PDA

View Full Version : Removing Decals

execoll
04-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Whats the best way to remove decals from the hull. I posted a thread asking about removing the registration numbers because I haven't updated them yet (yea I'm evil, I Know) but it seems to have been eaten. aka playing on internet at work and probably switched out before submitting. Anyway whats the best way to remove decals/numbers without damaging the gel coat?

Thanks

IronmanCowboy
04-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Whats the best way to remove decals from the hull. I posted a thread asking about removing the registration numbers because I haven't updated them yet (yea I'm evil, I Know) but it seems to have been eaten. aka playing on internet at work and probably switched out before submitting. Anyway whats the best way to remove decals/numbers without damaging the gel coat?

Thanks
WD-40

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jelmhorst
04-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Blow dryer or heat gun on low and enough of a fingernail to get it going. Any leftover adhesive will need goo gone and rags. Take your time with it, otherwise you'll end up needing more of it to clean up what's left behind.

sivs1
04-24-2017, 01:02 PM
careful using paper towels, they could actually scratch the gel coat.

jmvotto
04-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Blow dryer or heat gun on low and enough of a fingernail to get it going. Any leftover adhesive will need goo gone and rags. Take your time with it, otherwise you'll end up needing more of it to clean up what's left behind.

x2 I used a small plastic putty knife goof off on sham wow....

Ed_Geary
04-24-2017, 03:28 PM
I took all the decals off my 09 Outback V using just a heat gun.

Get 'em hot and they pretty much zip right off - especially the side that has been sitting in the sun for a while.

The big "Moomba" logo sticker on the hull side in the shade came off in a thousand pieces.

tnbrooks01
04-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Heat then wd-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT_48170
04-25-2017, 06:46 AM
I did most of the hull logos on a 2011 LSV, I used a heat gun and small plastic scraper to get the peeling process started then just heat, goo gone to clean up the residue. Probably a good chance you'll have some fading around the numbers so you might want to prepare yourself that you may have to buff the hull if you're not recovering the same area.

execoll
04-25-2017, 08:19 AM
thanks all, it's nice to have somewhere that a stupid question can be asked and get actual answers rather than a beat down for what others consider common knowledge.

jmvotto
04-25-2017, 11:03 AM
thanks all, it's nice to have somewhere that a stupid question can be asked and get actual answers rather than a beat down for what others consider common knowledge.

nah this is a good crew over here, wakeworld another story.....

kaneboats
04-25-2017, 12:09 PM
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people-- and they don't have Moombas. :cool:

5:00
04-25-2017, 01:34 PM
I just stripped the whole thing. 10 years old and came off without too much trouble except for the registration stickers that have only been on for three years. It is just a bit oxidized :cool:.

I used a heat gun and did about 10 inches at a time. Heat the corner you are going to pick up with your fingernail first then heat the rest but not too much. This gives time for the part you are going to lift time to cool a bit. Pull and repeat. I hit the residue with Goo Gone but there wasn't much of it. Now for a complete compounding and polish. New lettering from domednumbers.com will be on the way.
I have also seen people recommending the eraser wheels for the left over adhesive but I didn't need it.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/IMG_5459.jpg