looked at the inside of the distributor cap to see if it is corroded?

BT_48170
05-04-2017, 12:48 PM
The intermittent part of it makes me think it might worth checking your fuel pressure shut off switch also, these go bad from time to time and will cut the fuel pump power when it's failing or fooling itself. You can bypass the switch with a jumper wire to eliminate the switch cutting power. You should also be able to get a new switch from any auto parts store, I think there are a couple threads with part numbers.

Bean
05-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Where is the switch located? I have a new cap, wires and plugs to put on it today.

BT_48170
05-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Not 100% sure but on my '05 it was on the back of the block between the V. Here is a picture of the switch25543

lee
05-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Not 100% sure but on my '05 it was on the back of the block between the V. Here is a picture of the switch25543

That is a v-drive pressure switch.

Bean
05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I think I need one of those too lol. My v drive works fine and the fluid looks brand new but the light stays on constantly. I was told that switch was probably bad

BT_48170
05-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Yeah same switch for V drive for some (Indmar S501013 Fuel Pump Safety Switch. This same part is also used on the Walters V-drive as a temperature switch.)

Any updates? Figure out what was going on?

Bean
05-09-2017, 01:34 PM
I have all the parts that I ordered finally. Gonna replace them and go run it tomorrow and see where that takes me. I haven't really found anything that seems to be damaged but hopefully it's something simple. My plugs looked horrible they were wet and black down one whole side and the other side had one or 2 that was real bad

Bean
05-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know where I could get the correct fuel pressure regulator. The only one I can find is for like 12psi like the cars have. I've called several parts dealers online and none of them offer the regulator that goes into the throttle body like mine has.

lee
05-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Have you tried an Indmar dealer?

kaneboats
05-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Did you try Bake's? If you don't see what you need give them a call.

http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=fuel%20pressure%20regul ator

Or ski dim?

http://www.skidim.com

Bean
05-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I've tried dealer and both bakes and ski dim they both are telling me that the part is not available through indmar that I have to get it from the parts store but the one at the parts store is not the correct psi. I don't see why indmar wouldn't offer it. If tried to contact them directly but can't seem to find a number for them only email

lee
05-10-2017, 09:30 PM
I've tried dealer and both bakes and ski dim they both are telling me that the part is not available through indmar that I have to get it from the parts store but the one at the parts store is not the correct psi. I don't see why indmar wouldn't offer it. If tried to contact them directly but can't seem to find a number for them only email

What is your engine serial number? I will look it for you.

Bean
05-11-2017, 11:27 AM
All I have is the hull id number. I'll look on the engine tonight and see what I can find

Engine Nut
05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Yeah same switch for V drive for some (Indmar S501013 Fuel Pump Safety Switch. This same part is also used on the Walters V-drive as a temperature switch.)

Any updates? Figure out what was going on?

The fuel pump safety switch and the v-drive switch work opposite of each other. The fuel pump switch is closed when the engine is running and there is oil pressure which allows the fuel pump to run. The v-drive switch opens when there is pressure and turns the warning light off. The fuel pump switch is P/N 501013 and is only used on carbureted engines. The Walter V-drive switch is P/N 903004S.

Engine Nut
05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Bean;306311]I've tried dealer and both bakes and ski dim they both are telling me that the part is not available through indmar that I have to get it from the parts store but the one at the parts store is not the correct psi. I don't see why indmar wouldn't offer it. If tried to contact them directly but can't seem to find a number for them only email
/QUOTE]

For some reason our parts people have not been able to acquire the fuel pressure regulator for the higher pressure (nominal 30 PSI) throttle body. I have sent customers to a company called Throttle Body Injection (www.throttlebodyinjection.com) for help. I would check them out.

Bean
05-11-2017, 08:41 PM
I've got everything on and it runs good on the hose I haven't made it in for a water test yet. Now I'm having high idle. Idling about 1600 or so

Bean
05-11-2017, 09:12 PM
If I unplug the tps it drops to 1000

Jceclipse01
05-11-2017, 09:42 PM
I have the same boat as you and had a problem that sounds very similar to yours after lots of trial and error on parts it was a bad connection where the fuel pump has the quick connect fitting right before the fuel pump. You could touching and moving around in make the boat rev up or even turn off. 30 psi is what I have on my boat

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk