PDA

View Full Version : What prop do I have? Repair candidate?

Darter
04-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Took my prop off to have it balanced and the edges cleaned up. The online literature for this boat says it should be a 13x13 4 blade, which the end of hub stamp says.

But there's another stamp along the side of the hub that says "OJ 1203".

When I look at the OJ site, this indicates a 12x13. Is this just a date code? That's roughly around the build date of my boat, so that would make sense.

Also, when do you guys typically get your props refinished? Do you wait until there's vibration, or whenever there's a nick in it? Mine just has a few half-pea sized nicks on a few of the blades. I'm not sure on vibration, as we don't have another boat to compare to (and the prop hasn't changed condition much since we bought the boat a year ago).

This first blade is the worst, with the deflection along the edge.

Darter
04-25-2017, 11:00 AM
4th blade...

kaneboats
04-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Took my prop off to have it balanced and the edges cleaned up. The online literature for this boat says it should be a 13x13 4 blade, which the end of hub stamp says.

But there's another stamp along the side of the hub that says "OJ 1203".

When I look at the OJ site, this indicates a 12x13. Is this just a date code? That's roughly around the build date of my boat, so that would make sense.

Also, when do you guys typically get your props refinished? Do you wait until there's vibration, or whenever there's a nick in it? Mine just has a few half-pea sized nicks on a few of the blades.

I'd send it in by the time it got in the condition yours is showing. Vibration is probably not too bad but getting it fixed and balanced will save wear on engine, transmission, v-drive (not you), strut bearing, etc.

It's pretty cheap to repair and rebalance in the present condition. Also, they can tell you the size and pitch. Yours might have started out as one size/pitch and been changed during a prior repair. The shop can tell you exactly what you have.

Darter
05-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. Got the prop back today and it looks great.

How much should I have expected to pay in this condition? OJ quoted me (without seeing it) $100-175. The local shop quoted me $115, but when it came back said he accidentally quoted me for a 3-blade instead of 4. The 4 blade cost would've been $180, but he honored the original quote. Is $180 typical for a prop in the condition mine was in, or should I have just sent it to OJ?

kaneboats
05-05-2017, 03:15 PM
I think I paid $125 plus shipping each way for mine. But, I haven't had a repair in about 4 years (knock on teak wood).

Darter
05-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Yeah, we generally drive in clear water with a sandy bottom, but there's always the chance of that overturned dropped ski with the black bottom on a cloudy day that *somebody* drives right over while looking for it.

Sounds like the shop I used was on the high end of the ballpark. I might send it to OJ next time just to compare.

Stazi
05-05-2017, 07:41 PM
ACME props repairs any prop too they're in MI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk