PDA

View Full Version : To all you guys that tow with half tons.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 01:39 PM
So I recently bought a new F-150 supercrew with ecoboost engine. Was told by the dealer that there would be no issue towing my 6000 lb. + craz with the truck. Upon further inspection, the standard hitch is only rated for 500 tongue weight and 5000 gross trailer weight. However, both of those numbers double when using one of those stupid weight distributing hitch contraptions. They are expensive and look like a total headache. My question is, do any of you guys use one of them? Have you upgraded your hitch? Do I have any other options?

My dealer doesn't seem to think that upgrading my hitch will solve the problem, nor are they even sure it's possible. This whole thing seems to be kind of a grey area that none of the manufacturers talk about, not to mention, it's very misleading.

I know we started to get into this topic in another thread a few weeks ago, but there was never any real clear answer. Sounds like most guys are either unaware they are over weight or they ignore it. I'm definitely concerned about insurance if an accident were to occur while I'm over rated capacity. Hopefully some of you guys can help me here, I'm sure I'm not in the minority in this particular situation.

Stazi
03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Tow my Craz with a 2014 Silverado 1500. No issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

07STI
03-24-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't have an answer, so I should probably refrain from posting. However, I can't resist.

I think the majority of wakeboats are towed with 1/2 ton's. I think 95+ % of those do not use weight distributing hitches.

With that said, I believe if it were a significant issue, there would be more regulation when it comes to disclosing towing capacity. Heck, there might even be more regulation from states and/or insurance companies to provide proof of the vehicle's towing capacity when you go to insure your boat.

I could be 100% wrong, but that's my take.

07STI
03-24-2017, 01:52 PM

We all know that 1/2 tons are capable of towing most wakeboats, but when it comes to the truck's specified towing capacity and potential insurance claims, information certainly seems to be lacking. So if your truck is rated at 1X,XXX pounds, but the hitch says 5,000, what happens if you get in an accident? Could the insurance company come back and say, "Your hitch clearly says the limit is 5,000#s. We're not covering your truck, boat, or any injuries."

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:14 PM

I know I won't have any issues towing. I towed with my old 5.4L with no issues. These manufactures rated capacities are all calculated using weight distributing hitches. If you look at stamp on your 1500's hitch, you will find that you are actually over your trucks rated limit unless you use a weight distributing hitch on your trailer.

I know I will have zero issues towing the boat. My concern is that I'm driving 140 grand worth of merchandise down the road uninsured.

beat taco
03-24-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/14016

Should take care of you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

07STI
03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
It is annoying that I went with the "Max Trailering Package", yet the hitch clearly says 5,000.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:22 PM
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/14016

Should take care of you

I think their class IV is my best option. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about a couple things.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
It is annoying that I went with the "Max Trailering Package", yet the hitch clearly says 5,000.
It's soo misleading. It's pretty clear that even my dealer doesn't understand the whole rated capacity situation either.

beat taco
03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
I think their class IV is my best option. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about a couple things.
I would run that over a wdh and be done with it.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:29 PM
I would run that over a wdh and be done with it.

That's my plan, if that hitch actually distributes the weight. The issue is not that my hitch won't handle the weight, it's that it won't distribute some of the weight to the front tires. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer if that curt hitch will actually distribute the weight. I am trying to avoid the WDH contraption at all costs.

07STI
03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
It would be nice to know if anyone has ever run this past their insurance carrier.

I would think it would only come into play if you're at fault and the alleged reason for the accident is the fact that you were towing beyond the your vehicle's (or hitch's) limits.

RC_Hinojosa
03-24-2017, 02:56 PM
My concern is that I'm driving 140 grand worth of merchandise down the road uninsured.

$140K at risk...? Get a Super Duty!

Thread\

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:56 PM
I would think they would tell you that you need a WDH to be insured towing that much. Although the manufacturers marketing tactics are a bit shady, it's pretty hard to argue with the physical stamp on the hitch. Seems like it would be very cut and dry from an insurance providers perspective.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 02:58 PM
$140K at risk...? Get a Super Duty!

Thread\
I'm in Canada. That was canadian dollars. I doubt the majority of us don't do anywhere near enough towing to justify a super duty. I certainly don't.

07STI
03-24-2017, 03:01 PM
I might run it past my carrier. I understand what you're saying, but I would think this would be much more "common knowledge" then and the manufacturer's couldn't get away with their towing capacity ratings using small print. Maybe it is common knowledge and I'm just an idiot. But if it's as simple as throwing on a different hitch (as was posted earlier), why the hell isn't that an option from the manufacturer or dealer?

rdlangston13
03-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I can tell you right now that the curt class IV hitch alone will NOT distribute any more weight to your front tires than your current set up. And its ugly. They don't have one that replaces the factory receive instead of adding one below it? My truck didnt come with a receiver and I had the dealer put on a class V and it was designed to go below the stock class III. I didnt know it until it was already on and i hate how low it sits but too late now and its not worth it o replace it.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I might run it past my carrier. I understand what you're saying, but I would think this would be much more "common knowledge" then and the manufacturer's couldn't get away with their towing capacity ratings using small print. Maybe it is common knowledge and I'm just an idiot. But if it's as simple as throwing on a different hitch (as was posted earlier), why the hell isn't that an option from the manufacturer or dealer?
You're not an idiot, I'm sure plenty of guys just go by their trucks rated capacity, I know I did on my last truck. Hell, my salesman didn't even know what he was talking about and neither did his manager. After doing my own research, I had to school them on it. Why not offer a factory hitch capable of distributing the weight. Ford does not offer one for the f150, waiting to hear what they come back with regarding aftermarket options.

mattsask
03-24-2017, 03:23 PM
I can tell you right now that the curt class IV hitch alone will NOT distribute any more weight to your front tires than your current set up. And its ugly. They don't have one that replaces the factory receive instead of adding one below it? My truck didnt come with a receiver and I had the dealer put on a class V and it was designed to go below the stock class III. I didnt know it until it was already on and i hate how low it sits but too late now and its not worth it o replace it.
Yes, the have one that replaces the factory hitch instead of going below it. You just have to select the option. I don't actually care if the weight is distributed, so long as the hitch manufacturer has rated and stamped the hitch at a weight that allows me to tow my boat. If I can get it all in writing from the manufacturer, that's all I need. I think.....

russellsmojo
03-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Does it tow good with not much sway or squat to truck? I think your fine.

Also, unless the hitch comes off the truck then I do not see insurance being a problem. Your liability coverage is pretty broad. Stupid error and even negligence do not really come into play. For example, cars tell you not to mess with your phone while driving. But you would be covered if you rear ended someone while on phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07STI
03-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Does it tow good with not much sway or squat to truck? I think your fine.

Also, unless the hitch comes off the truck then I do not see insurance being a problem. Your liability coverage is pretty broad. Stupid error and even negligence do not really come into play. For example, cars tell you not to mess with your phone while driving. But you would be covered if you rear ended someone while on phone.

I agree.

I was thinking about scenarios with everyday driving. Insurance companies could look at your rotors/pads, tire wear, and vehicle maintenance and say, sorry, we're not covering you because X wasn't properly maintained. Maybe that happens?

Again, I think if it was a big deal to be towing a 6,500# boat/trailer with a vehicle rated for 10,000# and a hitch rated for 5,000#, I would think we'd hear of a lot more accidents and things would have to change.

zabooda
03-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Try and get the info on how much the receiver is derated. They tend to be conservative so a derating by 20% would be reasonable which would be 6,250 lbs. You need to know your limitations and liability.

Woody929
03-24-2017, 08:00 PM
I read the other day that WD hitches are not to be used with swing away tongues, so that could have an impact on you as well

That Guy
03-24-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm on my 2nd F-150 and 3rd boat and have done plenty of research on the subject. I also happen to work for a major insurance company and have inquired about this a few years ago both with the company I work for as well as the company I insure some of my vehicles with. Both stated plain and simple it would not ever be an issue. You're overthinking this, plain and simple. Vehicles are way more capable today than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, yet people have always towed heavy boats, loads etc. Just drive smart like you always should and enjoy your new truck and boat!

jmvotto
03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
14 1500 Silverado and 15 1500 subrban. No issues here

trayson
03-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm on my 2nd F-150 and 3rd boat and have done plenty of research on the subject. I also happen to work for a major insurance company and have inquired about this a few years ago both with the company I work for as well as the company I insure some of my vehicles with. Both stated plain and simple it would not ever be an issue. You're overthinking this, plain and simple. Vehicles are way more capable today than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, yet people have always towed heavy boats, loads etc. Just drive smart like you always should and enjoy your new truck and boat!

I tend to agree with this one. Anytime there's been an accident, things get covered and they never dig deep and search for reasons to deny. I mean, I rolled my car on the freeway once and they didn't care about anything other than "is the car totaled" and who's "fault" was it. They determined it was my fault which simply meant it was covered under collision and I lost my accident free discount.

Now, the one thing I do know about insurance companies is that you can GIVE them a reason to think about stuff that they'd never otherwise consider. For example, when I was 16, I called and asked my insurance agent if my rates would go up with 1 speeding ticket. Shortly thereafter, they ran my record, found my ticket and upped my rates. Had I never called and asked, who knows how long it would have been before they ran my driving record.

We have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost supercrew. Our boat/trailer combo weigh 6,250 per the truck scales. The truck tows it like a boss. I wouldn't even consider a weight distributing monstrosity for my boat. I'll probably install rear airbags though, just for the butt squat.

The last thing: Has anyone ever heard one story about an insurance claim being denied because of the hitch capacity? I never have and bad news/horror stories spread like wildfire. I'm sure an insurance adjuster would look at the rated capacity per Ford, just like everyone else.

psisk1
03-25-2017, 02:22 PM
https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_III__IV_One_Piece_Forged_Hitch_Ball_Mount,40 330
I think you are referring to a standard class iv ball mount, not hitch. The class iv hitch (which is mounted to the truck) should be rated for 14,000lbs with a max tow package. My standard run of the mill ball mount is rated at 5000lbs gtw and 500lb tw

MJHSupra
03-25-2017, 02:49 PM
The last thing: Has anyone ever heard one story about an insurance claim being denied because of the hitch capacity? I never have and bad news/horror stories spread like wildfire. I'm sure an insurance adjuster would look at the rated capacity per Ford, just like everyone else.

This is what I'm thinking as I read this thread the other day. Commercial trucks have the enforced weight restrictions.

Trying to think of why the hitch and trailer would get pointed at before:
Speeding
Following Another Vehicle Too Closely
Road Rage
Improper Merging/Changing Lane
Failure to Check for Blind Spots
Frequent lane changes
Failure to use turn signals
Unsafe passing
Texting
Equipment Failure - like the trailer breaks loose
Driver Tiredness/Fatigue

But I have learned, never say never . . . . . .

mattsask
03-25-2017, 06:30 PM
https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_III__IV_One_Piece_Forged_Hitch_Ball_Mount,40 330
I think you are referring to a standard class iv ball mount, not hitch. The class iv hitch (which is mounted to the truck) should be rated for 14,000lbs with a max tow package. My standard run of the mill ball mount is rated at 5000lbs gtw and 500lb tw

No, I am talking about the hitch that is physically bolted to the truck. Like I said before, most guys are unaware that they're over the hitch's rated capacity

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/bbb57844e9dbc0f1ffca68ebca483725.jpg

mattsask
03-25-2017, 06:36 PM
This is what I'm thinking as I read this thread the other day. Commercial trucks have the enforced weight restrictions.

Trying to think of why the hitch and trailer would get pointed at before:
Speeding
Following Another Vehicle Too Closely
Road Rage
Improper Merging/Changing Lane
Failure to Check for Blind Spots
Frequent lane changes
Failure to use turn signals
Unsafe passing
Texting
Equipment Failure - like the trailer breaks loose
Driver Tiredness/Fatigue

But I have learned, never say never . . . . . .
Somebody cuts you off, you have diminished stopping power because of an undistributed load caused by an overweight trailer. Sorry, I'm just playing the Devils advocate here. I know I'm being stupid in stressing about this, and I don't want one of those stupid contraptions on my truck, nor am I sure they even work with surge brakes.... But holy crap is that ever a big what if to be driving around with.

psisk1
03-25-2017, 10:25 PM
No, I am talking about the hitch that is physically bolted to the truck. Like I said before, most guys are unaware that they're over the hitch's rated capacity

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/bbb57844e9dbc0f1ffca68ebca483725.jpg

I'll be damned!!

rdlangston13
03-26-2017, 06:06 AM
Somebody cuts you off, you have diminished stopping power because of an undistributed load caused by an overweight trailer. Sorry, I'm just playing the Devils advocate here. I know I'm being stupid in stressing about this, and I don't want one of those stupid contraptions on my truck, nor am I sure they even work with surge brakes.... But holy crap is that ever a big what if to be driving around with.

The do make weight distributing set ups specifically designed for surge brakes.

bluice311
03-27-2017, 10:48 AM
This is the exact reason why I upgraded from a Tundra to a Super Duty Diesel! We originally bought the Tundra for towing trailers (Sea-Doos, utility, previous Monterey boat, etc.) and it worked great. The very first time we took out the Moomba you could feel the truck struggling with acceleration and stopping. That is when we learned the harsh reality of weight carrying versus weight distributing and manufacturers' tow ratings. Yes the Tundra "can" pull that weight, but with a standard ball hitch that value drops to 4800 pounds, and you have to incorporate the additional occupants/gear in the truck itself.

My top priority is the safety of my family, followed by the investment of boat and truck, and the other people on the road. I'm not willing to risk all of that on the thinking "I'm sure there is a safety factor built into those ratings..." I know the Super Duty is overkill for my daily needs, but having an 8500 weight carrying capacity and a 14000 pound weight distributing capacity, I no longer have to worry about my truck doing the job it was intended to do.

mattsask
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM
This is the exact reason why I upgraded from a Tundra to a Super Duty Diesel! We originally bought the Tundra for towing trailers (Sea-Doos, utility, previous Monterey boat, etc.) and it worked great. The very first time we took out the Moomba you could feel the truck struggling with acceleration and stopping. That is when we learned the harsh reality of weight carrying versus weight distributing and manufacturers' tow ratings. Yes the Tundra "can" pull that weight, but with a standard ball hitch that value drops to 4800 pounds, and you have to incorporate the additional occupants/gear in the truck itself.

My top priority is the safety of my family, followed by the investment of boat and truck, and the other people on the road. I'm not willing to risk all of that on the thinking "I'm sure there is a safety factor built into those ratings..." I know the Super Duty is overkill for my daily needs, but having an 8500 weight carrying capacity and a 14000 pound weight distributing capacity, I no longer have to worry about my truck doing the job it was intended to do.
Would be nice, but we only tow about 1000 kms each year and 600 of them are to the dealer for service. The boat stays at the cottage for the rest of the year. I just can't justify anything bigger than a half ton. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those big boy trucks!

Broke Pilot
03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
I'll admit I didn't read his thread all the way thru, so if someone mentioned his ignore me. It got too long too quick.

One thing people don't account for is it's not the actual trailer weight but the actual pull/rolling resistance, weight. That's why those tundra pulling a space shuttle commercials are so stupid. Just cuz a trailer weighs 5k, doesn't mean it's going to put 5k of stress on the hitch. It's on wheels. The rolling resistance is completely different.
My buddy who breeds boxers has a dog named Scooby, he's a beast. He has a pull harness for him and I've seen him pull my '01 Cummins race truck. It's still over 6k even when stripped. I'm sure his Harness isn't rated for 5k pounds! See where I'm going...? You put a weight on the ground without wheels, whatever it weighs is what it takes to move it, plus any friction. You put wheels on it, you've changed the game.

So yes, a half ton will pull it no problem.
Tongue weight is another issue. Moomba should have set up the boat/trailer combo to have around 500# on the tongue. Only way to know is to have a trailer shop measure it. If not, shift the boat back until you achieve it, and then adjust the nose roller back in some form or fashion. Then you're golden. Don't jack with WD hitches, it's not worth the time or $$! Just adjust the load

MJHSupra
03-27-2017, 06:32 PM

No worries. I see what you are saying. Probably many other scenarios.

If someone cuts your off illegally, if that person stops, then I assume it would be their fault.
If someone cuts your off illegally, if they do not stop and you cause the accident, you might be up the creek w/o anyone else as a witness, thus, it would be your fault. Not sure how the trailer would be entered into the situation if the po-po or insurance company say you do not have control of your vehicle. Just like if you backend someone, you get blamed b/c of vehicle control or speed or following too close.

Overall, I'm MORE worried about my 1/2 ton Chevy and the STOPPING power. I need new brakes on my truck and I was just thinking about having them upgraded.

Pound
03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Not to get sidetracked... but has anyone seen the torque specs of the 2017 Ford Super Duty's? holy f'g hell (pardon my French). 925 ft-lbs!!!! as in NINE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-FIVE FOOT POUNDS!

and this is interesting relative to this thread..."One of the smartest innovations here is the tow hitch system, available for 2.5- and 3-inch setups. These hitches are built into the frame and extend so far underneath the truck (and use so much high-strength steel) that weight-equalizing bars are no longer required to handle the maximum tow capacity. That will save Super Duty owners a lot of time and effort when hitching up"

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2017-ford-super-duty-first-drive-king-torque

trayson
03-27-2017, 10:55 PM
I'll admit I didn't read his thread all the way thru, so if someone mentioned his ignore me. It got too long too quick.

One thing people don't account for is it's not the actual trailer weight but the actual pull/rolling resistance, weight. That's why those tundra pulling a space shuttle commercials are so stupid. Just cuz a trailer weighs 5k, doesn't mean it's going to put 5k of stress on the hitch. It's on wheels. The rolling resistance is completely different.
My buddy who breeds boxers has a dog named Scooby, he's a beast. He has a pull harness for him and I've seen him pull my '01 Cummins race truck. It's still over 6k even when stripped. I'm sure his Harness isn't rated for 5k pounds! See where I'm going...? You put a weight on the ground without wheels, whatever it weighs is what it takes to move it, plus any friction. You put wheels on it, you've changed the game.

So yes, a half ton will pull it no problem.
Tongue weight is another issue. Moomba should have set up the boat/trailer combo to have around 500# on the tongue. Only way to know is to have a trailer shop measure it. If not, shift the boat back until you achieve it, and then adjust the nose roller back in some form or fashion. Then you're golden. Don't jack with WD hitches, it's not worth the time or $$! Just adjust the load

Actually I've measured my tongue weight at the truck scales. I weighed the trailer attached to the truck. I weighed the truck while still attached to the trailer. Then I disconnected the trailer and saw how much the weight of the truck decreased when I weighed the truck w/o the trailer attached. The difference between the truck weight hitched and unhitched is obviously tongue weight.

jmvotto
03-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Actually I've measured my tongue weight at the truck scales. I weighed the trailer attached to the truck. I weighed the truck while still attached to the trailer. Then I disconnected the trailer and saw how much the weight of the truck decreased when I weighed the truck w/o the trailer attached. The difference between the truck weight hitched and unhitched is obviously tongue weight.

And the answer was?

KG's Supra24
03-27-2017, 11:23 PM
And the answer was?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lwm-bRqWDX0/Tw4KvMvGPLI/AAAAAAAAAl0/iifBMEAe0Mo/s1600/afro-shaking-head-no.gif

trayson
03-27-2017, 11:29 PM
And the answer was?

More than I wanted. So I probably shouldn't snug my boat as far forward as possible... Might try weighing it with the boat a smidge father back on the trailer.

I am getting airbags though. 8-)

Broke Pilot
03-28-2017, 12:00 AM
Yep, that's a way to do it, but it won't be 100% correct. Truck scales measure weight on the axle. Since the ball is further back it's getting leverage on the suspension. I bet you weren't as high as you thought!

Think about a gooseneck trailer vs a bumper pull. You can put way more load directly over the axle, but it doesn't change the rolling resistance weight of a given trailer. My little single cab 1/2 ton Chevy sags about 2.5" with the boat hooked up, I'm at 650# tongue weight (usually pull with my wife's megacab, super long MASSIVE truck plus a long trailer), but I have to load almost 1200# of horse feed in the bed to get the same sag out of it. That's the reason airbags work, it's a midpoint in the seesaw effect.

You can see the trailer is just touch nose down on my truck, but I hate swapping balls between trailers.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/apachedriver/96F5C12C-1C4A-41C0-9E2E-5D064F788513_zps5vwzzsfv.png (http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/apachedriver/media/96F5C12C-1C4A-41C0-9E2E-5D064F788513_zps5vwzzsfv.png.html)

trayson
03-28-2017, 01:49 AM
Yep, that's a way to do it, but it won't be 100% correct. Truck scales measure weight on the axle. Since the ball is further back it's getting leverage on the suspension. I bet you weren't as high as you thought!

Think about a gooseneck trailer vs a bumper pull. You can put way more load directly over the axle, but it doesn't change the rolling resistance weight of a given trailer. My little single cab 1/2 ton Chevy sags about 2.5" with the boat hooked up, I'm at 650# tongue weight (usually pull with my wife's megacab, super long MASSIVE truck plus a long trailer), but I have to load almost 1200# of horse feed in the bed to get the same sag out of it. That's the reason airbags work, it's a midpoint in the seesaw effect.

You can see the trailer is just touch nose down on my truck, but I hate swapping balls between trailers.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/apachedriver/96F5C12C-1C4A-41C0-9E2E-5D064F788513_zps5vwzzsfv.png (http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/apachedriver/media/96F5C12C-1C4A-41C0-9E2E-5D064F788513_zps5vwzzsfv.png.html)

Okay, I think I'm kinda tracking with ya. Leverage, fulcrum, and some interesting geometry...

On my last boat, I was able to actually put both axles of the trailer and the tongue jack on the truck scale at once. so I was able to find out what the trailer weighed by itself and also hitched up. I figured the difference on that was obviously tongue weight.

But on the XLV, it was too long to have the tongue jack on the scale along with both axles... so I had to do it how I described above... Too bad I don't have free access to the scales at the garbage dump, because those are LONG!

In Oregon, on some highways, they have truck weigh stations that are seldom staffed. They actually have the scales operational at all times so you can just roll up and weigh without having to pay anything or anyone messing with ya. It's kinda cool.

Broke Pilot
03-28-2017, 02:06 AM
My sister uses one of these for her horse trailers, they're not 100% accurate, but close enough for government work... lol
She has a couple different trailers and this makes it easy to know if she should shift s horse off the axles depending on how much tack and feed she's hauling too
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Weigh-Safe/WS4-2.html?feed=npn&gclid=CM-MisfD-NICFQiHswodpWcFVQ

russellsmojo
03-28-2017, 08:25 AM
And the answer is to get a leveling system. Poor handling comes from front tires not being grounded properly. You can see that even the SA does not squat the Tahoe that much because of leveling system.

If concerned about brakes then switch to electric trailer brakes. I would also suggest having brakes checked on trailer. I had a loose line. After the trailer shop worked them over and bled them properly wow! I have great trailer brakes. They made the comment that many surge brake systems do not get bled properly at factory and never maintained by a customer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/572c9c9d3b8f906c416366fa5d051c37.jpg

mattsask
03-28-2017, 09:22 AM
And the answer is to get a leveling system. Poor handling comes from front tires not being grounded properly. You can see that even the SA does not squat the Tahoe that much because of leveling system.

If concerned about brakes then switch to electric trailer brakes. I would also suggest having brakes checked on trailer. I had a loose line. After the trailer shop worked them over and bled them properly wow! I have great trailer brakes. They made the comment that many surge brake systems do not get bled properly at factory and never maintained by a customer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/572c9c9d3b8f906c416366fa5d051c37.jpg

Are you talking air bags?

chester
03-28-2017, 09:32 AM
This link has a nice summary of the different brands and their conventional (non W.D. hitch) towing capacities. It is from 2015, but from the Ford info listed from the OP and my own research into the GMC Sierra I want it, seems fairly accurate to today still.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11/know-your-pickups-weight-carrying-limits.html

russellsmojo
03-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Yes. Gm calls it magnetic ride with leveling. Not sure on Ford. It will cut out a lot of the lean when turning and overall squat.

bluice311
03-28-2017, 09:50 AM
This link has a nice summary of the different brands and their conventional (non W.D. hitch) towing capacities. It is from 2015, but from the Ford info listed from the OP and my own research into the GMC Sierra I want it, seems fairly accurate to today still.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11/know-your-pickups-weight-carrying-limits.html

Nice find!!

mattsask
03-28-2017, 10:29 AM
That's probably the meal ticket for me. I pulled her up from storage yesterday and hooked up to the new truck for the first time. Not as bad as my old truck, but it's definitely got some squat.

mattsask
03-28-2017, 10:29 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/56a2ac020970bc70e64423d94454dc88.jpg

sivs1
03-28-2017, 10:44 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/56a2ac020970bc70e64423d94454dc88.jpg

Squat......

Loaded or Empty? Curious if you were heading out for a long camping trip and both truck and boat were loaded with gear what it would look like. When I had my Ram 1500 I purposely paid extra for the load leveling suspension.

mattsask
03-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Squat......

Loaded or Empty? Curious if you were heading out for a long camping trip and both truck and boat were loaded with gear what it would look like. When I had my Ram 1500 I purposely paid extra for the load leveling suspension.
Boat had zero gear in it and most of the stereo equipment and all seats are in the garage. Truck is totally empty as well.

trayson
03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Boat had zero gear in it and most of the stereo equipment and all seats are in the garage. Truck is totally empty as well.

I have some squat as well. with the 6" lift it might be more visible. I have airbags in the garage waiting to be installed.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160407_133619_zpslcb0rxi6.jpg

mattsask
03-28-2017, 11:49 AM
I have some squat as well. with the 6" lift it might be more visible. I have airbags in the garage waiting to be installed.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160407_133619_zpslcb0rxi6.jpg
Which bags did you go with, Trayson?

KG's Supra24
03-28-2017, 11:55 AM
I've had good success with the Firestone Ride Rite bags. Had them on the last truck for 5+ years and just installed a set on the new truck.

trayson
03-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Which bags did you go with, Trayson?

Firestone Ride Rite. Then I picked up the airlift wireless one controller.

Although you reminded me. I need to get a pair of spacers to make the airbags work with my lift...

beat taco
03-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Save a bunch of money and buy Air Lift. Get $75 of for adding a controller. If you can pop for the more expensive of the two wireless controllers.

chester
03-28-2017, 01:51 PM
My only thought is make sure you are not overloading the rear axle. 500-800 lbs shouldn't cause that but would be a good thing to verify

russellsmojo
04-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Here's a punch in the gut (ego)! Tesla has same towing capacity!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/a57420d4fa7e804bc780512097480106.jpg

Woody929
04-05-2017, 10:29 PM

First a Supra, now a Tesla??? What's going on over there? [emoji848][emoji3]

russellsmojo
04-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Haha. I stole this picture. Not shopping. Just made me laugh out that Tesla can tow same as new F150. Even better is the photoshopped G series. Haha.

BrettLee3232
04-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Haha. I stole this picture. Not shopping. Just made me laugh out that Tesla can tow same as new F150. Even better is the photoshopped G series. Haha.

A G under 5k??? Lol

trayson
04-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Yeah.... There's a LOT of vehicles out there that claim a 5k tow rating. A Jeep Cherokee from the 90's, our 2009 Honda ridgeline, a 2002 Jeep Liberty... Sorry, even with Ford's disclaimer on bumper tow, there's no way in hell that any of those tow "the same" as our F150 supercrew... Just goes to show that many are very ambitious with their ratings and some are more conservative. I'd put our F150 against any of the above without hesitation.

rdlangston13
04-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Being electric I am sure teslas have tons of pulling power. I just wonder how long that battery lasts under that much of a load

zabooda
04-06-2017, 01:59 PM
"Being electric I am sure teslas have tons of pulling power. I just wonder how long that battery lasts under that much of a load" The problem is the lag on an electric motor created by the drag when accelerating produces a large amount of heat. I'm not sure if the Tesla has liquid cooling on those motors so heat dispersion would could be a problem.

rdlangston13
04-07-2017, 12:26 AM
"Being electric I am sure teslas have tons of pulling power. I just wonder how long that battery lasts under that much of a load" The problem is the lag on an electric motor created by the drag when accelerating produces a large amount of heat. I'm not sure if the Tesla has liquid cooling on those motors so heat dispersion would could be a problem.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Just know that most of the most powerful stuff out there is electric. Trains (diesel engines to supply electricity for electric motors). Ships with azipods (diesel electric). My cement unit at work, 1250 hp electric motors.