PDA

View Full Version : Raw water impeller replacement first time

bjrow
04-06-2017, 03:44 AM
Hey guys, well the season down here draws to a close so sad faces all round. Hope to read some posts of you all out and about enjoying the Summer over the next few months or more.

I'm about to have a go for the first time ever at replacing the raw water impeller and thanks to this forum have impeller and puller to hand ready to go.
Just need assistance regarding the x4 screws on the cover plate, how tight do you need to do them and does one put some thread lock on them?
When removing the plate if the gasket tears/sticks how do you go about removing from each surface prior to fitment of the new one?
Is the preference to use a hex socket wrench?

The impeller has been in for 2.5yrs so expecting it to be a bit stiff to remove but the removal tool should do the job if I can squeeze it in there and not remove the skin on my knuckles.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS

kaneboats
04-06-2017, 11:08 AM
There is nothing to it. Yes, use a hex head socket to pull the screws. The gasket should come with it quite easily. I have not known them to stick much. Your puller should get it easily but, if not, bump the engine with the starter and it should come loose (don't start the engine though). I have never used locktite on the threads when putting the screws back in but some do. Do not overtighten them as they are pretty wimpy. Just enough to crush in the new gasket and so they won't vibrate out. Check them after 5-6 hours in your new year. BTW, I would wait to change the impeller until you are ready to start boating again. No sense letting the new one sit in there all winter. Just replace it in the spring.

bjrow
04-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Thanks Kaneboats for the heads up and clarification wrt my queries.
Maybe I'll put a tiny bit of threadlock 222 Loctite on the screw threads and just do up till I see the gasket compress then leave at that. I can be over zealous at times doing things up tight so I'll take your comments onboard wrt the screws being soft.
I ended up getting the puller (bit of a rip off here in AUS) but figure I can have the job done without too much hassle having never done it before.
Slowly growing a collection of boat related tools......
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS

Woody929
04-06-2017, 08:25 PM
I've never used any thread locker, just tighten it up all the way, but don't over tighten since the screws are brass

bjrow
04-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys for the help, went real easy.
The puller made easy work getting the old one out and getting the new one in was OK using the cable tie trick Trayson mentioned.
Wife didn't like the fact that the black paint came of in places......left her with that putting black paint on!
The new gasket compressed a bit, did it all tight using fingers, then the fingers and socket, finally the socket wrench just 1/2 a turn. All seemed OK.
Will be testing next week so hope all goes well, we plug in the hose and run as a pre-check before heading off to the lake.
The old impeller vanes while not cracked were quite a bit stiffer than the new one's, reckon the old one is 3yrs old, original 2014.
Feel happier now:D
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.

trayson
04-09-2017, 05:17 PM
perfect. nice job man!

bjrow
04-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Thanks to the forum members for your help.
Looking forward to all your pics while we endure the looming Winter......
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.

bjrow
04-17-2017, 09:33 PM
All ran fine over the weekend, probably a lot of worry for nothing but hey always scary trying something for the first time on the boat.
Now Winterized and put to sleep for the oncoming Winter. Look forward to your pics, have fun.
Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.