PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tower speakers

wiegs1
03-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Just purchased a 2014 mojo and I'm not a fan of the Roswell speaker light bar. Would like to put a couple speakers that mount In the side of the tower to gain head space. Any recommendations? I was thinking a pair of exile speakers.

MLA
03-27-2017, 10:35 PM
I would suggest keeping a single pair of speaker mounted as high as possible. The lower the speaker is mounted on the tower uprights, the more dominant it is to the passengers, especially any seated aft of said speaker.

Depending on your goals, wake range, surf/party cove, best at both, there are great options from other such as Kicker, JL and Wet Sounds. There are options to mount on the OEM spots or or in an non-OEM option. Swivel/disconnect as well as fixed tube clamping options. LEDs (RGB or single color), white or black pods and in some cases, different grill color options.

Might as well factor a new amp. IIRC, the factory amp is even WAY too lite for even the OEM 6.5" speakers. Id like to see them with 2 to 3 X the wattage of the OEM amp. Ample wattage to a tower pod is crucial to its performance.

BrettLee3232
03-27-2017, 10:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the kicker 8" speakers. [emoji1305] for the price point you can't beat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
03-27-2017, 11:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kp8te.gif

David Analog
03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Just purchased a 2014 mojo and I'm not a fan of the Roswell speaker light bar. Would like to put a couple speakers that mount In the side of the tower to gain head space. Any recommendations? I was thinking a pair of exile speakers.

I agree with this recommendation....the higher the speaker location on the tower, the better it will be for the rear occupants. So whether on the vertical or horizontal section of the tower, try to find a location that is highest and widest. And perhaps that location will be suitable for head clearance.

russellsmojo
03-28-2017, 10:13 AM
The tower on the 2014 is pretty low. If you go with good sized speakers you can put on outside. I have seen several pictures on here that way. I can attest that 4 xm 9's and a full boat will produce some cuss words and bruises.

Also correct is the ear pain on rear passengers. Might think about avoiding horn speakers.

wiegs1
03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Exile has a demo deal on sxt9q surf speakers. Just put two of those near the outside of the tower will do the trick.

TrueKaotik
03-28-2017, 09:06 PM
What tower? If it's the one I think it is, your fine doing them on the inner top corners of each side. Speaker brand is your choice but nothing beats a pair of Rev10's...

loc82
03-28-2017, 09:23 PM
I just bought JL 8.8 tower speakers with the led's for $725 from ABT electronics in Glenview,IL. I spoke to the sales guy about honoring that price for other people now that the sale is over and he said yes. let me know if you're interested. They are an authorized JL dealer. regular price is $1099 or around 900-1000 on sale.

wiegs1
04-02-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm a big fan of the kicker 8" speakers. [emoji1305] for the price point you can't beat them.

Just ordered 1 pair of kicker speakers. Would like 4 eventually but not wanting to spend the cash right now. I am debating on the amp to go with. Should I go for the 4 channel amp right now or just a 2 channel? Kicker has a nice 2 channel amp that will power them nicely.

MLA
04-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Just ordered 1 pair of kicker speakers. Would like 4 eventually but not wanting to spend the cash right now. I am debating on the amp to go with. Should I go for the 4 channel amp right now or just a 2 channel? Kicker has a nice 2 channel amp that will power them nicely.

You want the Kicker KXM400.2 2 chnl over the KXM400.4 4 chnl. Its a difference of 2x the wattage.

BrettLee3232
04-03-2017, 03:08 AM

Just like Mike said, 400.2. Or you could nut up & get the 1200.2 when it comes out which will handle 4 tower speakers. Or when you upgrade to 4 speakers you need another 400.2 amp.

TrueKaotik
04-03-2017, 08:02 AM
If you want to push them to their potential and brand doesn't matter. The HTX2 will deliver the proper power for 4 or 2 speakers at 150 watts each. The Kicker 400.2 will only deliver 100 watts per speaker to 4 or 2 of them, But is your Marine choice if you want to stay all Kicker in a single amplifier. A SynDX2 will deliver around 175 watts to each speaker on a single amplifer or Two KXM400.4 will pushed each speaker at 200 watts each and is the best fit for a 8" coaxial after realistic install and tuning in a boat but it requires two amplifiers.. so choices, choices...

Sjenkins
04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm installing 4 kickers on the tower right now and went with the syn2, it'll do 175w to four speakers. It's only $299 through creative audio

https://creativeaudio.net/shop-by-brand/wet-sounds/amplifiers/syndicate-series/wet-sounds-full-range-700-watt-2-channel-amp/

MLA
04-03-2017, 08:34 PM
The Syn-2 is a perfect amp for 1 or 2 pair of 8" coaxial and at the close-out price, its hard to beat, especially if a 2nd pair is part of the final plan. If you wanted to push then to their full potential, the like Brett said, go with the Kicker KXMA1200.2 or the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2.3HP. Tons of head room from these amps for a pair of 8" speakers, either coax or HLCD.

wiegs1
04-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Done. Ordered the syn2!

wiegs1
04-04-2017, 11:14 PM
What recommendations for a wiring kit? Do I need a distribution block?