PDA

View Full Version : 5 Year Old ready to "ski"

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Earlier this summer my 5 year old daughter and i went "surf boarding" behind our boat. The "surf board" is basically a 3'x7' 3/4 inch plywood with a rounded front end and fins below. The board is connected to a tow line directly to the boat. You stand up and hold on to a fixed rope for stability. This "surfboard" has towed 4 generations of skiers.

The "surf board" is large enough for Dad to manage stability and my daughter to just sit while we are stationary in the water. Once the boat is under power i just remained seated in the back of the surfboard and she stood up. Once she was comfortable i slid off the back. The boat was probably going 6-9 miles an hour. SHE LOVED IT!!!

Last night I purchased a similar tow behind. The blu N bayou ski and sled.

http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=202

Have any of you used this product? Do you have any suggestions or tips?

MD IN ND
MOOMBA OUTBACK V = BOOT MUM OV'A BACK

smokedog2
08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I have always used beach starts with those. Kids, just in the water, standing. pref a deap drop off with an adult on shore working rope management. SLOW - like you said 9 MPH or so. too fast take off and the ski shoots out from under them.

SD2

Swairlines
08-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ABUCKOTOMAMBO
Earlier this summer my 5 year old daughter and i went "surf boarding" behind our boat. The "surf board" is basically a 3'x7' 3/4 inch plywood with a rounded front end and fins below. The board is connected to a tow line directly to the boat. You stand up and hold on to a fixed rope for stability. This "surfboard" has towed 4 generations of skiers.

The "surf board" is large enough for Dad to manage stability and my daughter to just sit while we are stationary in the water. Once the boat is under power i just remained seated in the back of the surfboard and she stood up. Once she was comfortable i slid off the back. The boat was probably going 6-9 miles an hour. SHE LOVED IT!!!

Last night I purchased a similar tow behind. The blu N bayou ski and sled.

http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=202

Have any of you used this product? Do you have any suggestions or tips?

MD IN ND

I'm in Tampa, FL where we swim with the gators. Here's what I do when my 6yo son rides his Ski-Skimmer (same product as the Blu N Bayou ski). My son and I jump in the water (yes, both of us have vests on). I get Camden all set up while I steady the Ski Skimmer from the back. I just hold onto the two "skis" at the end. When Camden is ready I tell the driver to take up the slack and then to slowly tow Camden and me. There's a lot of drag when I'm holding onto the Ski-Skimmer but once Camden is steady and planed out I let him go. It's kinda funny to watch because when I let go of the Ski-Skimmer Camden nearly launches out of the water.

I havent tried the beach start because Lake Tarpon doesnt have a public beach.

Jeff

Ps Talking about swimming with the gators.....GUESS WHAT'S GOING THROUGH MY HEAD WHEN I'M JUST BOBBING IN THE WATER LIKE A PIECE OF GATORBAIT? YUP, I GUESS I'M KINDA PARANOID BUT I'M THINKING SOMETHING NIBBLING MY TOES (OR MORE)......Maybe I shouldnt stay in the water like that when Camden is skiing....

gotmyboat
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Swairlines -

Why the gun on the boat? Do you have problems with pirates? I would hate to think of people carrying guns on board. With as many rude or stupid boaters that I deal with on a weekly basis, someone would end up dead from water-rage.

Keep it safe!

Dave :p

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow. What a morbid turn this thread took. Anyway, we are on vacation this week! No worry of Gators in the Northwoods of Minnesota.

Here is our progress with our ski sled:

Sunday I watered the grass then placed the ski skimmer on the ground. I had my daughter ride on the grass for a while as I pulled her around. I though that would be a good lesson in stability.

Yesterday we were on the lake and we did a deep water start. First time, I don't know why but she would not stand up. She was getting blasted with water. I had rigged the rope with a ski handle in the boat for someone to hold instead of attaching it to the boat. We just let to because she didn't. When we pulled around I said stand up next time. By the time we were situated she was ready and nearly standing in the water. I gently eased into accelleration and she was up. What a moment! I was so proud I thought my heart would explode with joy.

When I download photos from my camera I'll try to post one.

MD in MN

Swairlines
08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
ABUCKOTOMAMBO,

Here's a pic of my son (who was 5 at the time...Spring of 05) Ski-Skimming.

I used to sit on the rear locker and have him in the Ski-Skimmer and then ease him off fiberglass platform while Michelle was slowly driving. Once the tails of the Ski-Skimmer were off the platform I'd have to tell Michelle to speed up so Cam would start planing. Then I would just let out enough rope to have him skimming just behind the wake of the boat.

Jeff

ps Ed, You're STRANGE!!!...Interesting but STRANGE....That's a great story.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Ed.

I am sitting in an internet cafe in Park Rapids MN just read your message and almost sprayed coffee on my lap top.

Coffee break is over. I'm headin back to the lake.......

MD in MN

MOOMBA OUTBACK = BOAT BOOM AMUCK

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-08-2006, 11:13 AM
SW AIR

Thanks for the photo!

MD in MN

YellowMoomba0
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Perhaps you could compramise by packing heat in the form of a painball gun for say, just in case the jet skiiers get too close while kids are learning.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Yellow - I like the way you think. -Did you just invent a new sport???

YellowMoomba0
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks man, but Im struggling to keep up with Ed. That guy is like the JoeTechie of abstract and whit.