PDA

View Full Version : 2007 LSV Vapor Lock?

Patrick Sedlak
04-04-2017, 11:36 PM
On lake Norris TN today, temps in the high 70, ran boat most of day, let boat sit for 45 minutes, tried to start back up & ran very rough...coughing etc, shut it off, opened engine compartment for an hour, came back, started right up & ran fine. Could this be vapor lock? Any suggested fixes. Just bought the boat a few weeks ago, other than this issue it runs great! Thanks Pat

parrothd
04-05-2017, 09:20 AM
On lake Norris TN today, temps in the high 70, ran boat most of day, let boat sit for 45 minutes, tried to start back up & ran very rough...coughing etc, shut it off, opened engine compartment for an hour, came back, started right up & ran fine. Could this be vapor lock? Any suggested fixes. Just bought the boat a few weeks ago, other than this issue it runs great! Thanks Pat

Probably, are you running cheap gas with ethanol? That's a no no..

moombahighrider
04-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Definately vapor lock. All you need to do is keep an empty water bottle on the boat. Fill it with lake water and pour on fuel pump. I do that twice and I'm good to go.

If I know I'm going to be sitting for a while, I will let the fan run for quite a while and even open up the engine hatch to let the heat escape, if it's not too inconvenient.

sivs1
04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Definately vapor lock. All you need to do is keep an empty water bottle on the boat. Fill it with lake water and pour on fuel pump. I do that twice and I'm good to go.

If I know I'm going to be sitting for a while, I will let the fan run for quite a while and even open up the engine hatch to let the heat escape, if it's not too inconvenient.

Fans are cheap, we would run the fan from the time we launched to the time we loaded. Also, found this really helped on my 06 LSV, the fuel pump and oil lines were touching each other. took zip ties and pulled the oil lines away from the fuel pump, even that 1/2 inch space helped.

kaneboats
04-05-2017, 10:33 AM
You might still have some of last year's fuel too. A few new tanks and it might get a lot better. Some stabil might help.

patrick232
04-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Could be old gas + heat that lead to vapor lock. On our 06 LSV and 07 XLV we had to run the blower to keep it from happening. We used to get it once a season on Norris as I'm head headed. It was usually when we would run a long distance then dock or drop anchor. We have done the water bottle or when pulling into the no wake for the marinas flip the blower on. What part of Norris are you on? We are on the north side by the cedar creek bridge (aka jump bridge)

BigOrange
04-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Happened to my buddy as well on his 2007 LSV. I think he remedied the problem for good by getting some type of insulating / heat reflecting tape or wrap on the fuel line.

MJHSupra
04-05-2017, 01:51 PM
There are some thread on here and on the Supra site about installing a different fuel pump. Common issue. I used a water bottle to get moving again.
It happened to me 3 years ago and I stopped using Eth Gas. No locking. Plus, I keep the blower on when pulling people or surfing.

I would follow the advise of running 1-2 tanks of fuel thru it. Then swap out the fuel filter.

996scott
04-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Vapor lock for sure, I get it all the time on my 07 LSV. Like what was said above, use a cold bottle of water on the fuel pump and you are good to go. I tried heat shield and didn't help at all. I added a 2nd fan at the end of last year and have not tried it out yet but hope it will help a little. It's an inconvienence to have to dump water on the fuel pump but it just take a second or two.

Patrick Sedlak
04-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. This was our first trip with our Moomba, just bought it. Can u shoot a picture of the fuel pump. Think I located it, it is a round calendar right?

moombahighrider
04-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Don't have a picture but you are right. It is on the starboard side of the motor at the corner towards the bow. There are two cylindrical units close to each other (back to back fuel pumps) and plumbed to each other and then into the motor. The oil filter is also cylindrical and mounted above the fuel pumps, towards the top of the motor. Find the oil filter and look directly below it for the fuel pumps.

JHutch
04-06-2017, 11:19 AM
My boat is an 08. It has two fuel pump right beside each other. I am in the process of relocating the low pressure pump to the V-Drive area right by fuel tank hoping this will solve my issue. These low pressure pumps are designed to push fuel and not really suck fuel over a distance. It was recommended that it should be placed "Before" the fuel filter.

moombahighrider
04-06-2017, 11:25 AM
My boat is an 08. It has two fuel pump right beside each other. I am in the process of relocating the low pressure pump to the V-Drive area right by fuel tank hoping this will solve my issue. These low pressure pumps are designed to push fuel and not really suck fuel over a distance. It was recommended that it should be placed "Before" the fuel filter.

Let us know how this goes. I have wondered about this as well. I think someone else has tried this and it didn't help, but that is a foggy memory- I could be wrong. I know in the newer boats, the factory moved the fuel pump into the fuel tank and submerged it. This keeps the line and pump cool and doesn't allow the vapor bubble to form from the heat sink effect.

JHutch
04-07-2017, 12:03 AM
That is essentially what I hope will happen by moving the pump. Those Carter pumps are designed to push more than vacuum. I am hoping even if it still boils in the line by the high pressure the pump will push fuel to it.

Patrick Sedlak
04-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Not sure what part of the lake we were on. It the house was over the top, great boat house to dock our boat. Water was cold, about 60 degrees, but we all got in with wet suite on. Weather was in the high 70's, not bad for Spring Break!

detipton
04-08-2017, 12:10 AM
I had this same problem living in AZ. I found the oil hose rubbing against the fuel pump causing the fuel to vaporize. I zipped tied the hose away from the fuel pump and the problem went away. Take a look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
04-08-2017, 01:38 AM
It's a good day when a zip-tie fixes the issue.