PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank size on 05 XLV

janderson37
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 05 GG XLV and I have been having the strangest issues with my gas tank.

When I fill up my gas tank I can put in a max of 26/27 gallons, and the gas gauge reports that it is full. I can tell its full because it will bubble up the gas fill. I pretty much figured I had a 26 gallon tank and that was it, but now I see on the 06 XLV it has 40 gallons tank. So now I am wondering if I have a 40 gallon tank and the gas gauge is reporting it as empty when it is actually half full????

Can anyone tell me what the actual tank size is for sure?

Smrtz
08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Gas gauge's are notoriously horrible for showing the actual amount of gas that is in your tank. Mine does the same thing on my 05 outback says it is empty but its 1/2 full. Ive seen numerous posts about this issue. The easy thing to do is to keep track based on the # of hours you have been running rather than the gauge.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

scoot_gt
08-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Owners Manual lists the 05 XLV as having a 40 gallon tank.

http://www.moomba.com/owner_manuals/05_Moomba_Manual.pdf

YellowMoomba0
08-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Same problem, I have thought about getting the sending unit replaced with the ones PCM uses or a different one from www.skidim.com. Its been on my list but not a priority.

lowdrag
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
It's typical for these boats to read empty and still have a decent amount of fuel left in the tank. My 40 gallon tank usually reads empty on the guage with about 10 gallons left. I'm not sure how much of this is because of how difficult it is to get a sending unit to read accurately with the fuel sloshing around the way it does in a boat. On the other hand I can imagine that a some of this is engineered into the system to provide some reserve fuel capacity to keep you from running dry on the lake. Not sure how true this is or not, but I've also heard people claim that it's not a good idea to run your fuel down to less than a quarter tank because it strains the fuel pump more. Maybe that's some of the reason they read the way they do as well.