PDA

View Full Version : Surf pattern on the lake

ghebert1111
04-15-2017, 12:25 AM
I guess it's a little late for me to be asking this question but is there a "correct way" to surf around the lake. After viewing the NASCAR Ned video on youtube I had to ask for some input.

My lake is Lewis Smith lake in AL and I can surf for a mile and not have to turn around so here is what we have done the past 2 summers: We find a spot with no houses stop and fill up the ballast, get a surfer in the water and start surfing closest to the right side of the lake based on whatever direction we are going. We try to stay a good distance from the docks and we just keep on going till we need to change riders. Eventually we turn around and head back the other way on the other side of the lake. This means that the wake is on the port side of the boar away from the shore 90% of the time unless my wife is riding goofy. This means we may pass a house 2 times on the right an 2 times on the left over the course of a day.

Sometimes if there is not a lot of boat traffic, we do the NASCAR Ned thing in an area where there are no houses, I guess this is a no-no? if this is the case and we want to surf this area, do we surf down the middle of the channel and then turn and return down the middle of the channel?

I hope I haven't been being an a-hole but better to find out now and correct it than stay silent.

tnbrooks01
04-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Just pick a shore line, make the straightest line possible and for the love of God, please no power turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darter
04-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Sounds like you're already doing a good job of minimizing your presence in any one spot. Staying your course and moving on is about the best thing you can do.

sivs1
04-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Your best bet is just go to the middle of the lake and make a circle.... LOL that's actually how we have to surf behind my buddies DD, but there are no houses and no docks on our lake.

In my SA we find an area that is not busy, usually the shore line near the dam and start at one end, surf and typically make a large "L" shape along the shore and head back the same line we just followed. Goal is to stay away from other boaters.

Ed_Geary
04-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Lakes in Central Florida are pretty shallow (avg = 6 - 8 feet), so I just go where I know there are deep channels.

If I were on a deep water lake, I would surf the perimeter in order to give the surfer the longest ride possible without turns.