PDA

View Full Version : LED strip install guidance

stx.dead.I
04-22-2017, 10:35 PM
I am planning on getting about 15 ft of LED stripping for some accessory lighting on my boat. I am planning on wiring them into an Accessory light switch but not sure how yall would recc I do it. I am thinking just connect them all in series to eachother while running wire from strip to strip around the boat then connecting the end of the strip to one of the switches.

What clip do I need to connect to the switch? I would just look but dont have the boat with me and would like to purchase everything together.

MLA
04-22-2017, 10:56 PM
parallel, not series.

stx.dead.I
04-22-2017, 11:16 PM
parallel, not series.
Yes my bad on that one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PuraVida
04-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Depending on the year of your boat you may have a butt splice pre wired in your boat. My '16 has a positive and negative wire coming out of the Acc switch, just crimp and go. Side note, it was also pre wired for a couple underwater lights with a set of wires above the transom drain. Made the install much simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
04-24-2017, 10:43 AM
It all depends on what your end goal is. I have 17 cup holders on my SA that I wired LED strips to each. I wanted them on a switch but did not want wires running all over. My SA has LED lights already throughout so I just tied into those lights. The longest wire I ran was less than 3 feet. LED's pull so little power there should not be a fear of overloading the circuit. I have not yet added lights to the two cup holders near the swim platform as those will take a bit more wire and tighter quarters to route the wires. I'll post up pictures eventually.

stx.dead.I
04-24-2017, 11:04 AM
It all depends on what your end goal is. I have 17 cup holders on my SA that I wired LED strips to each. I wanted them on a switch but did not want wires running all over. My SA has LED lights already throughout so I just tied into those lights. The longest wire I ran was less than 3 feet. LED's pull so little power there should not be a fear of overloading the circuit. I have not yet added lights to the two cup holders near the swim platform as those will take a bit more wire and tighter quarters to route the wires. I'll post up pictures eventually.
Ya I didn't think of wiring into the nav lights it's an 03 so it doesn't have any leds accented lighting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk