PDA

View Full Version : Severe transom damage - 04 mobius XLV

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Hello all!

I am new to the fourm and just purchased a 2004 moomba mobius about 2 months ago.

Last weekend I was cruising down the river in Parker,AZ and heard a loud bang, the boat then took a HARD left and came to a stop, the motor stopped running. We weren't really sure what had happened and after trying to inspect everything with the boat in the water I attempted to turn over the engine, the motor would immediately shut off as soon as I put it in drive. After getting the boat to reverse a little bit I was able to put it in drive and slowly make my way back to the dock. The boat took on ALOT of water and barley made it back to the dock. There was also vibrations coming from the motor when we were heading back to the dock.

When we finally got the boat out of the water we saw how much damage there really was to the bottom of the boat. I have never seen anything like this. I'm assuming the boat is totaled? Working through insurance claim now. Has anyone ever seen fiberglass rip off of the transom like this???

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/f7b75d258400122cfa278c88f6774093.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/2674d0887735b29325ca2ab3e1d466f2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170428/5073b3e4f62d010777c14ff2f0e7e836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Moomba's version of quick fill ballast!
Man that's isn't good, hope your insurance process goes smoothly. I've never seen anything like this before, there's a first for everything.

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Moomba's version of quick fill ballast!
Man that's isn't good, hope your insurance process goes smoothly. I've never seen anything like this before, there's a first for everything.

It's a shame, I haven't even made the first payment yet. I have a feeling the insurance process isn't going to be a smooth as I'd like it to be. I believe they will only give me actual cash value so we'll see how that goes

5:00
04-28-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't see why that can't be repaired. Probably going to need some shaft and prop work as well. Hopefully the trans is ok. I hope it all works out.

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 11:52 AM
I don't see why that can't be repaired. Probably going to need some shaft and prop work as well. Hopefully the trans is ok. I hope it all works out.

There are stress cracks all over the left side of the boat now after this happened. The fiberglass rip goes from about mid way of the boat all the way to the rear only on the left side. If they could repair, that would be awesome but from the few people who have looked at it, think the boat is a total loss..

KG's Supra24
04-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Could it be the result of a previous repair?

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Could it be the result of a previous repair?

Could be.. since I have had the boat I have noticed that it took on more water than I thought was normal but when I purchased it, there didn't seem to be any obvious marks from repair or damage but then again I don't know much about fiberglass

5:00
04-28-2017, 12:28 PM
There are stress cracks all over the left side of the boat now after this happened. The fiberglass rip goes from about mid way of the boat all the way to the rear only on the left side. If they could repair, that would be awesome but from the few people who have looked at it, think the boat is a total loss..

Didn't look that long from the photo. I see it goes to the edge overhanging the bunk.

BrettLee3232
04-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Dang man that sucks, did you hit a rock? I know there's shallow parts in Parker (I boat in havasu). That sucks man

DFTR Josh
04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
It's a shame, I haven't even made the first payment yet. I have a feeling the insurance process isn't going to be a smooth as I'd like it to be. I believe they will only give me actual cash value so we'll see how that goes
Sold my MB to a guy in OR and it sat all winter to just get caught in a huge marina fire. I know he was struggling with the insurance on that one. He didn't even get to take it to the water :(

Matlock339
04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Who is your insurance with? I am curious as to how they handle the claim, if you don't mind updating us at important milestones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s281cheddar
04-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Damn. Glad to hear you at least made it off the water!!!

2016 Intense Green Moomba Helix
Fly High Ballast Bags (2,700LBS Total)

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Who is your insurance with? I am curious as to how they handle the claim, if you don't mind updating us at important milestones.

Yes definitely, insurance is through geico. They should be looking at the boat today to figure out what the next step is and will keep this post updated.

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Damn. Glad to hear you at least made it off the water!!!

2016 Intense Green Moomba Helix
Fly High Ballast Bags (2,700LBS Total)

I know right! I was definitely worried we wouldn't make it back. Ended up having to swim the boat to the trailer due to steering failure, maybe from all the water in the boat?

98outback
04-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Can they run the vin number on a boat like a car to see if it has had repairs under insurance claims? I would be curious to know and if it did will your insurance company cover it.

kaneboats
04-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Horrific damage but no injuries? Process to get settled might not be as bad as you think. You may have a trailer for sale though.

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Horrific damage but no injuries? Process to get settled might not be as bad as you think. You may have a trailer for sale though.

Everyone was safe thankfully, no one got tossed out of the boat.

The problem is I know I owe more than what the insurance company will give me if it's a total loss, leaving me with debt and no boat... well maybe a trailer [emoji28]

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Can they run the vin number on a boat like a car to see if it has had repairs under insurance claims? I would be curious to know and if it did will your insurance company cover it.

I'm not sure, that's worth checking into for sure!

icemanftr
04-28-2017, 08:14 PM
[emoji22] Sad day for sure. Hope it works out for you and glad no one got hurt.

Ksetzke39
04-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Insurance is only wanting to pay 21,600 for the boat. My total loan is 29,500. So basically I will be stuck with the 8k in payments and a boat trailer.

BrettLee3232
04-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Insurance is only wanting to pay 21,600 for the boat. My total loan is 29,500. So basically I will be stuck with the 8k in payments and a boat trailer.

Dang man that sucks for sure. Makes me wonder if they have gap insurance on boats

Matlock339
04-28-2017, 11:57 PM

Wow. I guess you have an actual value policy vs. an agreed value policy? Did you get a price to fix it? That may be your only route, don't let them force your decision. You can fight that value plus you can sell the trailer or just get it fixed by somebody good and keep the boat.

Ksetzke39
04-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Wow. I guess you have an actual value policy vs. an agreed value policy? Did you get a price to fix it? That may be your only route, don't let them force your decision. You can fight that value plus you can sell the trailer or just get it fixed by somebody good and keep the boat.

Does anyone know if the "actual cash value" with insurance is the value of the boat with the damages or the value of the boat if it didn't have the damages?

They are offering 21k but the boat average selling price on NADA is at least 25k

Matlock339
04-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Never take their first offer. It is always low. The value is whatever the boat was, the moment before it was damaged. Start compiling the evidence you're finding about the value, you could even get who ever you bought it from to write a letter and state the value is $29,500, the more written evidence you have and can send to them, the better.

Keep in mind that these adjusters have an incentive and are trained to save the company money, so if you're claim is work $25k and they settle it for $21k, they just saved the company $4k. The value of that boat is gonna peak in the next few weeks b/c it is summer, so, if it had to happen, now's the time vs. the winter.

Ksetzke39
04-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Never take their first offer. It is always low. The value is whatever the boat was, the moment before it was damaged. Start compiling the evidence you're finding about the value, you could even get who ever you bought it from to write a letter and state the value is $29,500, the more written evidence you have and can send to them, the better.

Keep in mind that these adjusters have an incentive and are trained to save the company money, so if you're claim is work $25k and they settle it for $21k, they just saved the company $4k. The value of that boat is gonna peak in the next few weeks b/c it is summer, so, if it had to happen, now's the time vs. the winter.

Thank you! I will definitely fight this, and I hope that there's another moomba out there for me, I really enjoyed the boat up until that point [emoji1360]

Matlock339
04-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Get some good repair estimates, you might get it fixed easier than you'd think. Don't forget, you CAN get the Ins. Co. to total the boat, pay you your value of the boat (for conversation, let's just say $25k here) then buy the boat back from them, and then have it repaired on your own, after you buy it back.

So, for example, here, let's say they pay you $25k, you then buy the boat back from the Ins. Co. for $7k, then you spend $10k getting it fixed, you are good, because you get to keep the difference. Yes you have a boat with a "totaled" claim against it's VIN but you can take the extra money and pay down the loan and use it and enjoy it. Just a thought. Those are just guesses though, it could be better than that, say they sell you the boat back for $4k and it only takes $7k to fix it...

I'd try to have it fixed with an insurance claim. Sometimes it's much cheaper to have it fixed than you'd think, especially if you can find somebody good and tell them you're paying cash. Don't make any quick moves. Research and take your time. Check the policy to make sure it's not a "replacement" cost policy too. READ your policy, don't just assume. BTW, a replacement cost would require them to buy you a "replacement" model as close to identical to your model.

mmandley
04-29-2017, 09:46 AM
To me it looks like someone already damaged the bottom then did a cheap half ass repair and sold the boat as is.

Looking at the White and Black meeting lines, thats not how it normally looks.

98outback
04-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Good catch. The gel coat does not look right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/5f0f0f9b4114bf9b3eabfcb78df71961.jpg

Ksetzke39
04-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Good catch. The gel coat does not look right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/5f0f0f9b4114bf9b3eabfcb78df71961.jpg

I never even noticed that, I wonder if the dealership saw that when they went through it [emoji848]

98outback
05-16-2017, 02:42 PM
So what was the outcome?

moombadaze
05-16-2017, 03:00 PM
wow, just wow. I got to agree with some of the above post's in that it looks like a prior crappy repair, the gel colors and the way it separated at the end just looks wrong

jmvotto
05-16-2017, 03:09 PM
was it a private or dealer sale and could it have come from a bad repair . do boat sales check VIN for major repairs. i would be looking at the seller and recourse there from non disclosure of major work.

also a 2005 xlv is listed for 33,000 only inboards ( share with Geico)
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Moomba-XLV-for-sale-Canby-Oregon-64378.aspx

Good luck

trayson
05-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Sold my MB to a guy in OR and it sat all winter to just get caught in a huge marina fire. I know he was struggling with the insurance on that one. He didn't even get to take it to the water :(

I have a couple friends that lost their boats in that fire. One made out like a bandit and got more from insurance than he could have ever sold his boat for.

Dang man that sucks for sure. Makes me wonder if they have gap insurance on boats

Many carriers offer the option to insure the boat for a "stated value". I got a great deal on my XLV, and I insured it for what it's "worth" not what it cost. Premiums go up of course, but it's just insuring a specific dollar amount. Good piece of mind.

mmandley
05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
When I originally boat my MOJO insurance required GAP. After 2 years I went to stated value.

I just refinanced it for a lower rate, and I am well into the green as the boat is half paid for already. I still have agreed Value on the boat and my new bank said if the boat wasn't paid down so much they require Gap insurance.

socalblaise
05-22-2017, 11:37 PM
just curious of the out come with your insurance company. I have a 2007 xlv up in havasu that some one just stole the swim platform off of, so if they where going to total it I would make you an offer on yours. just a thought

kaneboats
05-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Is your boat insured? You might consider a theft claim for the platform.

socalblaise
05-23-2017, 10:16 PM
yes but the money is not the issue really skiers choice dosent even know if the mold is still available I been waiting a while know to see if they can even get me an oem step they gave me the number to a place in az that custom makes them so I'm trying to find original first.

jmvotto
05-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Have them put on he claim money toward the surf platform currently in production