PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 2012-2015 Moomba Outback V

wakeboarder6687
03-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone, I am hoping to find a well equipped 2012-2015 Moomba Outback V. I'm not in a big hurry, I'd like to spend a bit of time getting to know the owner or dealer prior to purchasing and probably asking a bunch of questions. I am new to V-drive wakeboard boats but I have done a lot of research already and I really like what the Outback V has to offer. I would not consider myself a hardcore wakeboarder but I think the Outback V would be a nice upgrade from the I/O's that I have grown up riding behind. I would also like to get into wakesurfing.

I haven't had any luck finding these boats in my area. I live in Pittsburgh, PA which isnt exactly a hotbed for Moomba dealers or wakeboard boat owners in general.

Does anyone have any helpful tips of what to look out for? Common problems or tidbits that I may not have seen in my research? I really appreciate any responses I get back on this, I value your opions on this forum.

I also have a 2009 Yamaha FX SHO that I would be parting ways with if a deal goes through if anyone is interested.

A few things I am hoping for:
Moomba Digital Cruise
Gelcoat Interior
Wakeplate
Surftabs
Chrome Moomba graphics
Stainless Steel Rub Rails

Stazi
03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't think surftabs were even a thing when the Outbacks were being made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wakeboarder6687
03-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Maybe not as we typically see them today with the flow surf systems. And maybe I am calling it by the wrong name. Flow surf 1.0? But in the promotional materials they show a manually adjusted plate for carving a better wake on either side of the boat.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company67008/337628_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

wakeboarder6687
03-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Maybe not as we know them today but in the promo materials they show a manually adjusted plate that can carve a better wake on either side of the boat.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company67008/337628_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

wolfeman131
03-21-2017, 02:43 PM
I'd take the manual flow (surftabs) off your list & use one of the suck gates. There is a lot of info on here for how you can build your own and there are plenty of places to purchase one, including brain_rinse on this forum.

(2) on onlyiboards that fit your criteria:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-ski-boats.aspx?MakerName=5&YearFrom=2012&YearTo=2015&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&Model=187&ZIP=&Distance=

Good luck!

kaneboats
03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Hmmm. Boat from MN = short season = good condition used boat with low hours. Check for proper winterization though.

wakeboarder6687
03-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the great responses already. I will certainly have to check out the 2 boats mentioned on onlyinboards as well as the suck gate that wolfeman mentioned.

kpanderson07
03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
I have a 2014 Outback V that I bought new in 2015. It has been a great boat for me and my family of 5 (kids are young). It is usually just us but we can easily take another family with us with no issues. We can surf and board just fine with factory ballast plus the wake is decent for some slalom runs also and of course tubing with the kids. I built a suck gate and it makes a huge difference in the wake for surfing. I posted pics of before and after in a post previously if you want to check it out. I bought 750's for the rear lockers and an IBS for the front over the winter so I am excited what the bigger ballast does for surfing. I'll probably do a FAE for this summer also. It is a great boat for the money.

wakeboarder6687
03-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Wow thank you for the great input Karl. It definitely has me excited to get one of my own. I'm glad you've had good experience with it.

patrick232
03-23-2017, 10:37 PM
If your not set on the outback V. I have our 2014 Mondo for sale with manual flow.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-Moomba-Mondo-20-6--for-sale-Hilliard-Ohio-59537.aspx
It's currently in my heated warehouse in Grove City, Ohio. Just south of Columbus. If you want to drive over I can put it in the water anytime, just bring a wetsuit if you want to board behind it.

BrettLee3232
03-24-2017, 01:53 AM
If you want to surf at all i would think you should be spending a few more dollars on a Mondo. Just my opinion but I think it will hold better reseal value as well. It's a deeper boat & just feels a lot bigger than the outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeboarder6687
03-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I can understand everyone's reason for upgrading to a Mondo. They have a lot to offer. But honestly I think the smaller feeling OBV suits me better. I would primarily be using it on smaller lakes and rivers. I would be trailering it anytime I'd want to use it so lighter would be easier on my truck and gas mileage. Also, I would like to keep this in a garage which is another plus for a smaller boat. My parents have a 2006 Four Winns Horizon 180 that we routinely put 5-6 people in so a 20ft wakeboard boat that holds 12 is going to feel very roomy compared to that.

Bottom line, I don't want to be boat poor either. The OBV is already at the top of my budget and upgrading to a Mondo would easily be another 5-10k. I need to save for maintenance, gas money, and accessories!

That Guy
03-27-2017, 02:42 PM
All good reasons for buying the right boat. However don't think that all 20' boats are made equally. I'd also take that people rated # with a grain of salt, unless you have a handful of friends that are legless or midgets, just my .02. I too started looking for an OBV about 4 years ago when I was coming from a 96 Malibu direct drive, after sitting in/seeing an OBV side by side with pretty much ANY other wake boat, I stopped looking at them. I personally don't think it's a length/width issue, but a depth issue the OBV suffers from. But everyone is different so you may be fine with one. Happy shopping!

mikenehrkorn
03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
If you want to surf at all i would think you should be spending a few more dollars on a Mondo. Just my opinion but I think it will hold better reseal value as well. It's a deeper boat & just feels a lot bigger than the outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beg to differ a bit with this opinion......I have upgraded our 2013 OBV with 900# rears, an IBS and a suck gate and I believe that it surfs pretty darn well. It won't be mistaken for the newer models with the deeper hulls, but does the job nicely especially if your budget doesn't really allow the bigger boats.

wakeboarder6687
05-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Hey guys I think I found a winner. I really like the colors on this and looks really clean and nice low hours. I've been in touch with the dealership and asked for more high quality pics and got the typical "lets call and talk". Its a 10 hour drive for me to get out there so I wish they would be a little more willing with send out better pics first but maybe they are just trying to gauge how serious of a buyer I am. I will probably talk to them later this week. The previous owners bought it as a closeout and only used it a few seasons before they traded it in for a MasterCraft. They said they took it out on the water and tested everything with no issues and said to be in great condition. It was serviced by this dealership the past 2 fall seasons.

Any more words of wisdom? Anything else I should ask about? Anyone have any experience with this dealer?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Moomba-Outback-V-2013-Low-Hours-Clean-for-sale-Madison-Wisconsin-65859.aspx

wakeboarder6687
05-18-2017, 03:35 PM
I was just informed that the boat is pending sale. I guess I'm going to have to keep looking. I emailed them the same day it was posted to onlyinboards. I guess there is still a pretty strong market for these, or just my bad luck.

zabooda
05-18-2017, 03:53 PM
It would have sold real quick if it had Bucky the Badger on the side.

Starrski
06-02-2017, 08:21 PM
I've had my obv 11 for 3 years. Searched for something with a decent slalom and board wake and was very pleased how well it does for both. Also wanted a boat that I could store in my garage, fit the bill. Overall happy with the boat. If I was purely out for a wake board/surf boat I would have bought bigger and deeper but this thing does exactly what I wanted it to do. Good luck