PDA

View Full Version : Friendly reminder check your trailer boat bunk boards!

_fng_
03-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Yesterday I was pulling the boat off the water when I noticed the back center bunk board floating down stream! @#%#@$%%# I found 5 other bolts that were backed out completely or completely stripped from the wood.

I fixed it temporarily by moving the board an inch down and putting new lag bolts in but was very surprised that boatmate trailers (at least 2009) uses lag bolts versus nut/bolt or carriage bolts.

New Guy
03-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Most use lag. Imagine the nasty gouge that a carriage head would leave once the carpet wears.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

jmvotto
03-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Most use lag. Imagine the nasty gouge that a carriage head would leave once the carpet wears.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

My hoist uses lag bots too, they could counter sink bolts to not effect the running surface. But it would certainly add costs and slow down the process . I will us those when they have to be redone on mine

rdlangston13
03-28-2017, 11:14 AM
When i replaced all my bunks i used a router to take about 3/4" of an inch out of the top of the board and then used bolts and lock nuts to through bolt all the boards down and fills in the excess area on top with silicone to keep water from rotting out the wood. Seems to work pretty good so far. I was in the same boat as you though with the lag bolts rusted and basically falling out of the bunks.

_fng_
03-28-2017, 08:17 PM
When i replaced all my bunks i used a router to take about 3/4" of an inch out of the top of the board and then used bolts and lock nuts to through bolt all the boards down and fills in the excess area on top with silicone to keep water from rotting out the wood. Seems to work pretty good so far. I was in the same boat as you though with the lag bolts rusted and basically falling out of the bunks.

I just use a spade bit cause I don't have a router. That silicone is a good idea, I've used 3m 5200 adhesive in the past but think that's overkill but wanted a layer of protection.