PDA

View Full Version : How many batteries do you run

loc82
03-29-2017, 02:10 PM
I have two stock batteries and a Prosport 12 charger. I'm upgrading my sound system and it was suggested that I add a third battery because of the power being drawn. Can I get away with using two batteries? The stereo will be around 1500W RMS. I'll be anchored at the sandbar frequently when not surfing.

MLA
03-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Can I get away with using two batteries?

You need to think of it as one house battery, adding a 2nd. One should isolated as the main cranking. Yes, but the Ah of the one battery will determine how much anchor rime you get. Adding a 2nd house battery will double that. You need to come up with an approximate average current draw in DCA, and then calculate that by how long you want to play at anchor. From there, you get an idea of the needed AH.

Once you have that, you can then figure the number of actual batteries based on their size. I would suggest getting all new batteries, rather than connecting new batteries to one of your existing used batteries.

RC_Hinojosa
03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Pardon the n00bie question but are deep cycle batteries recommended for house applications? I don't necessarily think my mostly factory setup will need more than two batteries but I'd like to have as much anchor time available as possible.

MLA
03-29-2017, 07:00 PM
RC,

For a boat that is going to use one bank as an actual house bank, a deep-cycle is better suited than a standard cranking. By dedicated house bank, i mean that you intend to use house loads while the engine is off, for extended periods. We are talking more than a few minutes while switching riders, etc.

Cranking batteries we buy based on CCA or MCA (cranking amps) and deep-cycles we buy based on their Ah or reserve capacity. This tells us the length of time it will last at a given draw, to put it simply. Deep cycles take deeper and more frequent cycles compared to a standard cranking.

TrueKaotik
03-29-2017, 08:50 PM
I have two stock batteries and a Prosport 12 charger. I'm upgrading my sound system and it was suggested that I add a third battery because of the power being drawn. Can I get away with using two batteries? The stereo will be around 1500W RMS. I'll be anchored at the sandbar frequently when not surfing.
What are you upgrading to? 1500 watts total? Do you want to sit for 3-4+ hours at rest?
Your 2016 Moomba Mojo set up I know well and can answer after the few questions

RC_Hinojosa
03-30-2017, 06:19 AM
RC,

For a boat that is going to use one bank as an actual house bank, a deep-cycle is better suited than a standard cranking. By dedicated house bank, i mean that you intend to use house loads while the engine is off, for extended periods. We are talking more than a few minutes while switching riders, etc.

Cranking batteries we buy based on CCA or MCA (cranking amps) and deep-cycles we buy based on their Ah or reserve capacity. This tells us the length of time it will last at a given draw, to put it simply. Deep cycles take deeper and more frequent cycles compared to a standard cranking.
Thanks MLA! I'm guessing the factory dual battery setup is two of the same type, presumably geared towards cranking...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The_Robo_Fighter
03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Without getting too deep into "house battery" vs "starting battery" make sure you have a way to isolate dissimilar batteries. Dissimilar batteries will charge and discharge differently and can cause headaches. I purchased a craftsman multimeter with the ability to read D.C. Amps with the clip feature. The cheap clip on multimeters only do ac amps. I did this and was able to calculate my draw. Once you know the draw you will know exactly what size/ how many deep cycle batteries you need. Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

kaneboats
03-30-2017, 04:11 PM
I run two on an isolator. So I have "everyday" battery and "backup or "emergency" battery. We don't sit around and jam for more than an hour so I keep both charged and supplement with the charger at home. Occasionally I run the 2nd battery as the main battery when both are fully charged.

loc82
03-31-2017, 01:08 PM
What are you upgrading to? 1500 watts total? Do you want to sit for 3-4+ hours at rest?
Your 2016 Moomba Mojo set up I know well and can answer after the few questions
I'm upgrading to JL8.8 tower x 2 6 mx650 in the boat x 6 and a 12JLW6. I do plan on sitting at the sandbar on occasion and would like to have an extended battery life around 4 hours for music. Should I do 2 upgraded batteries or keep the two stock batteries and add a 3rd? Thank you

loc82
03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
You need to think of it as one house battery, adding a 2nd. One should isolated as the main cranking. Yes, but the Ah of the one battery will determine how much anchor rime you get. Adding a 2nd house battery will double that. You need to come up with an approximate average current draw in DCA, and then calculate that by how long you want to play at anchor. From there, you get an idea of the needed AH.

Once you have that, you can then figure the number of actual batteries based on their size. I would suggest getting all new batteries, rather than connecting new batteries to one of your existing used batteries.
Thanks again MLA. I reread this post and it made more sense after looking into batteries

TrueKaotik
03-31-2017, 06:20 PM
I'm upgrading to JL8.8 tower x 2 6 mx650 in the boat x 6 and a 12JLW6. I do plan on sitting at the sandbar on occasion and would like to have an extended battery life around 4 hours for music. Should I do 2 upgraded batteries or keep the two stock batteries and add a 3rd? Thank you
Are you Upgrading amplifiers as well? To what if so?

loc82
04-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Are you Upgrading amplifiers as well? To what if so?
yes i'll be upgrading those as well. JL M1000/5v2 and JL M600/6

iamsg9
04-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Which types of battery

TrueKaotik
04-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Run 2 D27 batteries parallel for your house bank and this will give you the run time you seek.

trayson
04-02-2017, 01:54 PM
I run 3 batteries. one is a "backup" so I don't get stranded. They are isolated with a perko switch. 2 of them for the "battery 1" setting and the other for the "battery 2" setting.

For simplicity, I have all 3 the same. I got the Walmart Everstart Maxx deep cycle group 29's. They are under $100ea and while I don't "need" a deep cycle for by backup/starting battery, it has enough CCA to start the boat just fine. Each of them is rated with a reserve capacity of 114 minutes.

Sure, I could be running AGM batteries and go with Optima or Oddessey, but for the money, I went with what will do the job and won't break the bank. Cost Effective!

http://s16.postimg.org/eym5muhr9/MAXX_29_DC.jpg

If you don't want to switch out your battery box, you'd probably go with a group 27 instead. They were almost the same price.

The General
04-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Has anyone thought about using two 6 volt batteries for the house bank?

zabooda
04-02-2017, 04:43 PM
I'd recommend the 2-6 volt battery if you have the space and handle the weight. I have a DD so I don't have a separate battery. I have used that configuration in my motor homes for the last 20 years and the golf cart batteries work best for accessories.

MLA
04-02-2017, 04:51 PM
6v golf cart batteries can be a cost effective way to get a lot of Ah. They can take some abuse, but do require frequent maintenance.

KG's Supra24
04-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Another 6v user here. 2 6v for house and 1 12v for crank.

loc82
04-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Another 6v user here. 2 6v for house and 1 12v for crank.

Since I have the two stock interstate batteries onboard can I run those together in one bank and add two 6V as my house bank? Or would it make more sense to get a third interstate battery and run it in parallel in bank 2 as the house bank.

KG's Supra24
04-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Since I have the two stock interstate batteries onboard can I run those together in one bank and add two 6V as my house bank? Or would it make more sense to get a third interstate battery and run it in parallel in bank 2 as the house bank.

I ran 3 12v in the previous boat and never had a problem. I did not order the Mojo with dual batteries so adding 2 6v made sense for me. Unless you spend a ton of time with the boat off playing music, I don't think 3 12v's will let you down. 4 batteries will take up some space.

David Analog
04-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Essentially a warm weather sport and a small block motor. I see no benefit in doubling up the two starting batteries. Either a) add one more identical 12V for a total of three, or b) remove one 12V and add the two 6V (recommended by many above).
There are schemes that have two identical banks, each consisting of two 12V deep cycles, so four total batteries. The idea is to alternate the role of the two banks each weekend, or normal interval, thereby limiting the number of deep cycles per each bank and extending the lifespan of the entire battery system. As mentioned above, any plan with four batteries consumes considerable space.

Dymond
06-19-2018, 07:06 PM
I need to replace my battery on my 2011 moomba and was looking at this add a battery kit (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems---add-a-battery-dual-circuit-system--8646275?recordNum=1). Is this a reasonable way to go?

MLA
06-19-2018, 08:28 PM
I need to replace my battery on my 2011 moomba and was looking at this add a battery kit (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems---add-a-battery-dual-circuit-system--8646275?recordNum=1). Is this a reasonable way to go?

Depends on what you are after. The DCP switch and ACR is a great setup for its manual/passive operation. But, its hard to beat the simplicity of a basic 1/2/BOTH switch. For small to moderate sized house banks, the DCP/ACR setup works great. For all sized house banks, the basic switch works great, especially for larger house banks.

Dymond
06-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks. It's a factory stereo and pumps, but we sit and use the stereo a lot so I think the DCP/ACR route would suit us best. How about battery recommendations?

MLA
06-20-2018, 10:24 AM
A standard group-24 marine cranking will be fine for the starter side. id go with a group-29 marine deep-cycle for the house side.

crazy888smokey
06-20-2018, 10:49 AM
I have 2 batteries

Kidder522
06-20-2018, 04:16 PM
I run 2 batteries with a perko switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayden
06-20-2018, 08:41 PM

I added this system this spring. It's working well so far. I did not wire up the optional SI circuit.

mor3naz0
06-20-2018, 11:23 PM
I’m just about to purchase this bad boy JUST to run my audio. All boat etc will be run from the starter battery.

Battery

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180621/6eba086ed69f6c14ee8f91204fc260b9.png

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/product/epower-b-tec-200ah-lithium-battery/

DC to DC charter

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180621/32e61927b7a50cdaf4a410b57b9f929a.png

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/product/epower-dc-to-dc-battery-charger-40a-plus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dymond
06-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Thank you all for your input.