PDA

View Full Version : New craz misfire codes

Dan
04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Getting misfire codes on 1,5, and 6 cylinder. Some codes are even saying damaging misfire. I have listen to the motor and can feel it running just fine. No hiccups or anything. Was wondering if anyone else is getting these codes?

BrokeGuy
04-10-2017, 03:07 PM
I would imagine, it would be difficult to feel a misfire on the water. Unless it's a dead hole.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

flydad1
04-10-2017, 03:32 PM
One thing that you could check is to make sure your spark plug wires aren't being crushed by the engine side panels when the rear water ballast bags are full. I installed some wake makers panel stiffeners on my engine side panels to help reduce the amount of flex. They would bend and hit the engine valve covers before I added the stiffeners. This is just idea of something to check. My boat never had a misfire problem.

Dan
04-10-2017, 04:25 PM
I am getting the code during these few hours I have put on the boat with out filling any ballast. I was wondering if the fuel I used could be causing it. I used 91oct with no ethanol. Dealer said he had a mondo do it the weekend before and that SC told him some motors were doing that during break in. I have payed close attention to the oil pressure and motor temp. Both were in the acceptable range.

mattsask
04-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Why would the fuel be causing it? Isn't the raptor minimum 89 octane?

Dan
04-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Why would the fuel be causing it? Isn't the raptor minimum 89 octane?

Just looking at everything and anything that could cause it.

RC_Hinojosa
04-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Mine threw a CEL and O2 sensor codes on Friday....first time taking it in the water. My dealer cleared the codes, put it in the tank and everything supposedly ran fine. I'm a little disconcerted at what is seemingly many new '17s throwing codes right out of the gate...these toys are too expensive for this kind of BS. :mad:

smorris7
04-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Mine threw a CEL and O2 sensor codes on Friday....first time taking it in the water. My dealer cleared the codes, put it in the tank and everything supposedly ran fine. I'm a little disconcerted at what is seemingly many new '17s throwing codes right out of the gate...these toys are too expensive for this kind of BS. :mad:

I have been told by the dealer that the Raptors do not like prolonged idle. It will throw o2 codes. Apparently they build up moisture at idol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Apparently they build up moisture at idol.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/idol.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/idol.jpg.html)

corvette8189
04-11-2017, 02:48 PM

I agree code on my 17 mojo too- high voltage

Dan
04-11-2017, 03:26 PM

I too am disconcerted at the codes for something that cost this much. Hopefully when I go to get my 10hr service done it will be an easy simple fix for the dealer.

Catman
04-11-2017, 08:12 PM
I have a 16 never had that issue and do plenty of idling did have problems with my wake plate not working and my screen going blank

Connolly_Crew
04-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Just looking at everything and anything that could cause it.

Usually bad gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyman
06-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Hey Dan what ever came of your boat throwing those codes? Mine is doing the exact same thing on same cylinders. Started doing it the very first ten minutes I put brand new Boat in the water. Cel goes away with a battery reset. Dealer said they would clear it once I brought it back for the 20hr. They didn’t seem too concerned. I agree with everyone spend this kind of money and would expect absolutely no issues. I know anything mechanical and electrical has the potential but made me want to punch myself in the face when it was the first ten minutes on the water.

mikepo26
06-06-2018, 09:26 PM
I was a ford mechanic many years ago and i know ford had issues with ign coils on the triton engines. I think they are the same type of coils. And as for not idleing well?? Boats are made to do that. Maybe pm engineNUT he works at indmar SUPER GREAT GUY AND HELPFUL

Catman
06-06-2018, 09:48 PM
I have a 16 craz 180 hrs over all been pretty good can’t really complain

Tyman
06-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Anyone heard of a service bulliten about having problems with a short run of raptor motors having metal heat shields. Something about the can cause codes to be thrown because arch’s off from spark plug wire to the engine block? Called one dealer and they explained just remove the heat shield, guy explained he had gone to sc for training and they stated to check every boat they get and remove the spark plug heat shield if they find any. That dealer said they had seen three motors with them out of 20. They were very detailed. Than another dealer told me have heard of no such things and not to remove them if I have them as I could void my warranty?????

Engine Nut
06-07-2018, 10:21 AM
If you have a Raptor engine that has metal shields on the spark plug wires, the metal shields should be removed. In some cases the shields prevented the spark plug wires from seating properly on the spark plugs. The shields are needed in automotive use because the exhaust manifolds in an automotive application are hot. Marine exhaust manifolds are water cooled.

Tyman
06-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Thank you engine nut. I was able to contact Indmar and they confirmed what you explained. Indmar indicated that they have had many issues with the heat shield on the spark plug boot and I was told to remove them. The Indmar tech I spoke with stated that they have not put out a service bulliten but that they need to be removed. So I called sc to ask if they have heard this. They indicated that they had not and that they don’t put out service bullitens on the motor as that warranty lies directly with Indmar. My question here is this is a major disconnect. Branding enormous to the success of a company. If I were sc and a customer to Indmar it would be a priority to solve that problem. All it takes is one shopper saying I’m not going to buy boat Y because I here they have X problem. Rant over and just my .02 I understand anything mechanical and electrical has the ability to have malfunctions and design flaws and all boat manufacturers see there fair share of grimlins.

Dan
06-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Hey Dan what ever came of your boat throwing those codes? Mine is doing the exact same thing on same cylinders. Started doing it the very first ten minutes I put brand new Boat in the water. Cel goes away with a battery reset. Dealer said they would clear it once I brought it back for the 20hr. They didn’t seem too concerned. I agree with everyone spend this kind of money and would expect absolutely no issues. I know anything mechanical and electrical has the potential but made me want to punch myself in the face when it was the first ten minutes on the water.

Loose spark plug wires was the reason. Also while the dealer had it, he replaced some sensor for the exhaust.

mikepo26
06-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Larry is the man btw

SoHo3
07-04-2020, 06:56 PM
So my 17 craz threw the 301 code today. I noticed it done it twice
Both times after I had both ballasts full in the rear and emptied them. Could they be pressing against that #1 plug wire causing more pressure then once drained release pressure and cause the #1 cyclinder misfire code? Just a guess, I do have the wakemakers 1140s upgrade bags and the reinforcements for the walls and they sell. Once I rest the batteries after the tanks were drained it would never come back, but it didn’t throw it while the tanks were full surfing and it didn’t seem to miss a beat? Engine sounded good when code was on, anyone with any insight or experience?
Thanks

Patws6
08-04-2020, 11:13 PM
Loose spark plug wires was the reason. Also while the dealer had it, he replaced some sensor for the exhaust.

Dan what exactly was it that caused this? Do you happen to know what sensor?
Thanks!